routine!

groin striker

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Im pretty new to stength and power used to do all the body building workout so Ive decided to change things! this is my workout now been doing it a few weeks am I missing anything??

day1

db press
incline db press (can't bench press because it messes my shoulder up so i db press instead)
tate press
weighted push ups
millitary press

day2

deadlift
weighted pull ups (wide grip)
bent over db rows
bb rows
shrugs
db curls

day3

squats
box squats
quad assitt
leg extensions
weighted sit ups

day 1: Too much pressing in one workout. Focus on one or two main lifts, and then maybe an assistance movement.

day 2: DB rows AND BB rows on the same day? Pick one and drop the other. Switch up next time. Personally, I would alternate each week between the weighted pull-ups and a rowing variation. As far as the shrugs, if you're pulling heavy on the deads you're beating a dead horse. Unless you're just wanting big traps for the sake of big traps (I can empathize if that's the case...big traps are mucho macho).

day 3: Leg extensions? LEG EXTENSIONS!?!?! Seriously, you're squatting AND box squatting in the same workout and THEN you feel you need leg extensions? Drop the LE's, pick a squat variation, go heavy, and go home.

Just my two cents.

So if I'm doing heavy squats on my "leg" day, I should cut out the leg extentions? What about leg curls? Probably makes sense since you're working the same muscle (quads).

Dash_Riprock said:
day 1: Too much pressing in one workout. Focus on one or two main lifts, and then maybe an assistance movement.

day 2: DB rows AND BB rows on the same day? Pick one and drop the other. Switch up next time. Personally, I would alternate each week between the weighted pull-ups and a rowing variation. As far as the shrugs, if you're pulling heavy on the deads you're beating a dead horse. Unless you're just wanting big traps for the sake of big traps (I can empathize if that's the case...big traps are mucho macho).

day 3: Leg extensions? LEG EXTENSIONS!?!?! Seriously, you're squatting AND box squatting in the same workout and THEN you feel you need leg extensions? Drop the LE's, pick a squat variation, go heavy, and go home.

Just my two cents.

well i wudent mind big traps who wudent!! well ive tried doing less exercises and goin as heavey as possible but it just seems like when im finished im still not tired!

groin striker said:
well i wudent mind big traps who wudent!! well ive tried doing less exercises and goin as heavey as possible but it just seems like when im finished im still not tired!

Feeling tired is not a pre-requisite of getting stronger. Don't seek fatigue...seek strength. There are more than a few out there who believe that you should feel better at the end of your workout than at the beginning.

If you want to build muscle, then yes, you'll have to generate fatigue. Otherwise, let your lifts determine your progress and not how you feel at the end of a workout.

neosamurai1979 said:
So if I'm doing heavy squats on my "leg" day, I should cut out the leg extentions? What about leg curls? Probably makes sense since you're working the same muscle (quads).

Personally, I don't like leg extensions period. The idea behind the LE is that you are isolating the quad muscle via the knee flexion. Squats are a superior lower body developer for a variety of different reasons. Squats develop the hips, quads, hams and glutes...all of the prime movers. If you are squatting, then you don't need leg extensions. If you are deadlifting (conventional and other variations of it) then you probably don't need leg curls. Again, the leg curl is an isolator whereas squats and deadlifts put stress on the entire structure.

just looks a little high on the volume to me. i do a warmup, then 5 sets at 5 reps for my main lift, 4 sets of 6-8 on my next lift, and by that time im ready for something easier because im burned out. i used to do a bodybuilding influenced routine as well and i could do many more exercises with a 3 set, 8-12 rep scheme - lower reps and higher weight will tax your body much more.

colinm said:
just looks a little high on the volume to me. i do a warmup, then 5 sets at 5 reps for my main lift, 4 sets of 6-8 on my next lift, and by that time im ready for something easier because im burned out. i used to do a bodybuilding influenced routine as well and i could do many more exercises with a 3 set, 8-12 rep scheme - lower reps and higher weight will tax your body much more.

yeah im pretty dead after each work out maybe i could cut back on some of it, on leg day i can barely walk out the gym!

I do train bjj also I would like a rotine that would improve my strengh for bjj also!

Back