Ronda Rousey makes Forbes "30 under 30" list

I'm amazed you have to spell it out for some posters ...

I'm also amazed.

Normally, I can't stand all of the abusive name calling on here, but sometimes I just want to quote Frank Mir.

"So you're telling me you're stupid."

Awesome! I can't wait til Rousey vs Carmouche does big numbers so all the WMMA/Rousey haters can cry!

Hell they already crying now!

What are you talking about??

Rousey's hype is mostly the work of the UFC marketing team.

Cyborg got where she is by knocking people's heads off.

Gina got where she is by having a 7-0 MMA record, beauty, and most importantly, by doing a tons of other work outside of MMA, such as video games, modeling, tv shows, etc.

So, in terms of MMA accomplishments, Cyborg has done the most.
In terms of mainstream popularity, Gina has achieved the most.

People outside of the MMA community don't know who Rousey is, whereas Gina is going Hollywood and is dating, Cavill, the star of the new Superman film:

afp-516380541-4_3_rx512_c680x510.jpg

220px-Man_of_Steel_poster.jpg

This is good stuff. Gina's a wonderful ambassador for MMA, and hopefully she can convince more A list stars to give it a try. We may not like it, but once a few really famous people hop on the MMA train and start tweeting about it constantly, it will blow up even more.

Plus, Superman needs a tough woman, so Gina's perfect. Maybe she'll play Wonder Woman when they finally drag that movie out of development hell.

she is getting a lot of stardom because she is a semi attractive girl. please tell me how she deserves to be on there over her more successful and well known male counterparts?. she hasnt even fought in the UFC yet, which makes it even more stupid

WAHHH! Ronda is going to be famous...WAHHHH!

Lol cry some more

This sh!t is getting out of control, seriously. Cant wait for Cyborgs return...

Rousey haters: let's root for the cheater to beat Rousey because her "hype" is getting out of control.

Rousey haters, rooting for cheaters one fight at a time...

This is good stuff. Gina's a wonderful ambassador for MMA, and hopefully she can convince more A list stars to give it a try. We may not like it, but once a few really famous people hop on the MMA train and start tweeting about it constantly, it will blow up even more.

Plus, Superman needs a tough woman, so Gina's perfect. Maybe she'll play Wonder Woman when they finally drag that movie out of development hell.

Interesting thought! Not sure about Gina's acting, but she sure has the looks to be a female super hero in a Hollywood comic book movie.
icon6.gif

[QUOTE="Rush";78538005]

With the way this forum is...I can't even tell if you're trolling or not.[/QUOTE]

Hahaha, very true.

What are you talking about??

Rousey's hype is mostly the work of the UFC marketing team.

Cyborg got where she is by knocking people's heads off.

Gina got where she is by having a 7-0 MMA record, beauty, and most importantly, by doing a tons of other work outside of MMA, such as video games, modeling, tv shows, etc.

So, in terms of MMA accomplishments, Cyborg has done the most.
In terms of mainstream popularity, Gina has achieved the most.

People outside of the MMA community don't know who Rousey is, whereas Gina is going Hollywood and is dating Cavill, the star of the new Superman film:

afp-516380541-4_3_rx512_c680x510.jpg

220px-Man_of_Steel_poster.jpg

It's not just the work of the UFC marketing team. She is going above and beyond to market herself, moreso than Carano did when she was fighting, and especially more than Cyborg has done. And yes, she does have Zuffa behind her also pushing her brand.

Comparing her accomplishments to Cyborg, I think she has done almost just as much. Cyborg's resume isn't exactly a who's who of WMMA. Her best win is probably Coenen, her most high profile win is easily Carano. Baszler, as good as she is, is almost like a high level journeyman. She can never seem to get over the hump. She always loses to the top fighters as well. Hiroko was largely untested when she fought Cyborg, and her two losses since have shown that she isn't what we hoped/thought she might be.

While Ronda doesn't have as high of a profile win as somebody like Carano, Kaufman is arguably just as good as Gina was. Tate is just as much of a high level opponent as Coenen, Carmouche (if she beats her) is arguably just as good of a win as Baszler.

Cyborg was crushing her opponents, but Ronda is beating her opponents just as impressively, and she has never been caught cheating. On top of that, she is an olympic medalist, credentials Cyborg doesn't have. It may not mean anything in the MMA cage, but when it translates to image, maretability, and overall accomplishments, it does matter, and this discussion is about Forbes, not Fighters Only Mag.

In regards to her popularity vs. Carano's, I would argue she is just as popular, doing just as much as Gina did when she was a fighter. Who cares about what Gina is doing now. That isn't relevant because she isn't a fighter anymore. But the biggest differences are, Gina was more of an accidental superstar. She was a good fighter who also looked good and had mass appeal. But she was never outgoing or outspoken the way Ronda is. Ronda is the better self promoter.

Not that it really matters anyways, because this discussion is about why Ronda is on the Forbes 30 under 30 list and Gina isn't under 30, so even if she was still fighting and a bigger name than Rousey, she still wouldn't be on the list over her.

Okay when Cyborg was doing shit this good nobody mentioned her. Now Rousey suddenly appears arm-barring weak competition and is being shoved down our throats.

Neither Gina nor Cyborg were offered any thing like the UFC, and they were imo doing just as good as Rousey is now if not better, and imo would probably put the hurt on Rousey. (Gina maybe not, but I know Cyborg would get the TKO)
Her competition is not weak relative to women's MMA. You could easily argue she has accomplished as much if not more than Cyborg already.

Okay when Cyborg was doing shit this good nobody mentioned her. Now Rousey suddenly appears arm-barring weak competition and is being shoved down our throats.

Neither Gina nor Cyborg were offered any thing like the UFC, and they were imo doing just as good as Rousey is now if not better, and imo would probably put the hurt on Rousey. (Gina maybe not, but I know Cyborg would get the TKO)

I can't wait for Cyborg to wreck her

Don't get me wrong... Rousey can fight, but she is becoming over-hyped IMO.

Back