rourke documentary

people still believe rourke's ruined visage is due to boxing and not partying

If I'd have had a passport I'd have fought Rourke in Germany back in '93. His people called mine about two weeks before the fight & offered me good money but I just couldn't get a passport in time. I was pissed too because even though I hadn't fought in almost two years & it was two weight classes above my own, I know I could have beaten him.

What's ironic is that three years earlier he was scheduled to fight Mark Breland in an exhibition march in Atlantic City but he never showed up. So, I got the call to fill in for him & fought Breland instead. It was one of the highlights of my career.

If I'd have had a passport I'd have fought Rourke in Germany back in '93. His people called mine about two weeks before the fight & offered me good money but I just couldn't get a passport in time. I was pissed too because even though I hadn't fought in almost two years & it was two weight classes above my own, I know I could have beaten him.

What's ironic is that three years earlier he was scheduled to fight Mark Breland in an exhibition march in Atlantic City but he never showed up. So, I got the call to fill in for him & fought Breland instead. It was one of the highlights of my career.
who are you on boxrec? im looking up Breland right now, lol.

I could see why a guy would want to fight Rourke. Big name, not very good, lol.

Interesting. Roach said that Mickey hit harder than Virgil Hill. He said Mickey had world class power and that it was his best attribute.
[timestamped]

Mickey's KO punch here looks highly suspect to me. He said himself that it “wasn't a good punch” early in the documentary. It was a slap and not a very hard one at that.
[timestamped]

Decent documentary though. Thanks for posting it, TS.

who are you on boxrec? im looking up Breland right now, lol.

I could see why a guy would want to fight Rourke. Big name, not very good, lol.

Oh, my bout with Breland isn't listed in Boxrec since it was just a four-round exhibition. Sorry. The whole fight card was called Starfight & mostly featured current or former world champions & top contenders boxing exhibitions. Some of them with celebrities, some of them with other pros. It took place on the afternoon before the Tyson-Stewart fight.

Oh, my bout with Breland isn't listed in Boxrec since it was just a four-round exhibition. Sorry. The whole fight card was called Starfight & mostly featured current or former world champions & top contenders boxing exhibitions. Some of them with celebrities, some of them with other pros. It took place on the afternoon before the Tyson-Stewart fight.
evasive!

Yes & deliberately so I'm afraid. I am on Boxrec ( though my record is incomplete on there as they're missing three fights ) but I don't choose to divulge my real name for privacy reasons. There was an incident a couple of years back where an individual found out my real name & proceeded to harass me on Facebook, attempted to hack into my wife's Facebook account & it was a big mess that I'd rather not go through again. I'm sure you understand.

But I assure you that I'm no one famous. I'm just another fighter who was fortunate enough to work with some big names as a sparring partner. Plus I worked some name fighter's corners as well. My own career was mediocre at best because of managerial issues & some injuries but it lasted a while & I'm proud of it.

Interesting. Roach said that Mickey hit harder than Virgil Hill. He said Mickey had world class power and that it was his best attribute.
[timestamped]

Mickey's KO punch here looks highly suspect to me. He said himself that it “wasn't a good punch” early in the documentary. It was a slap and not a very hard one at that.
[timestamped]

Doesn't mean anything since there's much more to boxing... I also hit hard as hell with both hands. And I still wouldn't beat a featherfisted elite boxer 3 weight classes below me.

Overall Rourke looked god-awful in the ring and I wouldn't be concerned about his power.

Last edited:
[timestamped]

[timestamped]

Roach will say anything when you pay him handsomely. I don't even listen to his interviews anymore. Either hes guaranteeing an unrealistic knockout or fluffing some celeb for cash. Hes a celebrity trainer and has made a ton of money catering to them. Every celebrity hes trained magically could of been pro. Yet every opponent or pro who leaves him gets shit on.

Yes & deliberately so I'm afraid. I am on Boxrec ( though my record is incomplete on there as they're missing three fights ) but I don't choose to divulge my real name for privacy reasons. There was an incident a couple of years back where an individual found out my real name & proceeded to harass me on Facebook, attempted to hack into my wife's Facebook account & it was a big mess that I'd rather not go through again. I'm sure you understand.

But I assure you that I'm no one famous. I'm just another fighter who was fortunate enough to work with some big names as a sparring partner. Plus I worked some name fighter's corners as well. My own career was mediocre at best because of managerial issues & some injuries but it lasted a while & I'm proud of it.
Well, we are proud and appreciate the likes of you around here.

So was Rourke legit? His fights looked fake and I had more the impression of classic Hollywood ego stroking than being an ok boxer. Am I wrong?

So was Rourke legit? His fights looked fake and I had more the impression of classic Hollywood ego stroking than being an ok boxer. Am I wrong?

Nope, you're not wrong at all. His entire pro career was a celebrity ego project. I mean, he was legitimately a decent amateur as a kid from what I've heard but his pro career was a farce. He had his own matchmaker that he paid to make his fights & shop them around to promoters. So, when a fighter is actually paying his opponent's purse, you're most often going to get some really shitty match-ups in which the opponent is there to lose & he knows it. So, more often than not they're looking for a soft spot on the canvas & a quick exit. And still, in eight pro fights, Rourke got held to a draw twice by fighters paid to come in & lose. So, that tells you everything you need to know about his skillset.

The only reason that they even considered me as an opponent was because the matchmaker was in a bind & they knew that I hadn't fought in years & I'd be fighting 20 pounds over my best weight.

Back