Ronda stats(quality of competition)

You're a stats guy huh? Stats are almost nothing really to be honest. For instance Jon Jones faced a lot of good competition and destroyed almost everyone. Ronda/Cyborgs competitors have lost against lack luster competition and faded. There is such thing as a weak division which is where women's division is at right now. I'm not saying it's because they are women because that's not what it is at all it's because they just got their own division. Women finally have a reason to dedicate their lives to MMA because they can actually make a living off of it. Eventually women's MMA will be up to par with mens but it is very new. Ronda and Cyborg are naturally gifted so they aren't tested by people late to the game. Jones is also naturally gifted but is still at least tested by fighters even though he is at the same level as them. That is why Cyborg and Rousey NEED TO FIGHT because at this point they are the only two with the skill and natural ability to test each other in MMA. I know it will get better since women have new avenue but I don't feel like waiting ten years to watch a great MMA fight between two amazing women fighters. Right now it's like watching Gracie beat a bunch of muscle heads with no experience in anything.

I disagree. I think Ronda fought tougher competition in her 12 fights than what Jones did. I'll skip past all of the guys with less than 3 fights and jump strait to his UFC fights, his debut against a guy that retired from the business shortly after that fight(can't even remember his name), Stephan Bonnar(lost to 50 year old Coleman), Jake O'Brien(look up some of the guys he padded his record with), Matt Hamill, and 40-something year old Vladdy. C'mon dude. Those were tough fights for Jones but I still think Rousey had a tougher route overall with her first 12.

Stats don't tell the whole story.

1. What was the competition that each of those opponents faced before they fought RR/Borg?
2. What is the weight class that each of those opponents normally fight in?

As someone else said, plenty of mma fighters (and hell, boxers too while we're at it) fight "lesser" competition early in their careers while they're still learning the game. It's not a knock on someone to say they fought "cans" at some point in their career, a lot of fighters do.

Looking at the opponent's opponents records is actually the best way to know the quality of competition. "Challengers" can be created through set-ups. It's harder to hide it the deeper you go into the Opps-Opps.

So the only highly experienced fighter she's fought has been in both of the longest fights of her career, and the time clocked in those two fights alone is a greater sum than all of her other fights combined. Correlation is not causation, but I'd be willing to wager -perfect records or not- that the veterans that Jon Jones had faced and beaten provided both a stiffer challenge, and a higher degree of significance when Jon bested them handily. I use the Jones template rather than Cyborg because they've experienced a similar amount of worship and contempt.

Stats don't tell the whole story.

1. What was the competition that each of those opponents faced before they fought RR/Borg?
2. What is the weight class that each of those opponents normally fight in?

As someone else said, plenty of mma fighters (and hell, boxers too while we're at it) fight "lesser" competition early in their careers while they're still learning the game. It's not a knock on someone to say they fought "cans" at some point in their career, a lot of fighters do.

Right. It looks significantly worse for Cyborg after you factor that in, as many of her opponents were 135 and even 125ers. And that Ronda beat legit 145ers. Not to mention that some of Rondas opponents beat some of Cyborgs opponents, including Cyborgs most legit win after Gina.

Love these white knight threads for a good evening laugh. So one persons conquest of cans is somehow better than the other because the cans she fought had fought even worse cans. Other than rousey and a distant second Tate wmma is nothing but a shelf of tomato soup. Pick one and the flavour is always the same (weak) shitty striking,poor fight IQ and very limited skills altogether. Once rousey is gone the wmma will be gone with it.

and still somehow, pretty much every fight between all the women looks like a ghetto street fights vol 2 segment.

Whether Ronda or Cyborg or anyone, WMMA is garbage. Should have their own cards.

And yet somehow people buy her cards and she's the biggest draw in MMA

and yet ronda won't fight her...:rolleyes:

Exactly, if she was so bad and Ronda knew she could just roll all over her in 14 seconds, then she would accept this fight in no time...I'm sure she wouldn't even care about Cyborg making weight or no, beating her would probably be her biggest fight (because, after the Bethe fight, obviously the media monstrosity has it's eyes on Ronda "Lasagna" Rousey), Dana would be all for it, he'd just make the fight at 135 knowing that Ronda would trash Cyborg, and it wouldn't matter at all then if Cyborg didn't make weight.

Meaningless without names. Records alone don't provide much useful information unless you consider the fighters behind the numbers.

I suggest considering the numbers behind the fighters. That way there is no bias based solely on who you think they are.

If you want, do the same analysis of each of these three fighters' opponents, tally them and get back to us.

For fight-finder fans, record = everything

Fight-finder stats are highly useful.... if you know what you're doing. Most people just look one-run deep and pretend they know what they're looking at.

Rousey ought to smash Cyborg. I hope she does, at least.

It's a better stat than nothing, but it's far from perfect.

There's a dude on here that spends a lot of time analyzing this stuff statistically. Don't recall seeing a post from him in a while, but he has a site and everything. I'm sure he has a take on strength of schedule comparisons between Rousey and Cyborg.

Exactly, if she was so bad and Ronda knew she could just roll all over her in 14 seconds, then she would accept this fight in no time...I'm sure she wouldn't even care about Cyborg making weight or no, beating her would probably be her biggest fight (because, after the Bethe fight, obviously the media monstrosity has it's eyes on Ronda "Lasagna" Rousey), Dana would be all for it, he'd just make the fight at 135 knowing that Ronda would trash Cyborg, and it wouldn't matter at all then if Cyborg didn't make weight.

Ronda's the champ. 135 or nothing.

If Cyborg would lay off the roids and heavy weights this fight would be a reality. So who's ducking whom?

After Ronda beats Cyborg in a lopsided victory who will Ronda fight then? It would kind of mark the end of her career.

Back