Rotator cuff injury and training

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Voyevoda, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Voyevoda

Voyevoda White Belt

I injured my rotator cuff last night when someone in my guard fell on top of me in exactly the wrong way. Lifting my arm up too much and holding up my laptop is enough to cause pain and discomfort. Relaxation and recovery are the all the doctor recommended but there's an upcoming tournament and time not spent learning is time wasted.

How do you keep training? Laying down on my shoulder doesn't cause any problems so no hand drills (triangle, armbar, omaplata) and probably shrimping are on my list of to do... but I've heard about people like Draculino who injure their arms and roll using only the other one. Any video examples of this, or any tips and advice on how to do that?

2. ijustwannasurf

ijustwannasurf Brown Belt

Half Turkish get-ups with kettlebells- thats how I rehabbed my shoulder.

3. Voyevoda

Voyevoda White Belt

Thanks, but I was looking for BJJ drills or techniques I can do with (or modify for) only one hand. It'll be a few days before I start moving my shoulder around.

4. pliftkl

pliftkl Green Belt

Not sure I agree with that. Even if you didn't roll, you could spend the next few weeks really focusing on conditioning work that you wouldn't otherwise do because you'd normally be focused on technique.

5. DevinTheDewd

DevinTheDewd Orange Belt

You need to be moving your shoulder around some. It sounds like you possibly dislocated or subluxed it if youre having that much pain. Theraband exercises to rehab it will be important. If youre looking to progress your jiu jitsu more... train with one arm. If it is really bad and training with one arm still bothers it, then just watch some videos or something.

6. Voyevoda

Voyevoda White Belt

I am moving it around a bit to keep it from getting stiff and to see how I'm doing. It's not a lot of pain it's just more of my body saying "Don't do that" than anything else. I'm gonna have to train with just one arm but was hoping to get some video examples of it being done to learn some of the modifications for things.