Rowdy vs Cyborg will happen

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by BROKENSPROKET, Aug 2, 2015.

1. BROKENSPROKET

BROKENSPROKET just lurkin

I am convinced that Rowdy plans to make this fight, the last fight, of her career.

[YT]OKxK__eOrJg[/YT]

If Cyborg did not get busted for steriods, stripped of her belt and Strikeforce eliminated the 145 division, we probably would have seen this fight already. Consequently, there was no 145 Champion or 145 Division to bring into the UFC, when Strikeforce closed shop..

Cyborg is the one that fucked that all up. So, as it appears, the only chance Cyborg has for this fight is to make 135. All she has to do is make 135 without any health issues and win that fight, and she has a fight with Rousey.

I seriously don't think that Cyborg can make that cut, but that is another discussion. I only mention it to bring up another possibility for Cyborg.

[YT]qcXBiRYJeME?t=25m52s[/YT]

We may see this fight at a catchweight of 140, but that is not a possibility until Rousey has cleaned out the division, meaning that she can no longer sell the fight with an opponent. Correia was not even close to being a #1 or even legitimate contender, but she still sold that fight, and signs indicate it is trending bigger that UFC189.

If she did fight Cyborg next at 140 and won, that would greatly diminish her ability to sell fights. Who would pay money to see Rowdy fight bantamweights after she beat Cyborg.

Rowdy began fighting to 'pay the bills'. Every decision she makes is a business decision. She probably has money put away to start her own gym when she retires. She may want to pay for her kids college before they are even born.

So, if she gets to the point where there is no competition left or fights to sell at 135 AND Cyborg still cannot make 135, the fight might happen anyway.

IF a 'Rowdy vs Cyborg' PPV could to 2.5 million buys, I really think she would do it it at 140, but it won't be until there are no other fights left to sell at 135.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
  2. kenetics

kenetics Silver Belt

Cyborg by tko

3. BigMuffler

BigMuffler Loli is love loli is life!

I would find it hilarious if after losing a 3rd time to Ronda, 'Neo' went to 145 and beat Cyborg just to spite R3 and deny her the superfight.

4. Fight Professor

Fight Professor Gold Belt

UFC probably has a bigger say in that than Ronda.

5. Gladiatorz

Gladiatorz Brown Belt

Rowdy by hiptoss the fuck out

6. JoeJohnston

JoeJohnston Purple Belt

pppssshhhh...crazy son. UFC fears Viacom now. They are on ice with everyone now. UFC don't have that money. Big Brother WILL take it over

7. BROKENSPROKET

If Rowdy told Dana and Lorenzo that she is retiring and said she would make her last fight against Cyborg at 140, they would jump on it. How could they pass up on such a huge PPV.

8. DaGenius

DaGenius Silver Belt

Haters may hate but Ronda winning like she did only pushes the money up for the cyborg.

I've been less hopeful before but I'm sure the fight will be made

9. I WILL CUT YOU

I WILL CUT YOU Calamity from the Heavens Platinum Member

Cris will never submit to enhanced drug testing.

10. BROKENSPROKET

Ever since Tate vs Eye was labeled as a #1 Contendor fight, and Tate won, the idea started rolling around in my head that if Tate comes into that fight with a pretty substantial fanbase, and loses, they would start a 125 divison and have Tate vs Zingano fight for the vacant title.

11. rbastid

rbastid Brown Belt

Ronda probably figures the longer she waits, the more the hype, the more she makes.

If she gives the fans this fight, and wins, her career is over, no one will care to watch what comes after because she just beat a monster that outweighs her, come fight time, by twenty five pounds. But if she drags things out another year or so she'll make more money and then have her big fight, which she'll finish and then walk away from the sport.

She needs to drag this on for as long as possible, look what happened to Gina, she thought she can leave MMA and do just movies, except without MMA no one cares about her, so she never got the big movies. If Ronda fights Cyborg in December she'll see her MMA career and Movie career pretty much dry up.

12. IngaVovchanchyn

IngaVovchanchyn Titanium Belt Platinum Member

If Cyborg beat Tate it would be her best win imo. The problem is that Tate is very hittable, and Cyborg hits hard. However, Tate is also very durable and grinds down opponents. I would favor Cyborg, but I think Tate has a much better chance against Cyborg than most would give her credit for, even at 145, though clearly Cyborg would as usual enjoy a significant size advantage at FW.

