Routine Help Needed

Big H

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yeah I've read FAQ etc, but I got a different situation.

Basically my squat rack is outside, and I live in london = shit weather so I can't use it when it is raining. It wont fit in my shed either. I got my bench in there though.

So on days it rains I can only front squat via powerclean.

Any advice on changing routines to adapt to the weather?

If it rains i guess since i cant powerclean that much i should do lots of sets to get a good amount of volume with front squats.

Or I could try build some kind of tent to cover the squat rack if my parents allow me to. Any ideas?

Kill the parents and then deadlift them.

The tent would be the first option. Either something that's easy to take up and take down, so it's only up when necessary, or something of higher quality that will look half-way decent. Like how some decks or patios are covered.

Kill the parents and then deadlift them.
deadlifts arent the problem :icon_conf
The tent would be the first option. Either something that's easy to take up and take down, so it's only up when necessary, or something of higher quality that will look half-way decent. Like how some decks or patios are covered.

i dont know shit about garden furniture will look it up. im guessing some fancy umbrella roof shit is gona be pretty expensive :icon_sad:

must be done tho i guess.

Do split squats and bulgarian split squats with your foot on a bench or chair. Since theyre unilateral youll be using much lighter weight allowing you to minipulate the bar more easily. You could do them anywhere.

deadlifts arent the problem :icon_conf

i dont know shit about garden furniture will look it up. im guessing some fancy umbrella roof shit is gona be pretty expensive :icon_sad:

must be done tho i guess.

It doesn't have to be that expensive if it's do it yourself.

Do split squats and bulgarian split squats with your foot on a bench or chair. Since theyre unilateral youll be using much lighter weight allowing you to minipulate the bar more easily. You could do them anywhere.
yeah i looked that up a while ago, and read tht they shouldnt ever replace regular squats. i will definately do them but only as supplementary to the squat which id like to be able to do regularly somehow.
It doesn't have to be that expensive if it's do it yourself.

the most DIY thing ive ever done is saw through a piece of wood.

I'm slightly confused about why water falling out of the sky prevents you from putting a heavy weight on your back and squatting down with it.

I'm slightly confused about why water falling out of the sky prevents you from putting a heavy weight on your back and squatting down with it.

Chalks role is to control a small amount of moisture from perspiration, and think about the kind of difference it makes. Now imagine if instead of a bit of sweat of the hands, everything is wet. That doesn't sound safe, or like great conditions for making solid gains.

if there are trees or something around the squat rack you suspend a tarp at an angle over your squatting area so the rain would just roll off to one side. Or you can put the rack in your room... that would be sweet!

For some odd reason this thread pisses me off in a major way. I seriously get tired of hearing people bitch about stuff that as a young man I was willing to bear without even thinking about it. I probably shouldnt, but I do all the same.

When I was about 12 I used a post hole digger to dig holes for a couple of 4 by 4's, stuck them in the ground, and used very large nails in them at an angle for a squat rack. This was OUTSIDE. I trained in the rain, and when it was really cold. I lived in Kansas. It storms there, it gets cold in the winter. I squatted in pouring rain. I squatted in high wind with snow on the ground in a winter coat with "long johns" under my sweat pants, gloves on my hands and a stocking cap on my head.

If I could stand it at 12-13 years old, then get yourself out there in the rain and freaking squat. why would you not squat just because it is raining?

there is always a way if you want it bad enough.

tarp-30198.jpg

Wet bar, soaked clothes. Barbell/Squat rack/plates RUSTING etc

if there are trees or something around the squat rack you suspend a tarp at an angle over your squatting area so the rain would just roll off to one side. Or you can put the rack in your room... that would be sweet!

i got the shed next to it, i will take some pics of the garden set-up tomorrow to get some ideas. no trees

and i would love to put it in my room (upstairs) but im sure if i failed a lift it would be bad news

For some odd reason this thread pisses me off in a major way. I seriously get tired of hearing people bitch about stuff that as a young man I was willing to bear without even thinking about it. I probably shouldnt, but I do all the same.

When I was about 12 I used a post hole digger to dig holes for a couple of 4 by 4's, stuck them in the ground, and used very large nails in them at an angle for a squat rack. This was OUTSIDE. I trained in the rain, and when it was really cold. I lived in Kansas. It storms there, it gets cold in the winter. I squatted in pouring rain. I squatted in high wind with snow on the ground in a winter coat with "long johns" under my sweat pants, gloves on my hands and a stocking cap on my head.

If I could stand it at 12-13 years old, then get yourself out there in the rain and freaking squat. why would you not squat just because it is raining?

i wouldnt mind getting wet but i dont want all my shit to rust when i spent money on it. i wana be able to use my stuff for years.

Pwned.

If you are really worried about your equipment, stick 4 posts around your rack and stretch a tarp over them or build a roof over it or something. I'm sure you can figure out a way to get it done.

i wouldnt mind getting wet but i dont want all my shit to rust when i spent money on it. i wana be able to use my stuff for years.

Now that is a reason I can understand. I didnt have to worry about that, when I started I had a bunch of old "Sears" weights that were concrete covered with plastic, dont even know if they make them like that anymore, and my bar was a simple 1 inch affair without sleeves and collars, it was just a simply long piece of steel that my grandfather got for me and heat treated himself. He had a machine shop, so knew how to do such things.

But yes, if you have a nice bar that you spent money on, I can understand not wanting to screw it up.

I can see two options. One is to wipe your bar down with a rust preventative after each time it gets wet. I guess a better alternative would be to figure out how to build something to keep you dry when you squat.

Something else I just thought of would be to search around for a cheap crappy bar, and just leave it outside and dont worry about it. Then you could do things like squats and stuff with it outside. you should be able to find a used crappy bar for $20 bucks or less if you look around. That might be the best option.

yeah i looked that up a while ago, and read tht they shouldnt ever replace regular squats. i will definately do them but only as supplementary to the squat which id like to be able to do regularly somehow.

the most DIY thing ive ever done is saw through a piece of wood.

He was offering a compromise that fits your situation. Of course they arnt but they are better than nothing which is what your currently doing. which is just skipping it.

Back