Rousey Sparring

SummerStriker

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
When you do this type of pummeling, I was taught to switch the feet with each change of position to keep the lead foot on the same side as the underhook.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=794705463886720

She's pummeling while keeping the same stance and it looks odd to me.

Am I wrong to think that the footwork needs to go with the pummeling (because it looks like the silver medalist disagrees with me) or is there a reason to do it either way?

If you're looking to throw to the same side regardless of grips, then keeping the feet the same makes sense. My guess is that's why Rousey does it that way. I pretty much always throw to the right regardless of gripping to I tend to lead with my right foot regardless of orientation.

If you're looking to throw to the same side regardless of grips, then keeping the feet the same makes sense. My guess is that's why Rousey does it that way. I pretty much always throw to the right regardless of gripping to I tend to lead with my right foot regardless of orientation.

That makes sense.

I guess the main reason I knew to switch feet is that if you have an underhook on the opposite side as your lead leg, the underhook is highly vulnerable to a wizzer.

I disagree. But I'm no mma fighter nor a silver medalist.

That makes sense.

I guess the main reason I knew to switch feet is that if you have an underhook on the opposite side as your lead leg, the underhook is highly vulnerable to a wizzer.

They are just warming up.

I bet the guy said to Ronda, "let's warm up by doing unrealistic over and under arm exchanging." And Ronda said, "okay, whatever."

If she was actually sparring she wouldn't have her stance that way... she wouldn't even have to underhook on her weak side.

I bet the guy said to Ronda, "let's warm up by doing unrealistic over and under arm exchanging." And Ronda said, "okay, whatever."

If she was actually sparring she wouldn't have her stance that way... she wouldn't even have to underhook on her weak side.

Not really but then again, when you drill do you tell your partner "Do unrealistic defense of armbars while i go back and forth between armbars".

Your view of training seems pretty egotistical, pummeling is done by both individuals to create a natural motion of grip fighting.

Underhooking on the weak side is perfectly fine if you're working towards double unders, which is of course a great position to throw from.

I think Holt would have a fit if he saw that video.

Underhooking on the weak side is perfectly fine if you're working towards double unders, which is of course a great position to throw from.

Because you can use your grip on the opposite side to keep them from whipping you around?

Because you can use your grip on the opposite side to keep them from whipping you around?

If you have double unders you're totally in control in almost every scenario. You don't really have to worry that much about being whipped around because you can basically lift them off their feet, you're in total control of their center of gravity. You can drop for a double, hip throw, etc. while the other person can do very little other than try to regain an underhook. They can potentially whizzer one arm and throw you off of it, but it's going to be pretty hard if you're getting your hips in close like you should.

If you have double unders you're totally in control in almost every scenario. You don't really have to worry that much about being whipped around because you can basically lift them off their feet, you're in total control of their center of gravity. You can drop for a double, hip throw, etc. while the other person can do very little other than try to regain an underhook. They can potentially whizzer one arm and throw you off of it, but it's going to be pretty hard if you're getting your hips in close like you should.

They can also double overhook, but that's only viable before you get deep on the double unders/if they're able to make space.

[YT]316CtEvqQlk[/YT]

That's pretty cool for Thai boxing but in MMA with someone like Ronda I think you're going for a ride as soon as you base up to put the knee in her side. I'm not saying it couldn't work, but context is important here and I think you'd find yourself on your back before you broke the clinch.

That only applies when there is chest to chest contact, without chest to chest contact the guy with the double overhooks is actually in a better position, although risky.

The only legit pummeling drill is the one that Holt put out.

Back