Ross Pearson: "I'd like to see the fights go five, three-minute rounds"

Nope...

5 minute rounds are perfect, imo.

giphy.gif
What about 4 minutes 55 seconds? Just a little fresher.

One round, no time limit.

If anything I would prefer regular fights be 5 five minute rounds and champion ship fights be 7 five minute rounds. That would fall in line more with boxing matches time frame, and you dont have to have 12 fights on a card, you could have a good card with about 8 fights total including prelims. More fights dont always make a great card.

I could understand why a striker would want that. Three minute rounds would really limit ground fighters' opportunities while also providing the striker with five opportunity it is to start out on his feet

One 12-minute round with no judges is how I think it should be. No judges needed. Finish the fight or take the draw.

This is the problem. I love a great striking battle as much as anyone but it's MMA and grappling is a major part of it and 3 mins is shit to work with.

it isn't even for for strikers. In pure striking 3 minutes is enough time but when someone pushes you against the cage for 1 minute and you are scared to cmmit because of a TD the other minute then 3 minutes isn't enough to do work.
It favours wall n stall fighters the most

Not to mention he's got it all wrong. Give someone who can't read Chinese a letter written in Chinese and he's still not going to be able to read it no matter how many ways you try to break the structure up. If the judges don't know what they're looking at it isn't going to matter if they have 3 5 minute rounds, 5 3 minute rounds, or 15 1 minute rounds.

It could make create more LNP actually. All you have to do is take someone down and lay on the for 2:00-2:30 instead of 4 plus minutes. It would be on the ref to really stop LNP with 3 minute rounds. Why waste energy or sacrifice position going for a sub when you just have to take top position for 2 minutes.

i always enjoyed Pearson's fights, but i'd suggest him to go fight in a ring. In the cage 5 minuts rounds is a must.

Says the striker. 3 min isn't enough time to work on the ground. I don't blame him though just like I don't blame Gsp for wanting no rounds at all old school.

Longer rounds are better for judging.

Shorter rounds are better for action.

Depends on the fight, but I think the format they have right now is the best way to judge a fight so I would keep it the same.

Better idea, make it a single 15 minute round, but both fighters can call a 1 minute timeout.

Someone with really great cardio could burn their timeout early to put pressure on the less cardio equipped opponent.. or you use your timeout when you are in trouble etc...

that would be fun

I like the idea of having faster paced fights, but it's not practical. A grappler can struggle to get a TD for a bit and when he does get it he wouldn't have much time to advance. Even though fighters are more complete overall today it doesn't mean they're copies of each other. Every division in the UFC has some strikers and grapplers who are elite.

One 12-minute round with no judges is how I think it should be. No judges needed. Finish the fight or take the draw.

I like this better than Pearson's idea.

five, three minute rounds benefit Ross's style.

They need to just dump the 10pt round by round scoring and judge the fights as a whole. That will help eliminate the points fighting that's slowly taking over the sport.

Back