Round house critique please(link to video)

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by Joshua1991, May 25, 2014.

1. Joshua1991

Joshua1991 White Belt

Just need some advice or tips on what I should or shouldn't be doing with my kick. I'm trying to go for a Muay Thai round house also not taekwondo. I'm also self trained from youtube and google for now!(no trainers in my area) I feel like I'm not using my hips enough or I'm not turning them over correctly or something it just doesn't look the same as what I see on youtube to me! Any and all advice will help thank you all

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dlmJs0kTIuw

2. zapataxiv

zapataxiv Black Belt

Honestly that's looks amazing for being self taught, so good it has me doubting the completely self trained part

3. Joshua1991

Joshua1991 White Belt

4. Ricki

Ricki Yellow Belt

You're the Robert Johnson of Muay Thai.
    How'd you get so good on your own son?

5. Joshua1991

Joshua1991 White Belt

Idk if ur being sarcastic or what?

6. Harukaze

Harukaze Brown Belt

Chambering and snapping at the knee too much, not rolling your hip and pelvis over enough, whole body is not quite loose enough, in terms of a Thai-style kick.

But it looks like a dammed good Kyokushin-style round kick you got going there so no biggie. :D

7. Joshua1991

Joshua1991 White Belt

Thank you, the hips feels like my main problem mainly because I'm
    Not quite sure what turning the hips over means fully. If it just means rotate the right side across past the left or what? And when I keep my leg straight I for some reason can't get as much power on it maybe that's the hip thing tho?

8. Harukaze

Harukaze Brown Belt

More or less. Think of the kicking side of your pelvis rolling up and over an imaginary horizontal cylinder that goes from your junk to the target, that's what I mean by rolling your hips over fully.

You lose power when you keep your leg straight because you're relying more a chambered, snapping knee to generate power instead of using your center of mass translated through your hip plus a spring-off on the kicking leg to generate ground reaction force -- therefore take away the flexed knee and you have no power. It's the number one hardest thing to teach in Muay Thai kick mechanics and takes some one-on-one personal instruction to really get it. If you really want to attempt to learn this on your own, try this: wrap your kicking side knee with some Ace wrap or something similar that makes bending your knee feel a little uncomfortable, then try to kick the bag straight-legged -- that forces you to use your hips by taking the knee out of the equation. Once you generate power like this, then you can take the wrap of your knee and try it "dead legged". This about a good time to try to add a proper spring-off on your kicking foot to initiate the kick along with the hip movement. Once you get that, then you can start playing a bit with coordinating chambering your knee with hip movement. It's a bit of a progression you see, and the ideal finish would look a little something like this:

This is Kongsak Sitboonmee, one of the greatest kickers of the current generation of nak muay in Thailand. He's the nephew of Changpuek Kiatsongrit who may be a more familiar name to you as he is more well-known internationally for his stint in K-1 as well as his destruction of Rick Roufus back in the day.

9. Joshua1991

Joshua1991 White Belt

Thank you I'm gonna try that ace wrap an see if I can find some more hip power. Do u know what muscles move the hip in a way of what I'm wanting? is it the obliques that rotate everything over? If I had somewhere to train near by this would be a lot easier lol!

10. Ricki

Ricki Yellow Belt

Ha I actually was being serious but reading it over it looks very sarcastic.
    Just saying I had an idea of how to punch before I started training, but even after watching many Muay Thai fights I couldn't grasp how to kick well until I had formal training. That is a big accomplishment, you could learna lot it seems if you find a good gym on your area.

11. Harukaze

Harukaze Brown Belt

TFL and gastrocnemius start the movement (TFL begins flexion and abduction of the hip, gastroc generates the ground reaction force via foot push-off), gluteus medius abducts and stabilizes the hip throughout the movement, quadriceps and iliopsoas are the main drivers of the hip (they engage early and contribute the main sweeping motion, gluteus maximus contracts concentrically to stabilize the hip ipsilaterally and fires contralaterally to generate proper hip extension, lumbar paraspinals along with external and internal obliques as well as transversis abdominis stabilize the core during the motion, ipsilateral lats engage to generate counterbalancing force... and that's not even addressing the muscles used in the arm swing for counterweighting! Perhaps the main muscles you want to concentrate on firing are the kicking side's iliopsoas, TFL, glut med, and gastroc, and the supporting leg's gastroc (to pivot on your tip toes), quads (to keep your knee extended straight), and glut max (to keep the hips extended thereby preventing "shrimping" during your kick i.e. remaining in excessive hip flexion during the kick).

12. Joshua1991

Joshua1991 White Belt

DAMN! That was a very thorough answer for that question!! Thank you! Lol!!

13. JeepBrah

JeepBrah Blue Belt

wrong

14. Nostromo

Nostromo Guest

lol

15. Joshua1991

Joshua1991 White Belt

Please, continue?

16. whitesport

whitesport Brown Belt

Left hand up for guard and retract faster, looks pretty legit though.

17. Harukaze

Harukaze Brown Belt

LOL prove it.

18. Talibankocken

Talibankocken Orange Belt

You lean back too much when you kick. I assume it's to get more height, but it takes away balance and power. Get up on your toes instead to gain height, and keep your back more straight.

As you can see in the video, your balance is behind your supporting foot after the kick lands, which makes it impossible to follow the kick up until you've compensated for the loss of balance.

19. Kanka

Kanka Black Belt

Ok yeah you have a powerful kick. Can you post a video without slow motion so that i can see how it actually looks like?

You already have the power, now work on not losing balance, keep good posture and recover faster. Try to not lean back to much, and keep your standing leg straight, and stand on the ball of your foot. By putting down the heel you will have a slower recovery time. Focus on that, and less on power for now. Remember, the opponent will hit back unlike the thing you have on your yard.

You can also work on kicking without the forward step with the front leg. The step is sure a good tool to control distance and create power but you should also be able to kick without stepping forward, as it's faster and the opponent won't predict the kick. Instead of stepping forward you can push of with your back leg.

It also seems to me like you look away for a little while, remember to always keep your eyes on the opponent. Even when the hip is turned over.

Here's an example of what i mean with standing on the ball of your foot with a straight leg, still looking at the opponent.[​IMG]

Last edited: May 30, 2014
  20. Joshua1991

Joshua1991 White Belt

If I stand straight up, and keep my whole right leg straight and stiff an swing it back and forth from front to back moving the quad an calf at the same time, is that the hip?and is that the motion I want to be trying to get except horizontally?