Ronin Imperial Double-Weave Gi - First Impressions, Fit & Pics

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Discussion' started by TheCleanFighter, Jan 18, 2015.

1. TheCleanFighter

TheCleanFighter White Belt

The Imperial Double-Weave
    by Ronin Brand

I recently had the pleasure to roll with a Judo Black Belt while while visiting family in Texas over the holidays. I was really impressed by his Gi and I had recently become aware of the Ronin Double-Weave Gi. The Imperial boasts an incredible weight and heft. At nearly 900 GSM, it is the heaviest BJJ Gi produced by Japan. I am fresh off the injured list and put a few pounds on while surfing my couch the last couple months. And I like hot yoga, and I'm not afraid to sweat. So when my sisters asked me what I wanted for my Birthday I told them I had my eye on this really nice Gi and they gladly contributed to my being able to obtain it. To date, this is the most expensive Gi I own and my Mom and 3 of my sisters made it possible so thanks everyone!

Vendor: Fighter's Market
    Grade: B+/A-
    Experience: Purchased on Sunday evening. Found a 10% Discount Code: 2015 , so that helped a considerable amount and took $26 off. Gi shipped for free by 2-day air. I received an email that the gi shipped Monday afternoon. Tuesday afternoon it didn't track. I emailed fighters market and did not receive a response. Gi finally showed up in tracking and showed a delivery date of Wednesday. End of the day came and nothing. Gi arrived on Thursday -one day late. Not a big deal but I was like a kid on Christmas waiting for it to show up on Wed. It was more than likely a USPS issue and not the vendor so I can't really complain. It still got here. Vendor was excellent tho when contacted by phone and helped to quickly resolve a sizing issue. (See below)

First impressions: Wow, this Gi is nice. Nice and heavy. But seriously. It is like a textile work of art. It almost looks and feels too nice to train in. I almost felt bad putting it in the washing machine for the first time. It is seriously that nice. The craftsmanship and quality just oozes from this Gi. The embroidery is amazing and probably the cleanest I have ever seen. The jacket is actually quite soft to the touch initially, that is before you try to grip it. The brushed cotton interior is a very nice touch. And the cotton drill pants are again, very soft and very comfortable. They are very simple and understated but absolutely perfect. I can only imagine how warm this is going to be to train in. I felt like I could have worn this outside in 30 degree weather and been ok. I was actually cold after taking it off.

Sizing and Fit: This Gi runs large. I am 6'1, 200 pounds with a 34/36" waist and a 30" inseam. I have pretty long arms and I have a couple other Gis in A3L so I ordered an A3L since A3 wasn't available at the moment. It went out of stock between the time I decided I wanted it and actually getting to order it. So I decided to try my chances with an A3L since I didn't really have another option at the time. I was really amazed when I took it out to try it on and it ended up being quite huge on me. Not just a little big. Really big. I have an Inverted Gear Panda in A3L and I wear the Large-Large in Origin's jackets. The Ronin wasn't even close. It was straight up BIG in the torso and even arm girth. So I called Fighters Market and they weren't sure when they were gonna get more in stock and he said he was going to reach out to Ronin. And that was when I remembered they were in Brooklyn, NY. I live in Northern, NJ. So I sent a facebook message to Ronin and I got a fast response and was told that I could come pay them a visit and swap it out. So that's exactly what I did after training on Friday afternoon. I went through the Holland Tunnel, across the Manhattan Bridge and all the way down Flatbush Ave to Kinji San Martial Arts Supply . I walked in with the Gi and I was greeted warmly with a "Hey, you made it!". The Ronin brand owner is a super cool guy and he got me sorted quick and I ended up in an A2L! First time ever getting an A2L.

INSIDER NEWS: After we got that squared away, he showed me a bunch of other cool project Gi's and recent releases. He showed me three that really impressed me. And he hasn't even released any info on this one to the public yet so you are hearing it here first. The Imperial Gold Weave in black will drop in about 2 weeks. This is a 480 GSM Gold Weave in a very vibrant black with crisp embroidery and a finish that only a gold weave has. Unlike the Imperial Double-Weave tho, the Gold Weave is not produced in Japan. But it was still quite impeccable. If you are into gold weave Gi's then this will be one that you will want to check out.
    The second one I liked was a Gi that was commissioned by Loyal Kimonos. It's called the Nemean and features a light pearl weave with some great embrodery and finishing touches on a dark navy jacket with black lapels and accents. I thought right away that it would make a great summer weight Gi.
    The 3rd one is called The Emperor. It's not even in available yet and I'm told it will be dropping in early March so keep your eyes and ears tuned for this one. The Emperor is a 480 GSM Pearl Plus weave which I was told is new or proprietary to this Ronin Gi. It felt and wore way heavier than what you think 480 might feel like. But it was nice and will certainly be popular once people see it or discover it. The embroidery and accents were great with 16 colors in the Samurai Warrior mask alone. The panels and gussets were all reinforced with artwork as well. If you scroll through Ronin's FB page you will see a couple hints of this Gi to come.

