Routine Advice and Opinions

Miguel Guerrero

Amateur Fighter
Reaction score
Hey there, im looking for advice for my weightlifting routine, don't worry I read the FAQ a long time ago, I just want to see your opinion on it.

Im 5'9, 160 pounds... I train BJJ 3 times a week, im looking to gain around 5-6kg (I guess that would be around 10-12 pounds) for next summer, I guess thats a realistic goal. Am I wrong?

The thing is im looking to gain size and strength, but im not eliminating the "esthetic" aspect, im not looking to realize a 5x5 routine or a strength only program, I want to gain some lean muscle and size as well, knowing that Diet is the most important aspect. I would train 3 times per week, tuesdays thursdays and saturdays (M-W-F Bjj), my routine consists of a simple 3 day split Pull Push Squat:

ROUTINE A

DAY ONE

Deadlift: 4x10-8-6-4
Pullups: 3x8-6-4 (with weights)
Barbell Row: 3x10-8-6
Dumbbell Alterning Curls: 3x10-8-6

DAY TWO

Bench Press: 4x10-8-6-4
Dips: 3x8-6-4
Inclined Dumbbell Flyes: 3x10-8-6
Triceps Rope Extensions: 3x10-8-6

DAY THREE

Squat: 4x10-8-6-4
Leg Press: 4x10-8-6-4
Overhead Dumbbell Press: 3x8-6-4
Bent Over Rear Deltoid Raises: 3x10-8-6

ROUTINE B

DAY ONE

Pullups: 3x8-6-4 (with weights)
Dumbbell Rows: 3x10-8-6
Barbell Curls: 3x10-8-6

DAY TWO

Bench Press: 4x10-8-6-4
Inclined Dumbbell Press: 3x8-6-4
Declined Dumbbell Flyes: 3x10-8-6
Skullcrusher: 3x8-6-4

DAY THREE

Squat: 4x10-8-6-4
Calve Raises: 4x15-12-10-8
Military Press: 3x8-6-4
Lateral Dumbbell Raises: 3x10-8-6

I would spend 6-8 weeks on one routine then switch to the other one. Im hoping some muscle gain will aid me when grappling, and will help avoid injuries while rolling. And will overall benefit me.

Well, what do you think?

PS- I know that there is a low enfasis on the legs in comparison to the other big muscle groups... but the fact is I ride my bike for transportation means daily (im a college student) and I really believe my upperbody needs more work.

wanting a size and hypertrophy goal isn't bad. I woukd DEFINITELY change that stuff around though.

Why do you use descending reps?

Firstly, I would not do high rep deadlifts, a 3x3, ramp up to 1x5, or anything with a high intensity and low volume would be good.

For accessory lifts I would keep the traditional 3x8-12 thing going, not 10-8-6 or whatever.

Actually for all lifts I would keep the rep ranges consistent. For your squats, if you plan on doing both routines, and switching it up, have one high rep, like 3x8-12, and the other a 5x5 or 8x3. High rep squats does alot for hypertrophy.

OR...

you can skip all that and use ws4sb, which has been proven effective.

I agree with above poster, the decending reps are kina stupid, I would rather do heavy 5x5, or 3x5, 3x2, and then maybe do one or two backoff sets?
Doing 10reps before a 3rep set, would not be ideal for strenght gains.
WS4SB sounds good, have you considered starting strenght?

If you plan on sticking with the push-pull-squat routine, I would advice you to do more "bang for the buck" exercises, as wendlers says it. ie. Forget the curls, dumbbell raises, calf raises, leg press and flies.

I would set it up somthing like this, hopefully somone more experienced in the field will stepo in and correct me, but intill then:
Squat:
Squat: 5x5
Squat: 5x10 ?
Lunges 5 x 10?

Pull day:
Deadlift: Working up to 5,3 or 1 max
OH Press: 3x3
Chins: 5x5 w/weight
Curls, if you want

Push day:
Bench Press: 5x5
BORS: 5x5
Dips: 5x10 w/ weight

Last edited:
You do realize a 5x5 is not a "strength only" program and will put muscle on you so long as you are eating enough?

Also when you write something like this:

Do you mean 4 sets of 10 reps, followed by 4 sets of 8 reps, followed by 4 sets of 6 reps, followed by 4 sets of 4 reps? I sure hope not... I suppose the more logical thing is you just mean 4 sets in total. One set each at 10,8,6, and 4 reps. But that's just a weird way to write it.

You do realize a 5x5 is not a "strength only" program and will put muscle on you so long as you are eating enough?

Also when you write something like this:

Do you mean 4 sets of 10 reps, followed by 4 sets of 8 reps, followed by 4 sets of 6 reps, followed by 4 sets of 4 reps? I sure hope not... I suppose the more logical thing is you just mean 4 sets in total. One set each at 10,8,6, and 4 reps. But that's just a weird way to write it.

Obviously im talking about 4 sets of first 10 reps, then descending. Piramid style. I dont know whats so wrong about descending reps, you start lighter then go and keep on adding weight until you can do only 4 reps (or 6 depending on the exercise). Its quite a common lifting method.

The thing is, I know 5x5 helps gain mass as well obviously, but while I am interested in basic compound lifts, I also want some not so basic lifts to aid arm, shoulder hypertrophy. Im no expert, thats the reason I posted this.

Would it be better for me to lift consistent reps (these being low as you said) instead of descending? Why?

You know what, I've been looking older posts here, and hell... should I ditch this routine and go with Mark Rippetoe's starting strength?? Could I gain 10-12 pounds of mostly muscle mass from here to next summer?

You know what, I've been looking older posts here, and hell... should I ditch this routine and go with Mark Rippetoe's starting strength?? Could I gain 10-12 pounds of mostly muscle mass from here to next summer?

Easily. As long as you're eating enough.

Using Starting Strength you could gain 10-12 pounds of muscle mass before Christmas if you are willing to eat enough.

Great. I'll go with the professional whos dedicated his life to his routine rather than my own experience then :p

Thanks for the advice!

Starting Strength is the shit. It's fun to make programs, as long as one realizes that they will be worse than SS.

Could I gain 10-12 pounds of mostly muscle mass from here to next summer?
Research what eating enough is. I gained 15kg (roughly 33lbs) this year. It was too easy.

Eat, eat, eat, squat, squat, squat, deadlift, deadlift, deadlift, sleep, sleep, sleep

Back