Ronda Rousey

why arent the female judokas coming over to mma? why must WBW recruit from the ranks of soccer moms and cardio-kickboxing instructors?

And Olympians and world boxing champions and marines with three tours of duty.

Rousey pissed off a LOT of people in the Judo Federation as well as old guard Judoka when she switched to MMA. She pissed them off enough that her name is actually modded off of many Judo boards or Judo affiliated web sites. They're not even allowed to mention her name let alone discuss her out of fear that she'll inspire more Judoka to go to MMA.

wow, didnt realize it was that bad. Shouldnt judo schools be rejoicing that a generation of kids now wanna learn judo like their idol?

-Not everyone wants to be hit in the face for a living.
QUOTE]

People forget this part. This isn't basketball where you're running down a court and throwing a ball into a hoop. You're getting punched in the face by other trained fighters and your bones being broken from strikes, arm bars, leg locks.

You can tell a lot sherdogger haven't been in a real fight before. Listen to Urial Hall tell it how it is recently, shit is still scary to him.

Sometimes we forget while sitting back in our couches at home while watching these fights. We'll critique the fighter saying why doesn't he simply do this like it's a golf swing critique.

You are delusional if think 16 year old pretty girls aren't viewed in a sexual way.

I didn't say they weren't.

I think it's gross a judo coach would think that's a good idea for their teenage pupil.

I don't see how this is an unreasonable opinion.

Wow his dad threw out a few comments about putting a teenage girl in a bikini and strutting her around. I'm sure parents would love to have their daughters train with them after reading that.

A trainer searching your belongings for un-prescribed food, because he believes she is not following the prescribed diet. How is that creepy?

If I was the trainer and I had to violate my fighter's trust and privacy to insure they were sticking to the plan I wouldn't be their coach anymore.

wow, didnt realize it was that bad. Shouldnt judo schools be rejoicing that a generation of kids now wanna learn judo like their idol?

The International Judo Federation has felt incredibly threatened by both MMA and BJJ. They deride BJJ as a bastardization of Judo and call MMA barbaric. They've moved to remove double legs and leg contact (even though they're legitimate techniques) to further differentiate themselves from wrestling and increase Judo's viewability.

Here's a few background articles....

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/2/2...aches-teaching-mma-european-judo-championship

http://fightland.vice.com/blog/judos-empire-takes-on-the-mma-rebels

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/new...ederation-testing-rules-barring-leg-takedowns

There is a cold war going on right now in the Judo world. The Judo federations are fighting to cling on to power and to combat the rising popularity of BJJ and MMA. Other Judoka are fighting to preserve more classical Judo and the freedom to expand their techniques through cross training into BJJ and other disciplines.

http://www.britishjudo.org.uk/forum/general-discussion/the-ijf-are-killing-judo

http://www.freestylejudo.org/

Right now it's a fight between those who want to preserve the status quo and those who want to preserve the martial art. And unfortunately a LOT of innocent Judoka are being caught in the middle.

You are delusional if think 16 year old pretty girls aren't viewed in a sexual way.

^

2ujjs6v.jpg

Right now it's a fight between those who want to preserve the status quo and those who want to preserve the martial art. And unfortunately a LOT of innocent Judoka are being caught in the middle.

did they care this much about Yoshida and Ishii? Perhaps a testament to Ronda's greatness that in Her wake, judo will be split into the Pre-Ronda and post-Ronda eras.

did they care this much about Yoshida and Ishii? Perhaps a testament to Ronda's greatness that in Her wake, judo will be split into the Pre-Ronda and post-Ronda eras.

Ishii and Yoshida were banned for life from the Japanese Judo Federation for fighting in MMA. Can't coach or teach at sanctioned schools. Can't compete. Ineligible to receive stipends and government support. Etc, etc.

So yes, they took it very seriously and they've paid a very high price.

Ishii and Yoshida were banned for life from the Japanese Judo Federation for fighting in MMA. Can't coach or teach at sanctioned schools. Can't compete. Ineligible to receive stipends and government support. Etc, etc.

So yes, they took it very seriously and they've paid a very high price.

How about Ogawa? Did he get the same treatment?

Still not impressive as Rickson Gracies 400-0 record

Master Ricksons record will never even come close to being broken, and by the way it's like 450 now and will gradually increase by 20 every year for the end of time

The very top Judokas? A few simple reasons.

