Ronda vs Holm may not be a complete one sided beatdown

cheesus

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I do think Ronda mops the floor with her, probably plays it safe closes the distance and gets the clinch where it's pretty much over.

However, I would not at all be suprised if Ronda's downfall is her confidence, if she decides to try to prove how how elite she is in all assets of MMA and tries to perform a striking exchange the fight may be more competitive than people think. Holms power is very questionable though, if she can't put Ronda away she will still have trouble in a lot of areas.

This fight surely can be any worse than her last one..

Truthfully I give Holly two minutes of survival at most.

It all depends on how well she can keep the fight standing, if she can defend the takedowns and avoid the dangerous positions on the ground the fight will go the distance. Ronda will not finish her standing.

This is bad for Holm. All Ronda needs to do is charge forward clinch up and once that happens it's over for Holm. She'll get thrown on her ass and finished. If Ronda decides to strike with her she may have a chance, but the way this fight goes is going to be Ronda's choice, and that's why Holm is done. She has no answer to Ronda's Judo.

Even if she did strike with her, what's going to happen? Holm's striking consists of nothing put pawing jabs so it's not like Ronda is in immediate danger of getting KO'd if she doesn't get a takedown (which is a ludicrous idea in its own right) like she's fighting a Vitor Belfort type of fighter or something.

Ronda via effortless sub in less than a minute followed by more painful hype that she beat another "world class" opponent

All Ronda needs to do is charge forward clinch up and once that happens it's over for Holm.

That's what Ronda does but that approach hasn't worked in the men's game for years. There will come a time when the women's game has evolved past this primitive stage too. That's what troubles me about Ronda's style, it relies on walking through punches and a certain amount of ineptitude on her opponent's behalf. Fortunately for Ronda, there isn't anyone with the skills of a Joanna J in her division.

I think Ronda got the "standing to prove a point" thing out of her system against Bethe. I might just be imagining things, but during the post-fight interview, when they showed her the replay, she had kind of a surprised and disappointed look on her face, as though she was realizing for the first time how sloppy and amateurish her striking looks under live-fire conditions, especially in comparison to the artistry of her judo.

If she is half the champ she portrays herself to be, she will take this failure of discipline against Bethe as a wake up call, rather than as a sign that she can strike with anyone.

Yeah Holly "I need a full round to find my distance" Holm will hang-in there with Rousey, right...

That's what Ronda does but that approach hasn't worked in the men's game for years. There will come a time when the women's game has evolved past this primitive stage too. That's what troubles me about Ronda's style, it relies on walking through punches and a certain amount of ineptitude on her opponent's behalf. Fortunately for Ronda, there isn't anyone with the skills of a Joanna J in her division.

"Fortunately for Ronda, there isn't anyone with the skills of a Joanna J in her division"

Its the other way. Fortunately there isn't a Ronda at SW cause Jedi wouldnt survive 2 mins, takedown D wouldn't save Jedi, Rondas throws and reversal are more complex than a takedown from a 5'1 Carla or Penne who is good but not great.

"Fortunately for Ronda, there isn't anyone with the skills of a Joanna J in her division"

Its the other way. Fortunately there isn't a Ronda at SW cause Jedi wouldnt survive 2 mins, takedown D wouldn't save Jedi, Rondas throws and reversal are more complex than a takedown from a 5'1 Carla or Penne who is good but not great.

Yeah JJ didn't completely dominate Lima and barely squeaked by Gadelha, but she's much better than Ronda... :rolleyes: I mean if Gadelha was even better than the top 5 BW contenders, why not fight at 135, destroy them and fight Ronda for a big payday when she walks around about as heavy as Miesha Tate, instead of cutting 25-30 lbs to fight SWs...

Back