Ronda vs Cyborg should have Amanda Nunes on the card if Cyborg doesn't make weight

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by The Mookster, Aug 13, 2015.

1. The Mookster

The Mookster Green Belt

The title explains it all.

As stated by Joe Rogan on his podcast, biggest nightmare for UFC is if they schedule a fight and then Cyborg doesn't make weight because she is psychologically addicted to "supplements". Instead of canceling the fight or pressuring Ronda to fight a 175 mexican supplement fueled cyborg, they just put Amanda Nunes in there instead. Everybody wins, if Cyborg does the right thing, she gets a big payday, if not, fans still get a real contender fighting the champ.

Discuss.

2. craxie

craxie Yellow Belt

no, they shouldn't be on the card

they can just pay one of them to be on standby like they've done before

that way they can focus solely on Ronda instead of trying to split attention with their scheduled opponent

(and also you don't have to cancel another bout)

3. Fatal Catro

Fatal Catro Red Belt

Lets see if they make the fight first.
    Maybe we can even cut down on the Ronda vs Cyborg threads if and when it is announced.

4. JTJ89

JTJ89 White Belt

nunes needs another win to get a title shot

5. GalegodoVeneno

GalegodoVeneno Orange Belt

Yeah, a backup name fighter would be a good idea, because no way in hell is Cyborg reaching the weight, i think she will probably come some pounds above and act like is not her fault... Man i just wish Ronda took the challenge, i like the idea of dominat fighters taking challenges in heavier weights, but i guess this trend is long dead.

6. Rvd Slmr

Rvd Slmr Silver Belt

Since when fights get cancelled when someone misses weight ?

7. threelions

threelions Black Belt

Lol so Cyborg not making weight just before the fight is the latest excuse? Ahh it's just getting silly now.

I'll keep saying this as it's going to happen. The fight will be on at any weight once Cyborg starts looking like she's lost a step. They are waiting for her to decline then the fight will be on.

8. Rvd Slmr

Rvd Slmr Silver Belt

Yeah, but I don't remember any instance where this happened.

9. Ashenthorn

Ashenthorn Black Belt

Why would Cyborg start to decline before Ronda? They're very close in age and it's not like Cyborg takes much punishment in her fights.

10. LilMountain

LilMountain Section 20 Operative

Make a third 135 fight the very first fight of the night, and if Cyborg doesnt make weight she gets dropped to that fight, one of those fighters fights Holm/Nunes while the other fights Ronda

11. LilMountain

LilMountain Section 20 Operative

older

12. Ashenthorn

Ashenthorn Black Belt

Having just turned 30, Cyborg is younger than most of the current UFC champions. She's taken hardly any damage in her fights. She isn't declining any time soon.

13. El Fernas

El Fernas Red Belt

In this particular case that might happen, and i have said it before many times in Rousey vs Cyborg threads, the UFC will NOT have a non title fight with Ronda, they just would not have it, if she loses they get to keep a "paper champ" to the eyes of the general public, as she just lose to the challenger, even if this didnt made weight, and the winner doesnt have a division to go to anyway, on most cases the fight is agreed and it happens, i cant remember a title fight when someone missed weight in the UFC tho, in boxing i think is more common and only the one that made weight is fighting for a title.

14. Ashenthorn

Ashenthorn Black Belt

Travis Lutter missed weight for his title fight vs Anderson Silva. The fight went on as a non-title.

15. gspin2k1

gspin2k1 Green Belt

Same ol' MMA champ vs Boxing Champ hypothetical. Answer is always the same:

MMA fighter wins in MMA Fight
    Boxing Champ wins in a Boxing Match

16. tombombadil

tombombadil Guest

:confused::confused:

17. mattemate

mattemate Brown Belt

Yup. Title was misleading, made me think I had missed the news or something.

18. DGT4NOW

DGT4NOW Red Belt Platinum Member

There is no 'card' until she makes 135 at least once prior.
    That has always been Zuffa & Ronda's stance

19. Rvd Slmr

Rvd Slmr Silver Belt

It's not a problem, you don't need to "upgrade" the title fight in a higher class. Silva vs Lutter didn't became a LHW fight when Travis missed weight. If Cyborg misses and wins, Ronda keeps her belt.

Silva vs Lutter, and the UFC doesn't want Ronda to lose, regardless of being a paper champ or not.

20. georgejjr

georgejjr Black Belt

Not an issue so long as Cyborg makes weight.

If she doesn't then it would depend on how much she misses by. If she misses by a pound or two the fight will go on and she'll lose some of her pay. If she misses by more then she obviously was never serious about making weight, and they'll have a replacement.

Pretty much common sense. Lutter missed by a pound and a half, he obviously tried and missed to make weight. If Cyborg is that close the same would hold for her. If she comes in at three or more pounds over, then she didn't cut seriously and doesn't deserve the fight. Same is true for Rousey - if for some reason Rousey comes in at 138+, the fight should be canceled and the belt given to Cyborg (assuming she makes weight). There shouldn't be double standards here, both should be held to the same condition. Miss by more than two pounds and you're out - fair is fair.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015