Roy is just a risky match up for anyone

Mitrione was doing pretty good actually, until he got cracked obviously.

Awful fight from Mitrione though. It was obvious early that the jab and body kicks would be a strong weapon for him in that fight, but instead he decides to just stand in front and trade with Nelson, giving Nelson a chance to land his main weapon on the feet.

People tend to underestimate Roy still and I am sure that his looks and his overall persona are the cause of it, but he is a mid level heavyweight, slightly above gatekeeper level. Yes he can be dangerous but in the HW division, everybody is dangerous. Very few guys at HW can be overlooked as far as knockout power, Roy has good timing but he isn't going to catch too many guys on the feet that are implementing a disciplined striking game, he will eat most brawlers for lunch though.

Nelson hits like a truck, has a very good ground game and an iron chin.

No one should take Nelson lightly. The guy went three rounds against JDS and wasn't KOed though he got seriously outcalssed by JDS superior standup abilities.

I was cringing when i kept hearing Joe Rogan keep saying over and ovary again that Matt is an "incredible athlete" and he has some "incredible speed"...oh boy.

Mitrione is not a better striker than Roy, what are you even saying?

Mitrione is terrible, he thinks WAY too highly of himself. He thinks he's some MMA hybrid athlete like Jon Jones and Anderson Silva or something. He is not.

I wouldn't say he's terrible, i think he began to show some solid stand up skills while he was pressing but seemed like he gave up ground easy and Roy walked him down. Betting on Mitrione was a huge gamble in that fight! Roy is definitely a dangerous fight for anyone even JDS

What I don't understand is why Roy does not get in shape and becomes a real threat. The fact that JDS could not put him away speaks for itself. What is so hard about losing fat and gaining muscle if you are an athlete for life? I shape Roy Nelson would be kung fu master.

Anyone who can eat your bombs and throw some back is a threat.

I was cringing when i kept hearing Joe Rogan keep saying over and ovary again that Matt is an "incredible athlete" and he has some "incredible speed"...oh boy.

Duuuude, haven't you heard he was in the NFL? Therefore he can go to any sport he wants and have the athleticism advantage over anybody! Even went he goes shopping he does it like a real athletic NFL man, forever part of the clan of semi-gods who are the best athletes in the whole universe! The best base in MMA isn't wrestling or BJJ, it's NFL! Because of athleticism! Do I mention he is also the better athlete?

LOL at "ovary" anyway :icon_lol:

I would LOVE to see Roy vs. Hunt at some point and just have them throw bombs for 3 minutes until someone is laid out.

Roy Nelson will be HW champ at end of 2013. JDS was cut and gassed in theor fight in the 3rd round and Roy was taking over in the 3rd... with 2 more rounds Roy would have won

I would LOVE to see Roy vs. Hunt at some point and just have them throw bombs for 3 minutes until someone is laid out.

this is my dream fight!! Hunt vs Roy would be insane, it will only last 2 minutes in a violent KO. who you got?

I think he'd take Mir in a rematch. And yeah, he's a high risk fight for everybody - very little to gain, but a hard fight no matter the opponent.

Roy trains his standup hard with Jeff Mayweather. That timing isn't an accident, hes getting very good.

that one shot KO power is always a gamechanger

this is my dream fight!! Hunt vs Roy would be insane, it will only last 2 minutes in a violent KO. who you got?

Hunt is a vastly superior striker.

But it wouldn't make a difference, as Nelson would just take him down eventually and submit him.

like mitrione's striking, but he showed weaknesses with his defense throughout the round. can't just duck and cover during flurries against big hitting hw's.

I don't really like Roy but I have to admit he's a hell of a fighter. You just can't afford to stand with him unless you have elite-level striking and a decent chin as well.

Also his willingness to take a 15 minute ass-whooping at the hands of top-5 guys always makes for great entertainment. It's a trend I can see continuing because so few mid-tier guys can out-point him for 15 minutes without eating that right hand.

I would love to see Roy in there with Overeem.

Would be amazing. I could see Roy's face getting caved in in that fight though!

one of my friends that doesn't even do bjj talks alot of shit and thinks he can sub blue belts lol and he has the exact same look on his face as mitrione, even same build he reminds me of him so much.

does he take wrestling or is he just a complete idiot. wrestlers usually have that mentality of superiority so that wouldn't surprise me. and wrestlers doing bjj if they haven't trained have glaring weaknesses, they are VERY easily caught in guillotines and rear naked chokes. not to mention they have no idea in hell about certain submissions or of sweeps.

Back