Rumored Rose Namajunas vs Weili Zhang 2 in the works

KazDibiase

"My style is kneeing people in the face."
@Silver
Reaction score

UFC ‘leaning towards’ Rose Namajunas vs Zhang Weili rematch, champ back in training camp
  • Strawweight title rematch is reportedly in the works for the fourth quarter of 2021
  • American Namajunas begins preparations for first defence after beating China’s Zhang in July
UFC strawweight champion Rose Namajunas is set to grant Zhang Weili’s desire for an immediate rematch, with the bout reportedly in the works.

The promotion has not confirmed the fight, but according to MMA journalist Ariel Helwani it is being targeted for the fourth quarter of 2021.

Former ESPN reporter Helwani, now of MMA Fighting and BT Sport, wrote in a Substack post that the UFC is “leaning towards” the rematch, but that it is “very far from done”.

“Thug Rose” is certainly preparing to make the first title defence of her second reign as champ – she began her training camp on Wednesday, according to an Instagram post from her management, Sucker Punch Entertainment.

The post showed a video of the 29-year-old Lithuanian-American (10-4) hitting pads with head trainer Trevor Wittman, accompanied by the text, “So this is day 1 of camp”.

Namajunas claimed the strawweight belt from China’s Zhang (21-2) via a stunning first-round head kick at UFC 261 in Jacksonville, Florida – the first event back in front of a full crowd in the US since the start of the pandemic.

The 32-year-old Zhang protested the referee’s stoppage, and called for an immediate rematch after the April 24 loss at the VyStar Veterans Memorial Arena.

Third-ranked Carla Esparza (18-6) had seemingly thrown her name into the hat for the next shot against Namajunas with a dominant second-round TKO of Zhang’s compatriot, Yan Xiaonan. (13-2) in May.

Mexican-American Esparza also beat Namajunas via third-round rear-naked choke on The Ultimate Fighter season 20 finale in December 2014 to become the inaugural strawweight champion.

https://amp.scmp.com/sport/martial-...2/ufc-leaning-towards-rose-namajunas-vs-zhang

Calling it now she will decisively beat Zhang in the rematch by a uncontroversial unanimous decision, only to lose too a fighter of much lower caliber than her in her second title defence.

Calling it now she will decisively beat Zhang in the rematch by a uncontroversial unanimous decision, only to lose too a fighter of much lower caliber than her in her second title defence.

Hmm who you think?

I mean, Ill enjoy that. I'd also enjoy a PB&J if someone gave it to me. I just don't think the situation calls for it, so i wanted something else

giphy.gif

fucking pointless rematches.

Ugh. Instant rematches should only be reserved for rare occasions, like Anderson vs. Weidman after Anderson's crazy run.
Draws, no contests, and only if a champ has been so dominant that no top/prospective contender hasn't already lost to them.

Otherwise, you should have at least a win in your last fight to fight for the title. Always

China market. Esparza deserves it, but she's not a draw. Probably Rose again and Carla maybe takes another fight for activity.

darryl-boo.gif

Weili doesn’t deserve an instant rematch. Narrowly defended once and then got starched. Instant rematches are rarely necessary. Should have been Esparza, she earned it. Knew this was coming though, UFC wants that Chinese market.

Back