Ross Pearson: "I'd like to see the fights go five, three-minute rounds"

Nope...

5 minute rounds are perfect, imo.

giphy.gif

Cry me a river, anything that makes this sport more entertaining is a good thing. I've been saying the same thing for a long time, Ross is smarter than he looks.
I don't think the romance of mma should be compromised just to make it more entertaining. It's already made many moves to be a more financially viable sport and business. But the heart of mma is that we get to see who is the best, no matter what background. Having rounds and time limits at all takes away from this 'purity.' To shorten the rounds is just plastic ratings bullshit in my eyes. And for what? Some more exciting moments. We get enough exciting moments from this beautiful sport.

I'd like anything that changes the idea of takedowns being over-valued.

Guys getting beat in standup handedly shooting with a minute to go, "stealing" rounds with lazy TDs that go nowhere shouldn't be a thing at all.
The judging system already accounts for this. "Stealing" rounds with a last minute takedown shouldn't be a thing. If the majority of the round was spent standing, then the winner of the round is decided upon who was the more effective striker.

This is a bad idea, grapplers would have less time to get the fight to the ground and work for a finish. We have also seen fighters be tentative for around a minute or 1.5 minutes before, that would now be 1/3rd or 1/2 the round with a 3 minute round.

Of course he'd like that as it would favor his style (the striker), less time for the grappler to work and 2 more times the fight starts standing

No rounds at all is the way to go, not more rounds.

It should be 4 rounds with a 5th sudden victory round in case of a tie. There is no reason main event should be 5 rounds. Every fight should be the same, same rules. Same thing goes for octagone size, use just one size for all fights.

I don't like the idea of five three minute rounds, but I respect the fact that he acknowledges that there's a judging problem and he's offering solutions rather than just complaining.

I don't think it's an absurd idea, just not my preferred solution.

@Filthymaggot, a 3 minute round is too short. 5 of them would still be a 15 minute fight, but 3 minutes is not enough time for fighters to work inside a round. I don't think shortening the round would lead to increased stand ups either. Unless, along with shortening the round, there are new instructions for refs to be snappier with stand ups.

The judging system already accounts for this. "Stealing" rounds with a last minute takedown shouldn't be a thing. If the majority of the round was spent standing, then the winner of the round is decided upon who was the more effective striker.

We're still barely seeing the tide turn on that front. Holloway/Lamas finale isn't a realistic finish to every round, but we're seeing way more guys shooting late than pointing to the ground saying "let's do this". They're doing it because they know it's over-valued.

It's gotten better but I still wanna see the mentality itself eradicated.

@Filthymaggot, a 3 minute round is too short. 5 of them would still be a 15 minute fight, but 3 minutes is not enough time for fighters to work inside a round. I don't think shortening the round would lead to increased stand ups either. Unless, along with shortening the round, there are new instructions for refs to be snappier with stand ups.

To your point, I actually think we'd get the opposite. The refs, knowing grapplers inherently have less time to work, wouldn't be as quick to stand 'em up.

Good reason to stick with three 5's.

Of course he'd like that as it would favor his style (the striker), less time for the grappler to work and 2 more times the fight starts standing

No rounds at all is the way to go, not more rounds.
More times for a striker to get a reset, but also less time a grappler needs to hold a striker down to win a round. It goes both ways. I'd rather see longer rounds than shorter rounds.

it would definitely hurt grapplers more than strikers though.

Wow, as if the UFC needs to be any more biased against the ground game. What a fucking joke of an idea this is.

Hm what a surprise, Brit who can't wrestle wants boxing rules...

Submissions don't happen very often anymore besides when someone is rocked from strikes

Is someone can defend on the ground for 2:00-2:30, they would probably also defend for 4:00-4:30

are you sure?

We're not just talking about finishes though. At least, I'm not. And I don't necessarily agree with your post anyway. I'd have to see some data on your claims.

But shorter rounds would favour strikers, which is unfair to change now, just for the sake of excitement. There are other sports to follow for those kind of environments.

Which brings me back to the purity of mma. (As pure as it gets anyway.) This is about who is the best fighter. Excitement is just a natural product of finding out. We don't need to restrict the game anymore than we have already.

Make it no rounds, no time limit, fuck the sports enthusiasts and casual fans haha

I would like to see 15 rounds of 30 seconds.

And see If fighters still gas :p

3 minute rounds, what a joke. For one thing, shortening the rounds wouldn't be fair on grapplers.

This is the problem. I love a great striking battle as much as anyone but it's MMA and grappling is a major part of it and 3 mins is shit to work with.

Back