Ronda's Real Competition: Double Standard in MMA

Completely agree with TS. Using an incredibly weak excuse of "didn't read" just proves that some would rather ignore a well thought out and researched thread because they don't have a reasonable, meaningful response to counter with related to the subject matter.

Breaking down the first 12 opponents for Cyborg and Ronda only gives further insight to strength of competition as some of Cyborgs early opponents were fighting at least 2weight classes up, had dismal records and never fought again.

It's fun to have opinions but it's difficult to argue with facts. Unless someone wants to completely disregard facts altogether but why waste time communicating with people like that? Good post TS.

Agreed. The first reply basically proves his point of double standards bordering on sexism in the sport. The people who write off the entire women's side of the sport are just as bad as girls who only watch because they think a fighter is attractive.

Completely agree with TS. Using an incredibly weak excuse of "didn't read" just proves that some would rather ignore a well thought out and researched thread because they don't have a reasonable, meaningful response to counter with related to the subject matter.

Breaking down the first 12 opponents for Cyborg and Ronda only gives further insight to strength of competition as some of Cyborgs early opponents were fighting at least 2weight classes up, had dismal records and never fought again.

It's fun to have opinions but it's difficult to argue with facts. Unless someone wants to completely disregard facts altogether but why waste time communicating with people like that? Good post TS.

Didn't read :)

I will say tho

Fedor does not have goat striking

even the mega fedor nuthuggers will say his striking was average

this as a huge fedor fan boy no one ever said he haid the best striking ever he threw loopy hooks. he also fought at a weightclass with a limit of almost double were wbw is at. anyone that doesnt think technique and weight are inversely correlative just plain doesnt know what they are talking about.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Ah, sherdog is full of alpha males*. Any recognition of womens sports makes them seem weak, and they cannot allow that or they will lose their internet cred. Women should not only be on par with men out of gate, they should be better than them. Because, only that logic makes sense. Nevermind that there are actually physiological differences between males and females. And that women are actually fighting other women on a level playing field.

If you don't like WMMA, that's your right and you don't have to watch it. But they should at least be given a chance. I think there are a lot of other deep seeded reasons for dislike of it other than the lack of talent. Any support of it means you are white knighting. Logical reasoning has no place here whatsoever. In my opinion, the level of talent is surprisingly better than I would have even expected at this point. Just for the simple reason that there are not a lot of women who want to enter combat sports, even if they have the physical talent. I find it intriguing.

*alpha male Guy who trains 8 hrs a day, 6' 6', 280 lbs, 5% bodyfat, has a 3000# total in the big 3, cardio for days, and bangs only 10s, many of which he casts aside for only being 9.9s. He also has a 7 figure salary, IQ of 180, and regularly merks lesser men in the street. All this while living comfortably in his parents basement on a straight diet of ramen noodles and Mountain Dew.

hop_confirm_logo.gif

Don't fret bro keep at that reading thing

Good one TS, I love your moxie but later for the haters. They're mad because their illusory dominant world status is in jeopardy.

I do find some humor in the fact that as I watched Ronda crush Bethe, I legit thought she looked exactly like Fedor.

You don't know how to establish the depth of a division, TS. WMMA is leagues shallower than men's MMA. You don't go down one level or just look at the top ten. Go down to the top 100 and see who the challengers beat to amass their records and who those women beat. If you follow the rabbit-hole down beneath the surface, you'll see what I mean.

DC was an Olympic wrestler and got outwrestled by a junior college Wrestler in Jon Jones.

This is an exceedingly stupid point. JJ didn't falter in his wrestling career. He might have easily been better than JJ. JJ could have been a Div I all-star wrestler over the past several years but chose to do MMA instead, after knocking up his girlfriend. He was at his athletic prime and DC is probably past it by a good margin.

I agree, I don't think it's fair to discredit an opponent based on a past profession, but that still doesn't make WMMA fighters anywhere close in talent to male MMA fighters. Women's sports just don't have the talent men's sports do, and trying to suggest otherwise, is just silly.

Lets compare another sport to mma. the nba and wnba. Where does the greater skill lie? I'm not even talking about how very very few women can dunk a basketball, while guys that are only 5'4, can dunk one. The biggest difference between men and women in mma, is that men have been doing some sort of martial art their entire lives. Women haven't. Many guys did wrestling all through high school and college or did kick boxing or boxing their entire lives. While the women most probably started doing it to get in shape.

Women's wrestling is a total joke in this country and everyone knows it. haha

how dare you insult Yuki Kondo. Kondo ko'd Frank Shamrock in Pancrase, Tito got his ass handed to him by Frank. ppl consider ronda's opponents cans because none of them appear to be on her same level. has nothing to do with records. once they step into the octagon, ronda completely outclasses them. thats it.

TS is hereby held responsible for all the Sherdoggers who got hospitalized after reading the OP, due to facts overload.

Thanks brother!

The fact of the matter is, it's far more impressive to see an adult human dispatch Hong Man Choi than all of Ronda's opponents.

Fact: The Honger once won a split decision over the legendary Semmy Schilt
(But, but, but, but, 'you haven't seen the fight if...', blah, blah, blah)

So you're saying it is as hard to become the female bantam weight champion as it is to become the light heavy weight champion?

Also, there might be examples of sloppy striking in the men's division also, but the opposite, showcases of extremely technical striking aren't seen (yet) in WMMA. When is the last time you saw a spinning heel kick or backfist KO in WMMA? When was the last time you saw a female destroy another with hard legkicks only? When have you seen a flying knee KO? When have you seen amazing technique in a WMMA fight?

BW WMMA is a weak division regardless of your argument about jobs. Lets not m make a straw man here: a lot of people argue that BW is weak and don't resort to calling top contenders soccer moms.

So when guys like Rhadi Ferguson and Brock Lesnar point out that the woman's talent pool is very shallow, that's a double standard? How many women are training in MMA compared to women's judo or basketball or track and field or soccer.

Women's MMA is a weak talent pool. Ronda was elite in a deep talent pool, judo. It's not a double standard to be honest about the difference in competition between the sport of WMMA and more populated women's sports. The problem seems to be that some people take an honest assessment of Ronda's competition as a personal attack on Ronda.

The double standard on these boards are at an all time high.

Stopped reading there after noticing your join date. "All time high" says the guy who has been a part of Sherdog for a whopping few months.

Back