round 2

TonyinBucks

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hi all,
i think the constant arguing can be slowed down over the decision if you take a close look at round 2 of the fight and decide one way or the other who won it. round 1 and 3 clearly were gus and 4 and 5 bones. I know jones put his hands in the air after the second but i felt gus had that round as well. if you can decipher the outcome of round 2 then i think you can accurately call the fight. i am no bones or gus nuthugger and thought bones would win easily (so shows how much i know lol) but think gus is very unlucky and accepted it in good grace so credit to him. bones proved what a champion he is by coming back eating bombs and finishing strong (which i believe saved the decision for him rightly or wrongly who knows)
Anyway great fight and look forward to the next installment but think bones will face glover before the re match.

Hi all,
i think the constant arguing can be slowed down over the decision if you take a close look at round 2 of the fight and decide one way or the other who won it. round 1 and 3 clearly were gus and 4 and 5 bones. I know jones put his hands in the air after the second but i felt gus had that round as well. if you can decipher the outcome of round 2 then i think you can accurately call the fight. i am no bones or gus nuthugger and thought bones would win easily (so shows how much i know lol) but think gus is very unlucky and accepted it in good grace so credit to him. bones proved what a champion he is by coming back eating bombs and finishing strong (which i believe saved the decision for him rightly or wrongly who knows)
Anyway great fight and look forward to the next installment but think bones will face glover before the re match.

I just heard Dana say Jones got busted up in the 1st and 2nd round.

When I was watching the fight, I thought, well that 4th round made the fight for Jones. That Gus had to knock Jones down or wobble Jones putting him on the defense.

However, the more I read peoples responses, I am starting to think maybe Gus won? But I believe you have to take the belt away. So I am not sure really....

here was my intake..

Gus tired Jones out in the first round. He was smart in moving constantly and striking at angles but really it appeared to me that Jones was in control at the center and moving forward. Jones was the tree. But, what surprised me, in the second round was that Jones looked tired? Dana says Jones got busted up? I guess he did...I really didn't think that at the time. I thought Gus was doing a good job in keeping jones away that first round and just surviving Jones take down and keeping his strikes busy. 2nd round, I thought, ok Gus is not going to keep this pace but Jones looking equally tired. So I thought this fight is going to be interesting now. I started to think Jones knows he is in for a war now. 2nd round and 3rd round I think I gave to Gus for sure. But in the 4th round, after the elbow by jones, I thought Jones has the fight unless Gus wobbles or KO's Jones. Don't know why I thought this? perhaps cause he is the champ and I gave Jones more points just by being so dominant in the past fights. So I felt Gus had to take it from him after that 4th. If it were not for the 4th I would have given an edge to Gus in the decision.

So I actually thought the judges made the right call.....but doubting myself with what everyone else is saying?

What changed? I actually see Gus getting better from here on out. I see Gus developing stronger and taking the rematch unless in the next fight its the rematch which will just be another close war. I think this because Gus was able to keep jones from taking him down. Plus, Gus got right back up after the take down?!?! I think the rematch will be harder for Jones and not Gus...could be wrong but thats how I see it.

Reviewing the tapes....I think Gus will see that he should have went for it in his boxing more so. However, he was worried about Jones spinning elbow and knee combo. But will see how Gus had many openings and perhaps been able to put Jones on the defense more. After the 2nd round, it seemed like Gus should have started becoming the one in control of the octagon but was still fighting like in the first round. I thought Gus already established the fight was going to be standing which is his bread and butter but the whole fight went like that. I was surprised but maybe it was jones had better technical klcks. Also, I think Gus knows he can endure Jones punching power.

Jones IMO, has always lacked that mid range striking. That was the real problem in this fight against Gus. Gus exploited this. Jones will need to figure out how to take Gus down for a ground and pound in the early rounds. Will need to see how his technical striking needs more power or finishing elements. I think Jones can do more spinning kicks in the next fight. Jones needs to learn counter strikes to change the game in the next fight....

i think these are all possibilities for Jones and Gus in their fight and after reviewing the tapes. Usually, what I notice is fighters develop a comfort zone in their strategy. This is good because now they can stay in one area during the fight however, because they didn't finish or win by the judges they need to know when to step out of that comfort zone to change things up.....however, this is where UFC has really develop...or where MMA has developed. In the early years, like Matt Hughes, it would be the same everything. Nowadays, it seems fighters can come back and do 180 in their strategy...something totally unexpected. Like Shogun vs Machida II. I think Gus is so young that he should decide if he wants a rematch right....he is motivated by the belt and can still develop more as a fighter so would hate to see a 2nd loss to a dominant champ so early on because that will cause Gus to lose motivation in the fight game. UFC usually likes to can people once they lose twice to a champ.

Last edited:
I just heard Dana say Jones got busted up in the 1st and 2nd round.

When I was watching the fight, I thought, well that 4th round made the fight for Jones. That Gus had to knock Jones down or wobble Jones putting him on the defense.

However, the more I read peoples responses, I am starting to think maybe Gus won? But I believe you have to take the belt away. So I am not sure really....

here was my intake..

Gus tired Jones out in the first round. He was smart in moving constantly and striking at angles but really it appeared to me that Jones was in control at the center and moving forward. Jones was the tree. But, what surprised me, in the second round was that Jones looked tired? Dana says Jones got busted up? I guess he did...I really didn't think that at the time. I thought Gus was doing a good job in keeping jones away that first round and just surviving Jones take down and keeping his strikes busy. 2nd round, I thought, ok Gus is not going to keep this pace but Jones looking equally tired. So I thought this fight is going to be interesting now. I started to think Jones knows he is in for a war now. 2nd round and 3rd round I think I gave to Gus for sure. But in the 4th round, after the elbow by jones, I thought Jones has the fight unless Gus wobbles or KO's Jones. Don't know why I thought this? perhaps cause he is the champ and I gave Jones more points just by being so dominant in the past fights. So I felt Gus had to take it from him after that 4th. If it were not for the 4th I would have given an edge to Gus in the decision.

So I actually thought the judges made the right call.....but doubting myself with what everyone else is saying?

What changed? I actually see Gus getting better from here on out. I see Gus developing stronger and taking the rematch unless in the next fight. I think this because Gus was able to keep jones from taking him down. Plus, Gus got right back up after the take down?!?! I think the rematch will be harder for Jones and not Gus...could be wrong but don't see it.

Fair enough mate. i can see how both men could be justified the winner i personally saw gus as the victor but i do not think its a conspiracy that the champ got the w either. Its all subjective my take was 2 rounds each with the 2nd being the decider.

Hi all,
Round 2 was a draw in my opinion, as the whole fight.

Back