-In love with the Olympic dream. It's more common to dream of winning a medal than fighting in MMA.
-Outside of the US, the Judo power house nations (Japan, France) compensate their top Judoka EXTREMELY well with phantom jobs, stipends, corporate sponsorships, etc. Outside of Rousey and the top draws in the sport, you would make more as a top Judoka in Judo than in MMA whether you're a man or woman.
-Inside the Judo world, fighting in MMA is viewed by many as not being any better than underground street fighting. In other words, it's viewed by many as both a massive step down in prestige and disrespectful to Judo's core traditions.
-In France it is actually considered ILLEGAL for a Judoka to teach MMA, compete in MMA, or even compete in tournaments for other martial arts. It is grounds to be banned from International competition. Even going to compete in Abu Dhabi is enough for you to be kicked off the national team and lose your Olympic roster spot. A Judo school that even teaches a single MMA class can lose their Federation status which means they can no longer compete, and that none of their students can advance beyond the first rank of Black Belt regardless of skills or knowledge (which is voted on by Federation members).
-Not everyone wants to be hit in the face for a living.

How much does the International Judo Federation hate MMA? They threatened to pull the Judo nationals from Britain (huge event with tens of thousands of expected spectators that had been planned for YEARS) just because the UFC wanted to SPONSOR the event. The heat was so severe that the UFC had to voluntarily pull out as a sponsor.

Rousey pissed off a LOT of people in the Judo Federation as well as old guard Judoka when she switched to MMA. She pissed them off enough that her name is actually modded off of many Judo boards or Judo affiliated web sites. They're not even allowed to mention her name let alone discuss her out of fear that she'll inspire more Judoka to go to MMA.

Her name must be mud with them. Awesome.

Her name must be mud with them. Awesome.

That is in fact the opposite of awesome.

What would be awesome is if the judo community embraced R3 and MMA as a sport.

Then perhaps we as fans would get the priviledge of seeing other high level judokas transition to MMA.

You must hate MMA.

So the fault automatically lies in the coach? Maybe there's a valid reason he doesn't care much for Ronda. The armbar video seems more of a publicity stunt than anything, I don't think it's necessarily an indicator of bitterness or jealousy.
I'm not saying it's Ronda's fault, it might not be. These Ronda fanboys however are trying to paint a picture of some pathetic, malicious, bitter man whose only objective is to bring Ronda down. Whilst pounding off to fantasies about her submitting them of course.

More about Yoshida and Ishii (both of which are much better known in Japan and judo circles in Europe than Rousey). Rousey is very famous in America, but America is a very weak judo country, it doesn't have much pull with the IJF. Japan on the other hand ....

Being famous in America doesn't always translate around the world. Tom Brady is very famous in the US. Probably wouldn't be recognized on the street in most of Europe.

Rousey won Olympic bronze and a world championship silver - very good, but hardly a dominating figure in judo.

I think he pretty biased towards Rousey; it wouldn't matter if she trained seriously or not, she was never beating Ueno in judo (double Olympic gold, several times world champion - Ueno was a dominating figure in judo, and Rousey's best chance at judo gold was waiting for Ueno to retire). On the other hand, he was Rousey's coach, so of course he thought she'd have a chance against Ueno. Doubt many folks not from the US would agree.

The most interesting part to me was how she would be doing Judo and be overweight and they would find her secret chocolate bars. He said she couldn't take it seriously and would have probably won a gold medal if she had.

To contrast that she was dropping weight on TUF just to show one of the contestants how fast she could do it and when she fights now she is always the proper weight on fight day.

Those struggles with chocolate bars may have helped her be who she is now, which is to say, very disciplined.

Excellent point. Sometimes you gotta fetch the water before you can appreciate the taste for it.

why arent the female judokas coming over to mma? why must WBW recruit from the ranks of soccer moms and cardio-kickboxing instructors?

You mean like Tate and McMann and Nunez and Davis....people who use this manufactured and fictional point are the most dishonest and intellectually lazy posters, and it's painful to see such unashamed, boldfaced folly. Ronda fought one can, and she removed her from the cage in a shorter time than it took to introduce the girl. The rest are black belts, Olympians, accomplished martial artists that she makes LOOK like cans.

But yeah, she'll probably blow up to 190+ when she retires, so all these desperate haters will finally have something to cling to. "I told you she was a worthless fatty! See, I was right!"

Back