Rousey vs Cyborg at 140lbs

aalovski

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
This will most likely happen one of these days...but I just have one question.

What is with all of this talk about Ronda fighting at 135 and people onboard with her not wanting to move up to a 140lb catch weight? Seriously? It is 5lbs. We are not talking about 15-20lbs here.

People like Anderson Silva moved up from 185 to 205, BJ Penn moving down from WW at 170 to LW at 155, etc etc.

I would hope that Ronda is just building the UFC hype train for the sake of marketing and sales, but I hope there isn't any truth to it. If 5lbs holds this fight up, it would be an absolute disgrace. Cyborg is the one who is going to struggle cutting that weight much more so than Rousey anyway.

God forbid Ronda fights someone who could potentially beat her...

It's a business thing. The 140 catchweight is great for Cyborg (and the fans), but makes no sense for Ronda and the UFC. Hence, they won't do it.

It's a business thing. The 140 catchweight is great for Cyborg (and the fans), but makes no sense for Ronda and the UFC. Hence, they won't do it.

Just ridiculous. I think Cyborg would rough her up on the feet to be honest, but then in round 2 most likely get arm barred.

This will most likely happen one of these days...but I just have one question.

What is with all of this talk about Ronda fighting at 135 and people onboard with her not wanting to move up to a 140lb catch weight? Seriously? It is 5lbs. We are not talking about 15-20lbs here.

Because steroid cheats deserve no concessions

And Cybro signed a contract with the UFC that she will fight at 135 lbs . . .

Cris 'Cyborg' Justino signed to UFC

"...the terms of her UFC contract stipulate that the Brazilian must first make the 135-pound bantamweight title weight limit and compete at that class in InvictaFC. If Justino does that, and presumably wins, she would then get to fight in the UFC."

. . . so if Cybro can make 140, like you said "it is 5 lbs."

Lose the weight or shut up Cybro.

Always nice to see the first response be the best response.

"...the terms of her UFC contract stipulate that the Brazilian must first make the 135-pound bantamweight title weight limit and compete at that class in InvictaFC. If Justino does that, and presumably wins, she would then get to fight in the UFC."

As far as women go yes because females taking male hormones blurs the gender line.

Ronda is following the Mayweather playbook and delaying the big fight while still making money fighting cupcakes. The more she puts it off the more money she will make when it happens.

Wow. Never seen this EXACT SAME THREAD.

Bingo!

Additionally, as a fan, I'm all for seeing a 140lb catch weight fight. Would be great. But it wouldn't be for a title. So then what happens?

Part of the allure is that the title is up for grabs. If they had a 145lb division and it was for both belts or some craziness, that would be the tits.

I think Rhonda has proven herself against better competition in the better org, sure some of it is timing and luck, but the amount of interest she draws is amazing.
I think its just silly to make her do anything different to fight someone else lower ranked than her.

Maybe Cyborg can beat her, it is always a possibility in MMA.
But it doesnt mean she gets special circumstances in order to still mantain her advantages.

And yes, at that level of competition every ounce counts, every advantage is sought.
I think it better to be upset over people taking advantage of the rules and cutting too much weight.
Dont think Cyborg is naturally huge like that, she trains for power.
Its part of her strategy.
Also i find it funny how people pick and choose which fighters that got caught cheating they are going to be mad at.

It wont happen at a catchweight.

It will happen at 135 or it will never happen.

People keep saying why doesnt ronda move up,Its simple the ufc does not have a 145 female division and they wont allow there champion to fight a 1 off fight against someone who doesnt fight under there main umbrella

Yup. Shouldn't be an issue if they give her 4-6 months to prep.

Hey I'm Brown now! Only took me 8 years LOL

Ronda would get lit up on the feet. Maybe that's why she is delaying?:rolleyes:

Lol. Seriously though, I could see Ronda winning via Arm Bar round 2 or 3, but she would get lit up on the feet.

Yup. Shouldn't be an issue if they give her 4-6 months to prep.

Hey I'm Brown now! Only took me 8 years LOL

And they've given her 3 years to do it. She was supposed to do it last Nov/Dec, then pulled out with an injury and fought at 145 again. Then after that she said "135 for realsies" and now she is saying 140 or bust. Well... bust.

Absolutely nothing new to see here, and we all knew it before we even clicked on it.

Total noob thread that doesn't even deserve serious discussion.

Ronda is following the Mayweather playbook and delaying the big fight while still making money fighting cupcakes. The more she puts it off the more money she will make when it happens.

I don't care for Mayweather but Pac was the one delaying the fight.

Are you really that lazy?

Back