13. BigMuffler

BigMuffler Loli is love loli is life!

Zingano weighs like 155 lbs these days though, she'd probably have to drop muscle to drop back to 125.

14. The_Renaissance

The_Renaissance Sherdog Bunceweight Champion

Itll never happen. Cyborg won't ever make weight. Even if she could, I'm leaning towards her avoiding this fight coz, as a Rousey hater who used to think Cyborg would kill her, I now think Ronda probably throws her down off a flurry and finishes her easily. Cyborg doesn't want that on her legacy. I hate Rousey and never watch her fights, I dislike WMMA, but I just think she could flurry, eat a right hand or two, clinch and easily toss Cyborg on her head and armbar her. Cyborg might hit hard and is basically more man than woman to look at, but her striking isn't anywhere near as good as I used to think it was. Rousey's sucks too, but she doesn't give a fuck.

15. djacobox372

djacobox372 Gold Belt

Some facts:

1) The UFC could make a 145 division whenever they want to

2) The fight at 145 would be a bigger event, and do far more for Rhonda's legacy than if she forced cyborg to drain herself to 135.

3) There's no reason to make the fight at 135 other than to handicap cyborg, which means they don't think Rhonda's good enough to beat her at 145.

16. eiyuu

eiyuu Silver Belt

And Tate can take a hard shot. I doubt Cybro punches harder than Julie Kedzie kicks . . .

[​IMG]

17. JBJ was here

JBJ was here Yellow Belt

No, they really, really couldn't. If you think depth at women's BW is bad, women's FW is a whole lot worse. There's a depth of about two legitimate fighters; after that they're all at the very low end or worse than the fighters the UFC has in their women's BW division.

18. Malthian

Malthian Purple Belt

Fixed.

Here's the reality:

1) The UFC isn't going to create an entire division if there isn't enough fighters to actually make money selling the fights. Rousey was doable because she was highly marketable as well as dominant. Additionally at the time of the creation of the 135 division there was at least 5-6 viable challengers (fights). Tate, Davis, McMann, Carmouche and Kaufman were all viewed as viable challengers. Rousey wasn't viewed as being nearly as dominant as she had only defended her title once in Strikeforce when she joined the UFC.

Straw weight had other factors making the creation of the division viable. While they didn't have any highly marketable stars like Rousey, 115 had considerable depth. While JJ is currently now on top, even now the 115 division is still shaking out. Contender status is still murky and JJ is far from being universally acknowledged as dominant.

145 has Cyborg and..... nobody. Who are you going to put in the octagon other than Cyborg? Faith van Duinn? Charmaine Tweet?

2) 145 won't be a bigger event than 135. At best you could argue it's a wash. However, the main push on the ticket sales will be Rousey. Cyborg can be pushed to some extent, but only on name value (which is minimal). The masses couldn't care less whether the fight is at 135 or 145, however it's easier to market that the title is on the line than when it's not. Only hardcore fans worry about the actual weights of the fighters. The casual fans (the vast majority) only care about the fact that the fight is happening and the names of the fighters involved.

3) There's plenty of reasons not to make the fight at 145. There's no 145 division for Cyborg to compete in within the UFC. There would be no title on the line. There would also be no avenue for the UFC to book additional fights for the winner should Cyborg win other than more catch weight fights. Holding the fight outside of the champion's weight class in a non-existent division would also devalue the 135 championship belt.

The UFC always wants to be able to say that the champion is the best fighter in the world. Having any fighter be the best and NOT holding the belt and NOT fighting for the UFC is bad for business, bad for the division and bad for the UFC.

You may not care about what's good for the UFC, WMMA or the existing 135 division but you can guarantee that the UFC and Rousey care about it. Rousey has spoken repeatedly about how she believes it's important that WMMA continues to exist and thrive within the UFC after she retires from the sport.

Holding the fight at 135 for the title makes the most sense for Rousey, for the UFC and for WMMA.

Holding it at 140 benefits only 1 person... Cyborg. Which is fine if all you care about is Cyborg. If you care about the long term benefit of the sport, then you want the fight to take place within an established weight division and you want whoever wins to hold the UFC Championship belt.

So, here's Cyborg's choices...

1) Make 135 and fight.
    2) Don't make 135 and continue chirping like a chihuahua.
    3) Shut up and wait until there's enough 145 fighters for it to make sense for the UFC to create a 145 division.

Anything else is wishful thinking, childish tantrums, and selfish desire.