Ross Enamait - Sledgehammer Training - Part II

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Ziltoid, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Ziltoid In search for the Ultimate cup of Coffee

I searched and didnt see this up. I thought I might share this with you dudes. Its just a short video but he uses the tire vertically.

http://www.rosstraining.com/articles/sledge2.html

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RnKCsTxSlIs&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RnKCsTxSlIs&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

2. ronin0352 Lift, Eat, Sleep, Repeat

That's actually how I do them. I've got a couple old 285/75/16R tires in the back of my truck, along with a roll of parachute cord. Just tie it to a post or some kind of vertical support.

3. Centaur Black Belt

There's a huge ass tractor tire half barried vertically nearby my house. I reckon it stands about 6' or so.

Anyone ever do horizontal Sledge swings? I figure it would be similar to the Full Contact Twist as far as muscles worked. I wonder if they'll let me try it out....

4. finnegan Mountains and Fleas

Be careful doing horizontal swings. Its kind of rough on the shoulders, so use a lighter hammer at first.

5. Centaur Black Belt

You've tried 'em Fin?

Thanks for the tip.

6. MikeMartial Black Belt

That's one of the stations in the circuit for our department's firefighter recruit physical; it involves moving a large tractor tire filled with sandbags a certain distance in a certain amount of time. The tire sits roughly waist height, so you have to strike it horizontally with the sledge.

7. hagler7 White Belt

as ross has said before now there are no sledgehamer swings in the olympics, so you dont have to worry to much about the finer techniques but just make sure you do both sides and make sure you work.

8. Urban Savage Mystic

Horizontal swings always bugged my elbows...