Rothwell fighting a guy coming off of a loss...

A loss to JDS would put him about where Overeem and Stipe are in my book.
Really? I'd say that a loss to JDS would make his winning streak look a bit flukey and more people would question the "level" of the fighters he beat. I think that if he doesn't beat JDS he'll never get a title shot based on the way that UFC picks who gets title shots (PPV sales and hype for the most part).

I wouldn't say I disagree with you, Stipe looked very good in that JDS fight but we both know how things work. It's very rare for someone to be rewarded for looking good in a loss. A win against a lesser opponent matters more than a loss against a better opponent. It's up to the individual whether they agree with that or not.
I think it has to be treated case by case. Everyone was blown away by how good Stipe looked after that fight. I picked him to win and scored him losing and still thought his stock rose. Dana said his stock rose at the post fight presser, too.

Everyone was so enamored with Ben's submission of Barnett, an admirable achievement. But the fight itself was bad, they both looked bad and Barnett is 40.

I would say bens win over Overeem is huge, it was and still is a big win, but I put it at about the same level as the Arlovski win. Both legends of the division, both glass cannons and both even train at the same gym. Rothwell has been around for a long time and is still having mediocre outings, even in victory. Stipe is relatively new blood in this division and his career has been on an upward trajectory from the very beginning. The only hiccup was, in my opinion, a very necessary loss to Struve. Every other fight he's been in he's looked great, gotten better and, save for the Junior fight, he's dominated.

Really? I'd say that a loss to JDS would make his winning streak look a bit flukey and more people would question the "level" of the fighters he beat. I think that if he doesn't beat JDS he'll never get a title shot based on the way that UFC picks who gets title shots (PPV sales and hype for the most part).

Really.

Really? I'd say that a loss to JDS would make his winning streak look a bit flukey and more people would question the "level" of the fighters he beat.

Mitrione said Rothwell's submission was a fluke and then he beat Barnett the exact same way. No reasonable person could say Rothwell's win streak is a fluke at this point. even with a future loss to JDS.

Back