rousey makes weight at UFC 207, and then rolls out.

Not stopping for pics or anything for the media...

you know, it wouldn't bother me much, if the UFC wouldn't have called out Conor's fight at UFC 200 just for not doing media...

I don't like either fighters, but I do think that what applies to one has to apply to others.
this is becoming ridiculous how UFC treats fighters differently.

anyone disagree?

Note: before you say "they bring more money", I do understand that point. but that's why they get paid more.
The promotion should be neutral, and not play favorites like that!

Conor may have got his way if it wouldn't have been UFC 200. I also don't think the UFC wouldn't have let Ronda get away with not doing media for UFC 200.

The lack of promotion is a more effective marketing tool than the promotion IMO.

At least there seem to be more threads on it.

Why are some MMA fans such crybabies? They get butthurt about the stupidest of stuff.

WME being her manager is a major conflict of interest...the fix is in

It's the same thing as pay. It's a contractual term. If a fighter demands a certain amount of money to fight, the UFC decides whether the fighter is worth paying them that. In this case, Ronda decided she wasn't willing to fight if she had to do media, and the UFC decided it was worth it to make the deal to get her back in the cage. It's no different than someone demanding a first class ticket to the fight city, or a driver when they get there, or a suite at the hotel, etc. If a fighter can get it, they should take it, because fight careers don't last that long.

Will other fighters follow suit? It seems unlikely that many (any) have the stroke needed for the UFC to decide a PPV with them doing no media will still make the company enough money. Conor has that type of star power, but doing media and all the Mystic Mac stuff is a big part of his appeal to many fans (as opposed to Rousey who became a huge star despite coming off badly more often than not when she talks). I could see Brock asking for something like this in his contract if he ever fights again (or just to have Paul Heyman do all his media obligations). We'll have to wait and see if anyone else makes a similar demand, but the thing is, they'd have to be willing to walk away if the UFC doesn't give in for the demand to work.

Having clauses for special treatment other than pay also isn't unusual in other sports. Some players get no-trade clauses, others don't. Some get player-options for additional seasons, others don't. Others ask for drivers, or special locker room facilities, or perks for their families.

Your comparison to Conor and UFC 200 is a false equivalency. Conor signed a contract that required him to do media and then tried to back out of doing a press conference. Saying they're letting Rousey do the same thing is just flat-out wrong.

I don't know what you mean by "the path to the championship should be the same for all players." That's certainly not the case in MMA, never has been, and never will be. Even discounting favortism, fighters will have different opponents and different records on their way to fighting for and winning championships. I'm not sure what that has to do with this, though.

I disagree.
I hear what you are saying, but a driver is inconsequential and non-comparable to media day.
All players participate in training. All players have to wear uniforms.
All teams have to win enough to make it to the playoffs and then win their playoffs games to get to the finale and win the title.

It doesn't matter if they are new players or coveted/famous veterans.

the discrepancies I am talking about is a lot different.

Much how Aldo was denied to move up to LW to fight Pettis while they allowed Conor to do just that.
Much like Conor was not allowed to not do ONE media day while Ronda was allowed to skip it all.
much like how Holloway had to win so many fights against top opponents while Conor bypassed the top 3-5 in both divisions he got title shots for (or Lesnar getting a title shot after being 2-1 overall in MMA)...

This is not about one fighter. This is about rules that should apply to everyone.
The promotion should not play favorites exactly because then each fighter will start trying to make demands and it screws with the sport of MMA as a whole.

So I assume you're Cyborg's boyfriend then?

{<jordan}
LOL how pathetic.
I am saying the same thing should apply to every single fighter.

this has nothing to do with one particular fighter.

But it seems you are so stuck in ROnda's ass, you can't see it.

I disagree.
I hear what you are saying, but a driver is inconsequential and non-comparable to media day.
All players participate in training. All players have to wear uniforms.
All teams have to win enough to make it to the playoffs and then win their playoffs games to get to the finale and win the title.

It doesn't matter if they are new players or coveted/famous veterans.

the discrepancies I am talking about is a lot different.

Much how Aldo was denied to move up to LW to fight Pettis while they allowed Conor to do just that.
Much like Conor was not allowed to not do ONE media day while Ronda was allowed to skip it all.
much like how Holloway had to win so many fights against top opponents while Conor bypassed the top 3-5 in both divisions he got title shots for (or Lesnar getting a title shot after being 2-1 overall in MMA)...

This is not about one fighter. This is about rules that should apply to everyone.
The promotion should not play favorites exactly because then each fighter will start trying to make demands and it screws with the sport of MMA as a whole.

