Routine Check please

FirstNobleTruth

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Hey, I was hoping you guys could glance over my routine real quick. I know there's another thread on the front page with a routine review, but I can't read German haha. I'm 6', 195, primarily looking to lose fat right now and am going to be lifting mostly to mantain and get a good basis in the main lifts I've neglected for as long as I can remember (squats, deadlifts, etc, you know, the most important ones). And yes, I've read all of the stickies many times, and I also remembering looking at Carnal's site a couple of times, but I couldn't find it when I made this routine last week (if anyone can give me a link if it's still up, that'd be great). Anyways, it's a basic 3-day split.

Pull
Deadlifts 5x5
Barbell Rows 3x8
Upright Rows 3x8
Shrugs 3x8
Lat Pulldowns 3x8
Curls
Wrist Curls

Push
Bench 5x5
Incline Dumbbell 3x8
Skull Crushers 3x8
Shoulder Press 3x8
Close Grip Bench 3x8

Squat
Squat 5x5
Front Squat 3x8
Leg Press 3x8
Still Leg Deadlift 3x8
Calf Raises 3x8

Couples notes and questions. I know curls, wrist curls, and calf raises are not looked upon too highly here, but I figured I can throw them in at the end of my lifting if I have time, and not really worry about them too much. I put stiff leg deadlits on my squat day, but I've seen them on both deadlift and squat days, so I wasn't really sure. I'm thinking of taking out leg press and instead doing lunges, because I'm not even sure if my college weight room has a leg press (course, I've never seen anyone do anything other than bench and curls in there, so who knows). Additionally, what is the big difference between squats and front squats? As far as the main lifts, do the weights stay the same throughout the 5x5, or do they increase as you go (kind of a pyramid scheme)? For instance, if were to do 135 for squats, would I do 135 for all 5 sets of 5 reps, or change it as I go? Anyways, thanks a lot of any help, great board you have going here too.

-Frontsquat = more Quads than Backsquats
-there are different approches to the 5x5 rep scheme ( but i think at any of them you stay with the same weight for your workingsets) but you should definatelly warm up.
-Lunges instead of legpress should be a good idea
-Pull ups instead of Lat pull downs
-go heavier with the rows
-more sets for the shrugs

What is "Traps"?

graedy said:
What is "Traps"?

Sorry, I don't know the exact name for the exercise, but it's done with a barbell while standing. You hold the barbell at your waist with a pretty narrow grip and bring it straight up to your chin. Randy Couture does it on his conditioning lifting video. That's the best explanation I can give really.

cant it be helpful for pushing up other lifts, like a supplementary exercise

FirstNobleTruth said:
Sorry, I don't know the exact name for the exercise, but it's done with a barbell while standing. You hold the barbell at your waist with a pretty narrow grip and bring it straight up to your chin. Randy Couture does it on his conditioning lifting video. That's the best explanation I can give really.
upright rows.........

Does it involve the trap much?

To be honest, I'm not really sure. I've always assumed it does, but now that I think about it I haven't researched it so I'm not sure. I'll edit the original to read upright rows. By going heavier on rows, do you mean more sets/reps? More sets on shrugs, gotcha. As far as the 5x5 goes, that article listed a lot of variations, one of which was the same weights for all the sets. Which variation seems to be the most successful? I know it's probably just one of personal preference, but there's an off chance there's a big difference between them. As far as pullups...well I can't do many pullups, if any lol. I'll give it a shot though, and can always fall back on lat pulldowns if I have to. Thanks a bunch and keep it coming everybody.

upright row hit the traps but, powercleans, high pulls and powershrugs > upright rows

better to replace your upright rows and shrugs with 6-8x3 of power shrugs

They are shrugs with legdrive. If you can jump its not enough weight.

Ted-P said:
upright rows.........

Does it involve the trap much?

Up-right Row's use the front deltoids more than anything else.Traps are the secondary muscle.

here are my suggestions: replace upright rwos with power cleans or power snatches. Instead of doing leg press and front squat, do one unilateral quad dominant movement and one hip dominant unilateral movement. Otherwise, the rest is fine.

Thanks. Does anyone know of a site that shows power shrugs? Also, I've seen 'unilateral quad dominant movement' and 'unilateral hip dominant movement' a couple of times here, but I have no idea what they mean.

FirstNobleTruth said:
Thanks. Does anyone know of a site that shows power shrugs? Also, I've seen 'unilateral quad dominant movement' and 'unilateral hip dominant movement' a couple of times here, but I have no idea what they mean.

Adding lunges and step ups would satisfy the unilateral quad and hip demand.

LOL! I googled for a powershrug description and look what i found:

ShoulderShrug.JPG

(Thats not a powershrug. Just in case...)

But i think shrug with legdrive is easy to understand.

Back