Rory Macdonald's Schnoz

SourGrapes

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I was listening to MMA hour and Rory mentioned that his broken nose was his first experience with a broken bone, implying that his nose had never been broken before. When you look at guys like Robbie Lawler or Anderson Silva, their noses seem to consist of pure cartilage, as if the bone had been pulverized to a point where it is no longer breakable.

My question: Is there an advantage to having a nose like Lawler and Silva, and if so, why doesnt Rory Mac do some work/conditioning on that beak to improve his world title chances just like Nick Diaz had his eyebrows reduced in order to avoid cuts on his eyes.

Summary For those with Mayweather-level reading: Did Rory's beak cost him the belt? AND, how does someone fight/train so often and at such a high level without taking a hard shot to the nose? :icon_twis The Red King will rise again:icon_twis

Are there any fighters with big noses? I can't think of any.

Tareq Saffedeine has a beak on him, same with Tj Killashaw, Anthony Perosh

Those are a couple that come to mind, but Rory seems to have had that virgin Schnoz...until Robbie got to put his hands on him.

It seems to me like having a little pug nose would be advantageous, but then again I am not a fighter so how would I know

304_miesha_tate_0431.0_standard_352.0.jpg

meishas nose looks like squid wards from sponge bob

Boxing trainers sometimes talk about the flat nose, in addition to a certain type of jaw, that they can see (without seeing the athlete in training) which tells them if the athlete is possibly capable of competing at the elite level.

Mike Tyson was thought to have a good nose and good jaw to take punches to the face/skull.
Dan Henderson has the jaw for sure. Your average guy could punch Hendo in the chin all day and he'd probably just laugh.

It's a strange concept and I don't know how much truth there is to it. A lot of guys from east Asia (Korea and China especially) would have the flat nose and square jaw, but they may (or may not) be able to take punches without getting KO'd.

I think there's some trade off. A big nose allows you to breathe easier while biting down on your mouthpiece. Smaller nose takes a shot better but can restrict breathing.

I used to have huge differences in my cardio between running, doing cardio circuits etc. where my mouth could be open and sparring or rolling where I had a mouthpiece in.

Europeans, especially northern ones don't have faces for getting punched. You need a flatter nose and less angular face. Having an angular bone structure means you are more prone to getting cut.
Rory has a pointy nose which is prime for getting smashed and bleeding. Some nationalities have different smoother faces with flatter noses. This equated to less cuts and bleeding. This probably does help when it comes to judging.

Back