You're right that it's not about one fighter. It's bigger than that. The UFC has unilaterally made changes to fighter contracts such as requiring them all to wear Reebok, instituting USADA testing, etc. This is a fighter getting something back and making the UFC submit (pun intended?) to her demands. That's a good thing for the fighters, imo. You're looking at this as the UFC playing favorites. I'm looking at it as a fighter making a stand rather than just going along with the UFC's normal Draconian contract stipulations. I can't help but think that if GSP got a stipulation like this in his contract many of the people complaining would be commending him for sticking it to the UFC. Since people don't like Rousey, it's one more thing to complain about.

Fighters getting more bargaining power is a great thing for them. I, personally, don't really care about fighter pay or any of those issues (because none of the fighters care about how much I get paid either), but I would never begrudge anyone who tries to get all they can. Taking away the power of a fighter to negotiate such things just makes things even more imbalanced than they already are. If you want to see changes in how the UFC treats fighters, it will take mega stars like Rousey and Conor and Brock to make it happen. So I say good for them. If you don't want to do twenty of the same interviews with every crappy MMA website, get it in your contract. If you want to ensure you get a title shot if you win a supposed no. 1 contender fight, get it in your contract. If you want a driver, a masseuse, a cook, whatever, get it in your contract. If the UFC doesn't want to give those things, they can counter with more money.

Nah.
Pathetic is you, whiteknighting someone you do not know, and talking about you obviously have no clue about.

<33>
child please.
If anything, I am speaking that it is unfair what UFC did to Conor but allowed Ronda to do.
I didn't even speak about Cyborg, you brought her up.
And it is just because you got your panties in a wad because I dare to mention Ronda...

As I said, pathetic.

child please.
If anything, I am speaking that it is unfair what UFC did to Conor but allowed Ronda to do.
I didn't even speak about Cyborg, you brought her up.
And it is just because you got your panties in a wad because I dare to mention Ronda...

As I said, pathetic.

Just thought it was a funny comment. You know, everything considered.

;>>>>

You're right that it's not about one fighter. It's bigger than that. The UFC has unilaterally made changes to fighter contracts such as requiring them all to wear Reebok, instituting USADA testing, etc. This is a fighter getting something back and making the UFC submit (pun intended?) to her demands. That's a good thing for the fighters, imo. You're looking at this as the UFC playing favorites. I'm looking at it as a fighter making a stand rather than just going along with the UFC's normal Draconian contract stipulations. I can't help but think that if GSP got a stipulation like this in his contract many of the people complaining would be commending him for sticking it to the UFC. Since people don't like Rousey, it's one more thing to complain about.

Fighters getting more bargaining power is a great thing for them. I, personally, don't really care about fighter pay or any of those issues (because none of the fighters care about how much I get paid either), but I would never begrudge anyone who tries to get all they can. Taking away the power of a fighter to negotiate such things just makes things even more imbalanced than they already are. If you want to see changes in how the UFC treats fighters, it will take mega stars like Rousey and Conor and Brock to make it happen. So I say good for them. If you don't want to do twenty of the same interviews with every crappy MMA website, get it in your contract. If you want to ensure you get a title shot if you win a supposed no. 1 contender fight, get it in your contract. If you want a driver, a masseuse, a cook, whatever, get it in your contract. If the UFC doesn't want to give those things, they can counter with more money.
LOL you are changing my opinion about all this.
But Don't think I was stating this because it was Ronda. If anything, I am "protecting" (or complaining) about the fact Conor was booted from an event for one single media day he didn't want to show for.

I didn't think of the fighter's side of thing, and you are right. This is a good thing for the fighters.
But I maintain that as a promotion, they play too much the favorites game, and this takes the legitimacy of the sport of MMA.

I mean, Ronda is training while the champ has to stop for multiple days to give interviews.
That's an unfair advantage.

I think in a fight, if one opponent gets X, the other should get the same
note: I am not talking about money. I understand why Ronda is more valuable than Nunes.
I am speaking strictly of both fighters being able to prepare for fights under the same conditions.

Just thought it was a funny comment. You know, everything considered.

;>>>>
meh. I defend Cyborg more because she gets more haters.
But I defend all fighters who get hate unconditionally. Even Ronda, I defended her multiple times in this site (the hate she gets is just unreal, even if somewhat justified by her own attitude).
I believe MMA is one of the worse sports in respect of their fans.

Gone are the old days where you could like someone but you respected everyone else....

The lack of promotion is a more effective marketing tool than the promotion IMO.

At least there seem to be more threads on it.

I agree..it is adding to the tension of the return. Tension in a good way. It seems she is so focused and she is going to smash nunes. If she spoke out, that tension, that will make fans buy it, would be lost. She did late night media. she promoted the fight enough. This seems like an interesting and good move.

Back