Ronda's striking and Holly Holm's striking

krolik1157

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
So, ever since the Correia fight, there have been a lot of threads about how sloppy Ronda's boxing technique is, because Sherdog.

Now, some of that is because Edmond is clinically incapable of shutting up and her hands have been getting played up a lot by the UFC, but in 3 of her last 4 fights, she's:

1) Taken out McMann with a perfect knee to the liver in 64 seconds

2) Nailed Davis with a 1-2, a knee, and finished her while Davis got a grand total of two strikes in.

3) Knocked out Correia, whose best asset is her hands, in 34 seconds.

That's not bad -- you can say what you want about those fighters, but she's clearly having a lot of success with her hands and striking against the best fighters at 135.

Meanwhile, Holly Holm's boxing bona fides are pretty much beyond reproach. 33-2 record, 18-time champion in 3 weight classes, even though she never had much knockout power. (9 knockouts in 38 boxing fights.)

Since coming to MMA/the UFC, Holm has gone to a split decision with Raquel Pennington and got a UD over Marion Renau. She had knockouts before coming to the UFC, but most of them were with kicks and against opponents without Wikipedia pages; she's still not a power puncher.

TL;DR -- Edmond says that Ronda could be a boxing world champion, which seems like hyperbole. Holly Holm is an 18-time boxing world champion. In the UFC ring, Ronda's had knockouts over top opponents, while Holly hasn't been able to knock out either of her opponents. Is Holm's style of boxing not ideal for the UFC? What would Rousey look like if she had Holm's boxing fundamentals? Should that be her endgame?

"Because of Sherdog"???

Nah, because it was extremely sloppy and amateurish. No one with an unbiased bone in their body would watch that striking, and tell you it was the striking of a professional prize fighter. It was downright amateurish.

Yeah, she's a beast in certain aspects of MMA, but for god's sake, can we stop classifying her in the elite level of every category in fighting? She's not a good striker. It's not the end of the world, Ronda fans. Faaaack.

Women's boxing is significantly weaker than even wmma. Holm's "fundamentals" involve punching at air. Ronda is better off without that.

10/10 times Ronda destroys Holly in the cage

10/10 times Holly destroys Ronda in a boxing match

Holly is terrified of someone closing the distance and grappling with them so until she somehow fixes that she has no chance at the title with Ronda around. That said Ronda has awful technique so there is no way Holly would lose to her straight boxing. Too bad for Holly no one cares about women's boxing and she is fighting MMA...

bwahahahaha, what is your excuse, dumbass?

"Because of Sherdog"???

Nah, because it was extremely sloppy and amateurish. No one with an unbiased bone in their body would watch that striking, and tell you it was the striking of a professional prize fighter. It was downright amateurish.

Yeah, she's a beast in certain aspects of MMA, but for god's sake, can we stop classifying her in the elite level of every category in fighting? She's not a good striker. It's not the end of the world, Ronda fans. Faaaack.

What would you say about Pennington's strking vs ronda's? Now rewatch holly vs penny

So, ever since the Correia fight, there have been a lot of threads about how sloppy Ronda's boxing technique is, because Sherdog.

Now, some of that is because Edmond is clinically incapable of shutting up and her hands have been getting played up a lot by the UFC, but in 3 of her last 4 fights, she's:

1) Taken out McMann with a perfect knee to the liver in 64 seconds

2) Nailed Davis with a 1-2, a knee, and finished her while Davis got a grand total of two strikes in.

3) Knocked out Correia, whose best asset is her hands, in 34 seconds.

That's not bad -- you can say what you want about those fighters, but she's clearly having a lot of success with her hands and striking against the best fighters at 135.

Meanwhile, Holly Holm's boxing bona fides are pretty much beyond reproach. 33-2 record, 18-time champion in 3 weight classes, even though she never had much knockout power. (9 knockouts in 38 boxing fights.)

Since coming to MMA/the UFC, Holm has gone to a split decision with Raquel Pennington and got a UD over Marion Renau. She had knockouts before coming to the UFC, but most of them were with kicks and against opponents without Wikipedia pages; she's still not a power puncher.