AFTER THE FIRST WASH:
    I cold water washed the jacket and pants as instructed and it does not appear to have shrank any. Nothing I can really notice at the moment. I've got it on a reinforced hanger on my Gi-drying rack. I am hoping it will be dry 18 hrs from now so I can wear it at evening class. I have already warned some of my teammates. I am ready to be hated and loathed by my training partners - even though I will just tell them I am trying to help them work on their grip training. I can see the gorgeous white cotton getting stained by peoples hands and fingers. I can almost already see people looking at their finger tips wondering where their skin went.

I will follow this up after I get to train it it this week. In the meantime, if you are looking for a super-technical and more in-depth review complete with measurements and shrink percentages, please check out Jay Galang's ( Bolopunch21 ) Battle of the Asian Heavyweights - The Ronin Imperial Vs. The Tatami Tank Vs. Howard Combat Kimonos.
    http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f67/ronin-imperial-tatatmi-tank-double-weave-review-2912523/

Cheers,
    Eric from Clean Fight Sport Soap & TheCleanFighter.com

[​IMG]Ronin1 by TheCleanFighter, on Flickr

[​IMG]Ronin2 by TheCleanFighter, on Flickr

[​IMG]Ronin3 by TheCleanFighter, on Flickr

[​IMG]Ronin4 by TheCleanFighter, on Flickr

[​IMG]Ronin5 by TheCleanFighter, on Flickr

2. TheCleanFighter

3. nodferatu

nodferatu Drilling in the south

Good start man but for future reference reviews don't go in this section, they go in the sub-forum called Gear & Equipment Reviews (click the name to go)

And the new loyal gi's do look bad ass.

4. TheCleanFighter

Sorry bout that. Feel free to move it if you want if you have admin privileges. All I saw was 'Gear & Equipment Discussion" and thought I was in the right place.

I really did like the Loyal Kimono. Mostly the quality of it, gram weight, the color and the contrast of the collar and jacket. The jacket weight felt almost identical to my Origin Crimson Tide. But if you like gold weave, wait till you see the Ronin Brand Black Imperial Gi. It was really impressive. The Emperor is going to be really nice too.

5. blink_man182

blink_man182 Black Belt

Great looking gi. Been waiting to see an in depth review on one of these. Thanks.

6. ironwolf

ironwolf Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

looks siiiiiick dawg!!!!

7. TheCleanFighter

8. ironwolf

ironwolf Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

I ordered the Tatami Tank becuse I cant come up wih a ronin here where I live. Im looking forward to comparing it to the Girilla gear kong judo gi.

9. Aikidoka

Aikidoka Chief Troublemaker Double Yellow Card

That's a great Gi!

10. Ice 9 Cobra

Ice 9 Cobra Black Belt

Let me know. I really want the tank, my Kong is too baggy. I haven't been able to find a nice thick gi since my Romulo Adidas gi got stolen and my HCK tore

11. Ippwnage

Ippwnage Banned Banned

man, i want to get one of those and fix it with an embroidery remover

12. TheCleanFighter

Fix it with an embroidery remover? Will never happen. The embroidery is the highest quality I have ever seen on a Gi and can not be un-stitched.

13. SumOfmyActions

SumOfmyActions Yellow Belt

Thanks for the review. Your post put me over the top and I drove out to kinjisan today and picked one up. Your sizing recommendation was right on as well. I'm 6'2 /195 and the A2L fits great. Today was Nogi so tomorrow I'll get to try it out. The most costly equipment purchase I have ever made in my 10+ years of training but I had to replace my old double weave due to severe collar fraying. Hopefully I can get a decade out of this one too. I originally wanted to spend a little less and get the M kimonos palladium double ($200) but it's out of stock and based on my initial impressions of the ronin imperial, Im glad it was.