Roy Jones Jr. at 154.

CastletonSnob

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Do you think Roy could have won a title at JMW? If he did, he would have been the first fighter ever to win titles from JMW to HW.

Do you think Roy could have won a title at JMW? If he did, he would have been the first fighter ever to win titles from JMW to HW.
Yeah it's possible after all Roy competed at the Olympics at 156. It's not that much of a stretch think that he could have cut enough to make 154 but it's also worth noting that when he started boxing pro he only had 2 fights at 154 before making the move to 160. So there must have been a reason that he chose to compete at the heavier weight.

Last time he was at that weight he was a teenager i think right?

So could he have kept strength with the right nutrition plan etc, perhaps....

But it'd possibly make it so he couldn't effectively go to heavyweight....he was effective in a very relative sense as is, so if he had even that little bit more to add it might not have worked on the back end to face Ruiz

I might have explained that poorly

I don’t think so. Look how tiny (and pissed) he looks when he lost the gold. I don’t think he could keep making that weight as he grew.

Then against Harris in 1992 he’s so much bigger already- I can’t imagine how he’s weigh in 14 lbs lighter

By the Toney fight he was reportedly at 175 around fight time.

he was absolutely lethal at jmw/mw, only question is, could he have stayed at the weight long enough to win a title, not if he could do it. He was already very sinewy and muscular for the weight.

Looking at his fight weights, he last fought at 154 in 1991.
I’m sure he could have won a title depending on the matchups. Julian Jackson and Terry Norris would have been too much for a Roy with little to no experience.
Roy would probably have beaten guys like Dele, VanHorn, Rossi and Pazienza even with little pro experience. Even the 89/90 version of Mugabi was shot to bits and it wouldn’t have surprised me if Roy KO’ed him at that point.

Yeah. What about rjj at ww. WitH his middleweight size speed and power... or even the light heavy weight version at ww. Wow! Could ya imagine?

Back