Ronda vs Tate wins submission of the year - MMAFighting

It took 14 seconds to tap Tate after the armbar was fully locked in, it looked sloppy and awkward by Rousey trying to get it in the right position. I give Rousey props for being dominant but if it was anyone but her, it wouldn't have even been considered for sub of the year.

Championship armbar FTW?

That was for the championship right?

Hmm interesting. From what you're describing it sounds like you could also then use your tucked in foot to kind of roll the opponent over a bit and extend their arm further or the foot could provide a base to help provide power to your hips if you're really trying to break their arm. Either way, thanks for the input sounds like something more fighters could try and do cause a lot of them seem to lose their arm bar when they try and get both legs over the opponent

no, you want to keep your opponent close. The arm bar attacks the elbow. It works by bending the elbow in the wrong direction. If you were to push your opponent away, the fulcrum point would slide too far away from you and you couldn't get the hyper extension needed.
The technique I'm talking about realistically is primarily used from side control. When you come in from the side, it is more difficult and time consuming to get both legs over, verses when you attack from mount, you already have 1 leg on each side, so you are only throwing 1 leg over.
If you understand the principle of the armbar, it is almost always available. All you have to do is find a place to create fulcrum point on the back of the elbow, push up on the elbow while pulling down on the forearm. You can lay your elbow on the side of the couch or table with the forearm hanging down, and pull down on the forearm. That is the principle behind the arm bar.

no, you want to keep your opponent close. The arm bar attacks the elbow. It works by bending the elbow in the wrong direction. If you were to push your opponent away, the fulcrum point would slide too far away from you and you couldn't get the hyper extension needed.
The technique I'm talking about realistically is primarily used from side control. When you come in from the side, it is more difficult and time consuming to get both legs over, verses when you attack from mount, you already have 1 leg on each side, so you are only throwing 1 leg over.
If you understand the principle of the armbar, it is almost always available. All you have to do is find a place to create fulcrum point on the back of the elbow, push up on the elbow while pulling down on the forearm. You can lay your elbow on the side of the couch or table with the forearm hanging down, and pull down on the forearm. That is the principle behind the arm bar.

Isn't that what happened when Mir armbarred Sylvia? Could be wrong but I thought Mir broke Sylvia's forearm when as you said the arm bar is supposed to hurt the elbow

Haters gonna hate, but I don't really feel bad about it.

This is an armbar
Vinny-Magalhaes-Armbars-Igor-Pokrajac-UFC-152.gif

Yup, that's what I'm talking about!

Rousey being awarded sub of the year makes me worry where these awards are going, looks like more mainstream.

Yup, that's what I'm talking about!

Rousey being awarded sub of the year makes me worry where these awards are going, looks like more mainstream.

Ya Ronda being giving it was nothing but trying to please Zuffa/UFC and aid her marketability

I thought this was the obvious winner, Maia and kz would be 2 and 3 imo

Lauzon-Varner-Sweep-Triangle.gif

I thought this was the obvious winner, Maia and kz would be 2 and 3 imo

Lauzon-Varner-Sweep-Triangle.gif

Great sub and great fight too. Was amazing to see Lauzon with cardio, really makes him much more dangerous

In other news, Dana has awarded mmafighting/Ariel helwani continued exclusive interviews for their outstanding support of the Rhonda rousey project

It was good but that list and many others from the big sites just show that has bias they are towards the big organisations, maybe as someone who gets paid to report on mma, they should watch more.

My vote would go to Ryan Benoit at LFC 11, or Penne against Sugiyama at Invicta 3 because of the crazy triangle setup. Lauzons on Varner was sick too.

Wolfgang Janssen also got a jumping inverted triangle 2 weeks ago.

Isn't that what happened when Mir armbarred Sylvia? Could be wrong but I thought Mir broke Sylvia's forearm when as you said the arm bar is supposed to hurt the elbow

Silvia broke his forearm because he grabbed his other hand and picked Mir up. It was Mir's weight that broke the arm, not Mir actually breaking it.

Honorable mention to Wiman's armbar on Sass and Menjivar's on Gashimov.

If submission of the year is based on what got people talking the most, Rousey's certainly did that.

Back