Rory Macdonald vs Hector Lombard

they already stole the championship match from rory

They didn't steal anything from Rory so quit crying. He had his chance when he got whipped by Lawler. Beating Saffiedine is no better than Lombard beating Burkman. The other two guys Rory beat got beat by Shields and he got cut. For Lombard they had to go outside the organization to get an opponent while Rory was getting outgrappled in a BJJ tournament.

Rory is more technical than lombard, by far. Lombard will talk in post fight presser about how he "ran away" like lombard always complains

rory will make hector look bad.

Rory is more technical than lombard, by far. Lombard will talk in post fight presser about how he "ran away" like lombard always complains

Sounds to me like you already have Rory's chickenshit gameplan mapped out. Basically fight like Condit did vs Diaz (to a chorus of boos) and win over the judges.

If Rory gets into exchanges like he did with Lawler, he'll be in trouble. Lombard has technique also, it's called JUDO and he will toss Rory more than once. Rory's number 3 and Lombard's number 4 or 5 so they should fight to see who gets the winner of Robbie/Johny III.

The UFC will feed Rory and Lombard unranked opponents while they wait for another Handricks/Lawler fight no one wants to see. The UFC WW division will be stuck at a standstill until 2016, thanks Dana.

As long as there is a hope of GSP coming back Rory will not get a contender fight.

Make it happen, Dana! I'll still take Lombard even after last night. Go ahead and act like Burkman is some slouch but he's never been ko'd and he fought like an injured possum from the first exchange on. I could see Rory using his length and technique to pick Lombard apart. He's that good and he was tough enough to hang in there with robbie for three rounds, I don't see Hector finishing him either. But I think Hector has the technique and strength to basically do what Maia did until he gassed out, and Hector is much more of a threat to land that one punch that swings things his way, burkman took some hard combos last night. The question might be does Hector have the gas tank maia didn't and, if he doesn't, can he hurt Rory enough to deplete his tank as well. I think he can.

Last edited:
Lombard is not Woodley or Ellenberger. He won't stay in front of Rory waiting to get jabbed, he's going to pressure him.

Interesting fight, I don't know how to pick.

Lombard did not beat Burkman, who was a relative unknown brought in from WSOF, dominantly enough for my liking. If he wanted prove belongs in the same category of WW title contenders as Lawler, Hendricks and Rory, he needed to really make a statement last night. He didn't. Either he could not or chose not to and it looks pretty damn bad either way.

Lombard is not Woodley or Ellenberger. He won't stay in front of Rory waiting to get jabbed, he's going to pressure him.

Interesting fight, I don't know how to pick.

True, but the Maia fight showed he can figure out how to fight well under that kind of pressure as well. And he can exploit the fact that Lombard's striking sort of does seem to be predominantly power shots and is not nearly as refined as is. After last night I became pretty sure Rory could ruin Lombard's day simply with an effective use of that Tristar jab of his.

After the Shields fight, I would have picked Lombard.

Now, I'm thinking Rory.

Hector has the ability, but is too measured lately IMO.

He wouldn't pressure Rory enough and get him out of his groove.

MacDonald has a great reach advantage and technical striking.

Would be a great fight though, if Hector got his hands on him early it would be interesting.

Back