TL;DR -- Edmond says that Ronda could be a boxing world champion, which seems like hyperbole. Holly Holm is an 18-time boxing world champion. In the UFC ring, Ronda's had knockouts over top opponents, while Holly hasn't been able to knock out either of her opponents. Is Holm's style of boxing not ideal for the UFC? What would Rousey look like if she had Holm's boxing fundamentals? Should that be her endgame?

Interesting thread

well we just saw that the gulf between there striking is larger than the pacific ocean.

I don't think Ronda will ever come close to having Holm's boxing fundamentals, but I don't think it really matters. Ronda doesn't showcase great technique in the cage, but she definitely generates power. Her striking just seems to match her tenacity. I honestly couldn't see her picking people apart from the outside because her strength lies in being in close with the grappling threat. She's developed striking that complements her abilities. It would probably benefit her to tighten up her technique a bit from a defensive standpoint, but I don't think she'd benefit greatly from being a sniper.

Holly holm pulled a Keyser soze on the UFC and ronda

Holm has good technique but her style is to win on points. Yes she has power but that's not her style. Ronda has speed, power and terrible technique. Can anyone at 135 take rondas blitz and judo. Nope.

Set up? Lol I think you meant to say telegraph. She spammed the same combo over and over.

I think Holm must have listened to your criticism buddy, because all her punches could find was ronda's chin the other night.

Ronda would submit or even KO Holm in under a minute. once she closes distance, Holm has nothing. she would maul her against the cage or throw and submit her.

I don't think Ronda will ever come close to having Holm's boxing fundamentals, but I don't think it really matters. Ronda doesn't showcase great technique in the cage, but she definitely generates power. Her striking just seems to match her tenacity. I honestly couldn't see her picking people apart from the outside because her strength lies in being in close with the grappling threat. She's developed striking that complements her abilities. It would probably benefit her to tighten up her technique a bit from a defensive standpoint, but I don't think she'd benefit greatly from being a sniper.

This is pretty much what I'm saying. People don't seem to understand that there's a trade-off between speed and power, and aggression and defense. I'm not saying Ronda is Sugar Ray Leonard, but her style of striking clearly works for her. People are acting like the people she knocked out slipped on banana peels.

Even the men struggle with having clean crisp boxing, so i really don't hold it against ronda

Holly Homie is grossly overrated. So damn boring to watch. All of that reach advantage and still shadowboxing in a fight.

Great credentials in other sports don't always translate. Overeem is a former world kickboxing champ but got killed by Bigfoot and Browne.

10/10 times Ronda destroys Holly in the cage

10/10 times Holly destroys Ronda in a boxing match

Holly is terrified of someone closing the distance and grappling with them so until she somehow fixes that she has no chance at the title with Ronda around. That said Ronda has awful technique so there is no way Holly would lose to her straight boxing. Too bad for Holly no one cares about women's boxing and she is fighting MMA...

Women's boxing is significantly weaker than even wmma. Holm's "fundamentals" involve punching at air. Ronda is better off without that.

Holm uses those "air punches" to set up her kicks. I'd suggest you rewatch her last fight then again I'd also suggest you not. Shit was borrrrrring.

Holm uses those "air punches" to set up her kicks. I'd suggest you rewatch her last fight then again I'd also suggest you not. Shit was borrrrrring.

Set up? Lol I think you meant to say telegraph. She spammed the same combo over and over.

Wand had great success without any defensive abilities in his striking. He just stood and bang. LOL! She's aggressive, athletic and her opponents are always afraid of the grappling. It's similar to what happens to The Chris. Not a beautiful technique, but it works.

Wanderlei Silva had some of the ugliest technical striking in mma history. Also some of the most brutal (in his prime of course). Tenacity, aggression, and power go a long way with four ounce gloves. Ronda is not a good striker, and definitely not a good boxer (balance, head movement, footwork, defense, combinations, etc.). Full stop. But she can punch and knee and that's enough for wmma at the moment when combined with her other stellar skills.

Holly Homie is grossly overrated. So damn boring to watch. All of that reach advantage and still shadowboxing in a fight.

But she "HAAH!" hella loud every strike, so it's impressive.

"Because of Sherdog"???

This.

Skills in sport is always spesific and Ronda's striking is better for MMA than the striking of Holm wich is a better boxer under Queensbury rules.

Back