Ronda: The right person at the right time in the right place

actjac

Down goes Frazuh...down goes Frazuh
@purple
Reaction score
She is a great athlete and good for women's MMA but the low numbers and quality level of competition has made her a monster figure that men could not have achieved.

This is a fresh point and I'm glad you decided to share it.

She is a great athlete and good for women's MMA but the low numbers and quality level of competition has made her a monster figure that men could not have achieved.

Yes. Right you are. When she did her base sport (judo) she got mostly bronze and silver medals. Everything is relative. Judo is a strong, old sport with strong competitors while woman MMA is a small, new and marginal sport.

You just described pretty much every uber successful person to ever live - right person, right time, right place

I like threads where the OP should be just a P in another thread

Yes. Right you are. When she did her base sport (judo) she got mostly bronze and silver medals. Everything is relative. Judo is a strong, old sport with strong competitors while woman MMA is a small, new and marginal sport.

And some wrestlers have better applied strength in MMA fights than other, more decorated competitors. If your assumption is that whomever beat her in the Olympics would simply be a better MMA fighter...... Herp derp.

Mike Tyson was the male Ronda Rousey.

You just described pretty much every uber successful person to ever live - right person, right time, right place

The Tipping Point and Outliers both by Malcolm Gladwell

Examples:
The Beatles
Jose Flom
Christopher Langan
J. Robert Oppenheimer
Bill Gates
Steve Ballmer
Paul Allen
Steve Jobs

This is a fresh point and I'm glad you decided to share it.

I only come to this UFC forum every few weeks and given the fact of her weekend fight and yet another blowout my comment is timely.

Duh, Bill Gates was the right person at the right time. Issac Newton was the right person at the right time. Every success story in the history of mankind involves talent, luck and circumstances.

It`s obviously not understood by everyone, considering how people are still angry when others say Ronda isn`t that great.

I'm sure that has more to do with the people desperate to write off any and everything Ronda does. There's a discussion to be had about her greatness but to outright say she isn't that great is just being controversial and silly for the sake of it. I think a lot of you are just trolling though so whatever.

The Tipping Point and Outliers both by Malcolm Gladwell

Examples:
The Beatles
Jose Flom
Christopher Langan
J. Robert Oppenheimer
Bill Gates
Steve Ballmer
Paul Allen
Steve Jobs

You forgot Jesus Christ

tbh didn't really get the fascination with Outliers. Maybe if the book was called "excellors". For instance, he starts the book talking about how most hockey players are typically the oldest, most mature kids in their age group. No shit, the best athletes in my class were also the oldest most mature kids in our age group. I'm not sure that makes them outliers.

He also goes into great detail about how some "outliers" such as the Beatles and Bill Gates worked their asses off. In a broad sense they are outliers, but really they just worked harder than everyone else, and were afforded opportunities others didn't or couldn't have.

I'm sure that has more to do with the people desperate to write off any and everything Ronda does. There's a discussion to be had about her greatness but to outright say she isn't that great is just being controversial and silly for the sake of it. I think a lot of you are just trolling though so whatever.

If we are comparing her to the skill level of fighters that we are used to seeing, she is absolutely average. Nothing more. Her striking is sub par and if a male fighter had such average striking he would never be champ or even get a title shot. If we are only talking WMMA, then yeah shes light years ahead of anyone they will let her fight. But is that really saying much ?

If we are comparing her to the skill level of fighters that we are used to seeing, she is absolutely average. Nothing more. Her striking is sub par and if a male fighter had such average striking he would never be champ or even get a title shot. If we are only talking WMMA, then yeah shes light years ahead of anyone they will let her fight. But is that really saying much ?

She is very good at judo and arm bars but I don't see anything else exceptional.....as long as it works for her versus limited competition then more power to her....market her brand and bank the money.

She should probably go out like Mayweather with her 0 intact and rather make the rest of her career in movies and appearances.

Saying that she is not as great as how media people pretend she is, is just trolling? Wow ok.

Jon Jones was a young extremely capable athlete at a time when LHW had a lot of aging and deteriorating ex-champs.

Chuck was the a great mix of KO striking and TDD at a time when TUF boosted the UFC's profile and half of the divisions talent was in Pride.

You could do this all day for any success story.

Back