Ronda Rousey's game plan will it, can it, should it change?

But does Ronda have a gas tank?

She went 3 rounds with Miesha in what was mostly a wrestling and grappling match and finished her. Amanda has never won a fight that has gone past the 2nd round, except for the Valentina fight in which she merely hung on for the win because she was completely gassed out. Nunes is a 2 round fighter.

Will it change? Don't know. Can it change? Yes, with the right coaching. Should it change? Most definitely.

Ronda's old style of pumping a jab and then throwing a flurry of right-left-rights into the clinch works against at least 90% of the division since they don't have the footwork & other skills to avoid it even if they wanted to. Holm and Shevchenko can definitely do it and Nunes is a maybe. The problem is how much longer it stays this way, if Nunes keeps improving at the rate she has in the last couple years she'll have the footwork to consistently avoid the clinch in another year or 2. Pennington is also improving steadily and she can get there sooner or later. And who knows which fighters will join the UFC in the next few years.

Once Ronda starts going up against those fighters, she'll need more & better ways of getting to the clinch without taking damage. I'm on record as saying that Ronda would be unstoppable if she had even half of Valentina's clinch entries & setups.

Will it change? Don't know. Can it change? Yes, with the right coaching. Should it change? Most definitely.

Ronda's old style of pumping a jab and then throwing a flurry of right-left-rights into the clinch works against at least 90% of the division since they don't have the footwork & other skills to avoid it even if they wanted to. Holm and Shevchenko can definitely do it and Nunes is a maybe. The problem is how much longer it stays this way, if Nunes keeps improving at the rate she has in the last couple years she'll have the footwork to consistently avoid the clinch in another year or 2. Pennington is also improving steadily and she can get there sooner or later. And who knows which fighters will join the UFC in the next few years.

Once Ronda starts going up against those fighters, she'll need more & better ways of getting to the clinch without taking damage. I'm on record as saying that Ronda would be unstoppable if she had even half of Valentina's clinch entries & setups.
great breakdown, great points

She went 3 rounds with Miesha in what was mostly a wrestling and grappling match and finished her. Amanda has never won a fight that has gone past the 2nd round, except for the Valentina fight in which she merely hung on for the win because she was completely gassed out. Nunes is a 2 round fighter.
So apart from that one incident...Ronda rarely goes past the 2nd. And if I remember correctly both were tiring.

So apart from that one incident...Ronda rarely goes past the 2nd. And if I remember correctly both were tiring.

That was another fight Ronda barely trained for. She had to lose muscle for a movie role. Any way, I guess my point is Nunes has no cardio past the 2nd round and everybody knows it. It's been exposed countless times and as little as 2 fights ago. Maybe she's worked on it before the Miesha fight like she said but I doubt it. It's such a known problem for her that she went to a doctor to run blood tests trying to figure it out. That makes me believe it probably is a medical condition or hereditary because who would go to a doctor for a lack of cardio before first trying to fix it through training? She's probably tried to improve it through training and nothing works so she went to a doctor to see what the problem was.

Watch Nunes vs Sarah D'Alelio in Invicta and tell everybody about Nunes BJJ and how she wants to be on the floor with Ronda Rousey.

Ronda does not know how to box/kickbox. It wasn't a liability for her until HH. Could/should she have spent more time in her MMA career trying to get better at it? I'm not sure it would have made much of a difference. Ronda is ronda. If she can hold up mentally, she will continue to win big fights and make a lot of money. Her biggest opponent right now is her thinking. That is what she needs to change most.

Back