4x10 BOR
Pullups
3x15 Full Contact Twist

++FRIDAY++ (Endurance)
3x20 Squats
Pushups MAX
Pullups MAX
3x10 Curls
Ab circuit (Decline situps, russian twists)
Various cardio

What do you guys think?

I'd do it like this:

Day One: Pull
Deads
Squat
BORs
Chins

Day Two: Push
Bench Press
Front squats
OH Press
Dips

And then for endurance I would focus on smoe circuits/complexes with cool dynamic lifts such as push press, SLDLs/RDLs, OH Squats, Step ups, etc. I'd also throw in some GHRs and hypers on that endurance day

Looks pretty good to me. I would only do 1 set of 20 rep squats though.

For the 3x5 on both Monday and Wednesday are you doing the same weight?

It's a lot of squatting but it's got all the requirements for a good program.

Looks pretty good to me. I would only do 1 set of 20 rep squats though.

I think that depends on how he plans to do the 20 rep squats, is it's rest pause with something like your 10 RM then i would agree, if he's doing high reps with his actually 20RM then it should be fine

I think that depends on how he plans to do the 20 rep squats, is it's rest pause with something like your 10 RM then i would agree, if he's doing high reps with his actually 20RM then it should be fine

Ya my thoughts exactly, and I'm pretty sure it's for endurance purposes since it's on his "endurance day" and he is already squatting 2x a week otherwise

For the 3x5 on both Monday and Wednesday are you doing the same weight?

My plan for the squats was to rippetoe it like using the same squat weight both times, then add some weight the following week.

Without having any idea of what your strengths/weakensses/goals/training history/etc. it is next to impossible to make accurate suggestions, but in general I would offer the following advice and changes your program:

With 3 days you'd be better off with the following basic principles and outline:

Monday - Max Strength Development

15-20 total sets
1-5 reps
3-5 exercises
2-4 minutes rest between sets
8-10 minutes rest between exercises

Wednesday or Thursday - Alactic Power Development

12-18 total sets
3-4 exercises
5-15 seconds per set
1-3 minutes rest between sets
6-8 minutes rest between exercises

Friday - Strength Endurance Development

10-14 total sets
3-4 exercises
40-60 seconds per set
30-60 seconds rest between sets
8-10 minutes rest between exercises

Since I assume you are a relative beginner it is okay to train max strength, power, and endurance all in the same microcycle but as you progress you will need to separate them out and focus on specific areas, this is called unidirectional or concentrated loading. In general, your program will be much more effective when your microcycle (training week) is separated according to specific motor ability targets (type of strength development) than just separated by bodyparts.

^^I still think my idea is the best, but yours is ok too... I just think it's smart to train movements(push/pull) instead of body parts(upper body/lower body).

Interesting EZA. On your Alactic Power days... given that there is a max strength day of 1-5 reps... can I assume that you're suggesting DE type work? If so, will this have a significant difference (in alactic power) vs. doing heavy singles (for example). I would think that they'd both fit the bill for Alactic Power. Is it just a way of getting more training in without beating up the CNS? Or am I completely off in left field in regards to what you're suggesting. :icon_chee

TS,

Even if I kept your same theory of 2 strength days and 1 endurance day, I'd make all of the days full body and switch the endurance day to Wed. Chose different exercises for each full body day though. I think the extra frequency will do you more good with only lifting two days. But EZA's suggesting is very interesting, in my opinion.

^^I still think my idea is the best, but yours is ok too... I just think it's smart to train movements(push/pull) instead of body parts(upper body/lower body).

I honestly see no difference in push/pull vs. upper/lower other than personal preference.

just do the rippetoe then. why change things?

or do two days full-body, then one day endurance.

or the "no need for complication" routine:

Elitefts Training Information

I just think it's better to follow a tried and true programme for your first 1-2 years. Especially the rippetoe or bill starr programmes. then branch out from there.

Monger,

There is a fundamental difference in training maximum strength and training alactic power in that one is primarily training the nervous system and the other is training nervous system and the power of the alactic energy system. Short-term explosive power is a key component of MMA and it needs to be trained accordingly. DE work would be one example of what could be included on an alactic training day, but you can also include plyometric and shock training work, fight specific drills, etc. on that day as well.

I wouldn't include heavy singles on that day, but a more advanced athlete could use what Verkhoshansky calls the complex method where you perform a series that includes a max effort exercise with a shock training or explosive exercise. This is VERY demanding on the CNS though and should only be used for brief periods of time by more advanced athletes.

Over time the alactic power day will progress into alactic capacity and rest intervals between sets will be shorterened while work intervals are longer, this is how explosive power endurance is developed.

The microcycle sequencing I suggested has to do with hormonal output and CNS but there are a lot of complex physiological reasons to sequence it that way. I have used s similar microcycle with many high level MMA athletes at various points. You would not want to perform the endurance day on wednesday after performing the max effort strength day on monday.

Breaking up training by movement pattern is really just a different way of breaking up by bodypart, it's not much better. The loading in microcycles should be distributed according to specific motor targets that need to be developed and sequenced according to the short-term and cumulative effects of their loading. This is much more complicated than just push/pull or chest, arms, etc. but it is also much more effective.

Thanks for the reply, EZA. It's much appreciated and informative.

Back