Roughest day at jj

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Dead Roman, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Dead Roman

Dead Roman Orange Belt

went to class today and wasnt particularly feeling good. I was excited to go to class as I have been on vacation so its been about a week since ive been to class. I got tooled by a couple of the bigger guys(265ers and im 200) who I usually tap more often than not. Got beat by a guy who hasnt been to class in over a year twice in a row. This is all before class got started. I tried to suck it up and pull it together mentally but i was so frustrated and exhausted that instead of doing the rest of the class I walked to the fountains to get a drink and just didnt come back. I thought I could pull myself out of the black cloud but I wasnt doing a very good job and I didnt wanna bring everyone else down. Several times during and before class I had friends from class ask me if I was ok. On top of all this I hurt my wrist a few weeks back and its not recovering well. My grip strength is suffering and im having to compensate with my right hand. I havent been stretching over my vacation which has cured some hip pain I have been having and the hip pain is back now.

Just wanted to vent a bad day.

2. lechien

lechien Gold Belt

no big deal. it just another training.

Maybe you need to change your focus on what makes you happy.

If you rely on your sucess against your training partners to be happy in BJJ, you are bond to feel down when you lose.

3. Dead Roman

Dead Roman Orange Belt

I dont mind losing, I lose alot to the big guys and upper belts. It just felt like my skills had fallen off so much that I couldnt defend and my jiu jitsu was just poor overall. thats why I felt bad.

4. stile0

stile0 Purple Belt

i feel like this is about to happen to me. fat headache and judo class in less than an hour. oh well. gotta have the bad days to have good ones right? hope things get better for you man.

5. MMAR15

MMAR15 Orange Belt

I think a "bad day" can be just as valuable as a "good day".

It brings you back to reality and should make you determined to get better. I've rolled with a lot of blues and whites lately and was doing great. Today I rolled with a really good brown and got schooled! It was humbling and I needed that.

Not sure how he does it but he's one of those guy who literally feels at least 50lbs heavier than he is. Now I realize that my shrimping sucks and I need to learn some better escape technique.

Bad day turned positive

6. Fedorzilla

Fedorzilla Brown Belt

Everybody has those days, although I've never just had a class where I just left. Didn't you have your stuff there? Don't sweat it.

I recently (few months ago) had a shitty day at work and was just so frustrated. All I could think of was "I just want to go to the gym and de-stress." I get to the gym, open my bag and my chocolate protein shake spilled all over my gi. I close my bag and walk out... infuriated.

take the good with the bad

7. Dead Roman

Dead Roman Orange Belt

I grabbed my bag and stuff before I bounced, but I didnt really say goodbye to anyone(alot of us a fairly good friends). Everyone was noticing my sour mood and I wasnt coming out of it. I just felt like I was being so negative that I needed to leave.

8. fiftysvn

fiftysvn Purple Belt

sounds like a bad attitude . . .

9. blfdgrappler

blfdgrappler Orange Belt

Rolling is like life. Some days are good; some days are bad. I had a really bad day recently (and my neck/shoulder was kinda hurt), so I just nicely told everyone I wasn't feeling well, watched the remainder of class without rolling anymore, and then quietly packed my stuff and left. I went home and drowned my sorrows with a beer and then a long nap. Then I came here and read some good posts, and my mood brightened considerably. I vowed that next class would be better, and it was.

10. 879lexus

879lexus Blue Belt

Dude, i just came back from vacation a week ago and I had to sit out 3/4 of the class cause I was gonna vomit.. I felt like crap, but the very next day, I was back into it. Your body needs to adjust. I was on the beach, drinking pina's, eating calamari every freakin day on vacation.. The only excercise I got was walking up and down the stairs to go eat hot dogs and burgers on the beach...

No matter how bad you feel after vacation, go back the very next day. Your body needs that shock to get back to training...

11. Dirty Highland

Dirty Highland Orange Belt

This was my exact feeling after training tonight. I think we all have "off" nights.

12. Gerbiljiujitsu

Gerbiljiujitsu Purple Belt

happens to everybody man, dont sweat it.
    Some people think you should stick it out through the bad days too, I say it depends on weather or not you think you're going to get injured by staying. If I think I'm going to hurt myself I call it a day too.

Just make sure to go back tomorrow :D

13. elbigsam

elbigsam Blue Belt

I feel ya man, I've just felt wore out lately, no gas. Just keep grinding away.

14. Ravens13

Ravens13 White Belt

We all have bad days. Mine usually happen when I have worked too much and haven't been sleeping well. I just suck it up and get through it...

15. samb867

samb867 Yellow Belt

I always feel like the first session after a holiday always feels like either one of the best or one of the worst sessions. Either you feel reenergised and happy to be back in it or you're not in the right headspace and all your niggling injuries you'd forgotten about gang up on you.

But that's life, and one bad day doesn't define your training or your work ethic. Just come in hungry to train hard and well next time.

16. Hellboy31

Hellboy31 Brown Belt

Don't sweat it bro, great days would have absolutely no meaning without struggle. Gotta have the ying with the yang :)

Hillary's got a great quote in her sig, check it out when you get a chance.

17. Amiro

Amiro Orange Belt

theres a million reasons

if you got issues on your mind that are hard to leave outside = no focus
    hand/wrist injuries = basically no grip lol
    throat / neck injuries = instant tap to chokes
    not enough sleep / done weights = ultra weak

your roughest day is like most of my days. im usually injured in some way or another. which makes me even worse.
    right now its my elbow that i landed on instead of breakfalling properly. if you pull on my sleeve, the gi pulls on my elbow and it hurts so bad.

i still try to train through as much as i can though. i dont mind losing at all and im not at the level where 'winning' would even mean anything anyway. i always just say 'im injured here here and here but do your thing normally but i might tap early' so they know to expect a tap early or whatever

it doesnt bother me. so maybe its just ur ego.

18. MMA junkie

MMA junkie Purple Belt

It happens to the best of them. I use it as motivation, man I have to train harder. Man I have to start watching DVDs and see remind myself what little details I am missing. Or I go hit some weights.

I also always tell myself, some days you are the hammer, some days you are the nail. Today, you were the nail.

All good, keep at it, you'll get your mojo back.

19. Amiro

Amiro Orange Belt

keep training and one day you will be

[​IMG]

20. BigStaff

BigStaff Purple Belt

THis