Ronda vs Carmouche on PPV incredibly smart

Firstly, all the social media information I've seen (twitter/facebook followers, tv show appearances, etc.) suggest that Rhonda has plenty of star power and will pull in a decent, if not spectacular number of PPV buys.

Secondly, if the long sought Arianny vs. Brittany baby oil match takes place the sales will be astronomical.

Not saying the event will fail, just that's it's definitely the safer bet for them to fail with a PPV than on cable. Cause if I was Joe Sixpack flipping channels and saw 2 dudes fighting I'd probably stick around and see how it ends. The moment its the girls turn I'd fully expect the average not fight fan to switch to Mythbusters. Whereas with the PPV the only people buying the event are people who care about MMA in general and have a vested interest in how the cards go down so you don't have to worry about them so much. The average 40 hours a week person couldn't care less who's champion or on a 5 fight win streak so once their initial interest is lost they're changing the channel

I'm not convinced it was a mistake, business-wise, to make Ronda vs Carmouche the main event. It all depends on how much money has gone into marketing the fight.

BUT... I do think Dana would get a shit storm from female fans (of which there are many) and a lot of male WMMA fans if he didn't make it a title fight, after saying in the past (in reference to discussion about featherweight title fights) that a championship fight is always going to be the main event.

At the time, people were questinoning the idea that someone like Mighty Mouse should get be the main event, even if on the same card as a #2 ranked LHW, who would be a much bigger star. It would be very hypocritical of Dana to change his mind on account of women, and he's already struggling with an undeserved reputation of being intolerant of gays.
They could have paired it with an other title fight and made Ronda vs Carmouche co-main event. That would pretty much guarantee a big PPV audience.

Back