Ronda Rousey makes Forbes "30 under 30" list

She's the new Kimbo Slice of MMA.

One loss and everything will be down the drain....

Once she fights a chick that doesn't get caught in the arm bar, and stands and boxes with her and knocks her the FUCK out... it's over. That's all she has, is her armbar.

Aldo also isn't the first woman to hold a UFC belt, or the first American woman to win a medal in Olympic judo.

These are the reasons she's on the list.

that in bold, IS impressive. the other bit , not so much

ginafatty.jpg

^ She's overweight here but still looks hot.

This is overweight and NOT hot:

xlarge.jpg

i dont get the "dana gave her the belt" argument....how many wec champs did "dana give the belt" and noone complained

Ronda holds a UFC belt that was never even fought for...go figure.

And she is defending the UFC title, yet has never had a fight in the UFC. What a joke of a belt. It should be for the Vacant 135 title, not Rondas title...

Man I cant wait for Cyborg to take her title, and her soul, in the same fight the same night...The what? I guess there is always Playboy or some crap Hollywood movie or a crap remake movie...

She's the new Kimbo Slice of MMA.

One loss and everything will be down the drain....

Once she fights a chick that doesn't get caught in the arm bar, and stands and boxes with her and knocks her the FUCK out... it's over. That's all she has, is her armbar.

So good when someone makes it clear how ignorant about grappling he is.

I hope Ronda Rousey gets so popular that she gets an entire forum dedicated to her.. so I don't have to hear about her in this one.

Okay when Cyborg was doing shit this good nobody mentioned her. Now Rousey suddenly appears arm-barring weak competition and is being shoved down our throats.

Neither Gina nor Cyborg were offered any thing like the UFC, and they were imo doing just as good as Rousey is now if not better, and imo would probably put the hurt on Rousey. (Gina maybe not, but I know Cyborg would get the TKO)

The reason is quite simple if you think about it. Cyborg was destroying people yes, but she is ugly and not very personable and can't even speak english.

Gina, while extremely attractive, was shy on camera and didn't speak out.

Rhonda, is destroying people just like cyborg was, but she is attractive and highly outspoken. That is the big difference as to why she is where she is at, and both Gina and cyborg never came close to what Rhonda has done. Just look at what Chael sonnon did, once he started becoming more outspoken. While Rhonda isn't to the extreme sonnen is, people aren't used to hearing a woman so brazen and brash. That all translates into people wanting to see her, hear what she says. Dana loves it.

"You're not allowed to lose anymore. You're not even allowed to win" ~ Pat Barry

Prime example: this thread.

Any woman can look pretty with photoshop and makeup galore.

rousey_1.jpg

your trying to hard to discredit someone you don't even know. Im not a fan of hers but im also not going out of my way to hate, if something gets mma more press im fine with it

Why are people posting jailbait pictures of Rousey and saying she's ugly? Don't you know most ugly ducklings as they were young get hotter as they age? Smfh...

Aldo also isn't the first woman to hold a UFC belt, or the first American woman to win a medal in Olympic judo.

These are the reasons she's on the list.

the first reasonable post, the rest seem to be a flash mob of haters who want her dead. Im a fan of mma and if someone represents and gets the sport more attention no matter of gender im glad. Could she tone down her talking a bit? Yes but that makes no money

Another day, another Rousey thread by Rush.

I've made two Ronda Rousey threads.

And she is defending the UFC title, yet has never had a fight in the UFC. What a joke of a belt. It should be for the Vacant 135 title, not Rondas title...

Man I cant wait for Cyborg to take her title, and her soul, in the same fight the same night...The what? I guess there is always Playboy or some crap Hollywood movie or a crap remake movie...

You're still holding onto this?

Her and Liz were both SF fighters. Ronda was champ, they gave it to her just like Aldo and Cruz

Nice, good for her.

Stackin' dem chips.

Like the post above your's says. What about Aldo and Cruz when they came over from the WEC? Same situation, when all three champions crossed over from a closing Zuffa owned company their titles crossed over as well.

she is so pretty, and she trolls like chael sonnen!. this is not what fightsports is supposed to be about. image is now taking precedense over actual ability and results. :icon_neut

What you seem to be missing is that she has the actual ability and results in addition to those other things. That's why she is the total package. That is why she is marketable. That is why she is getting the attention she does. If it were just about looks, Michelle Waterson would be the biggest star in MMA. The reason Carano was so popular was because she looked good and kicked ass. Ronda looks pretty good, she talks a good game, she does a better job marketing herself than maybe anyone in MMA, and she is an olympic medalist, and she is a worldbeater in MMA.

Why Ronda over Jones, Aldo, Bendo, JDS, Weidman or a lot of other MMA fighters under 30 who have done more/can do more?

It's Forbes, not ESPN. I'm pretty sure they consider more things than just the w/l column.

I agree tho I do think Gina was heavily promoted. They definitely didn't promote Cyborg at all. As soon as Ronda beat Tate they promoted the hell out of her, I have an idea why but Ill just keep that to myself.

She is also a good self promoter. What was Cyborg or even Carano doing to get their names out there? It's not just Zuffa pushing Ronda, it's Ronda pushing Ronda. She's going above and beyond to get exposure and build her brand...which is why she made the Forbes list.

because it is undeserving. unless you can tell me what she has done to deserve that honour over so many big names in the sport?

It's Forbes, not ESPN.

"She's already getting media we've never even got before" - Dana White

Ask all the sponsors why they are giving her endorsements. Ask TMZ why they let her be a guest host. Ask the stock exchange why she got to ring the bell. Ask all of the mainstream talkshows why they have her on as a guest. Ask them all why they are giving her all of this and not most other fighters, or in some cases, no other fighters.

It's about marketability. She is just as, if not more marketable than the other UFC/MMA stars. That is why she is getting attention. That is why she is on the Forbes list. It's not just about in-ring/cage accomplishments.

I don't think it's that hard to understand.

jose aldo hasnt lost a fight in almost 8 years and has beaten p4p tougher competition by a mile.

jon jones is one of the best fighters ever and he accomplished a ton at a very early age, also fought and beaten better competition.

rousey hasnt even fought in the UFC. i honestly dont get it...

She is getting exosure the others can't get. She is the total package. If you honestly don't understand why she is doing things Aldo never has, I don't know what to tell you. It's pretty obvious to me.

[QUOTE="Rush";78539013]Im a big Ronda fan and she has a lot of haters - so i stick out like a sore thumb.[/QUOTE]

It's not even that. Even if you hated Ronda, I think you would be saying the same things, because you actually know what you are talking about and don't make a habit of talking out of your ass. You actually know about WMMA, so you would never make a claim like "she's never beat anybody good" because you know better. You would still be able to acknowledge the things you bring up now. That's the difference between knowledgeable fans and those who really don't know what they are talking about.

There are a lot of people complaining that Forbes chose her because of her marketing potential over just her accomplishments in and of themselves...even though it's Forbes and it's about money, not sports accomplishments.

There are a lot of people who don't know anything about WMMA, and don't even want to know anything about it, but still think they are in a position to argue with people who actually do know about it.

There are a lot of people around here that like to talk out of their asses. Most people on here, really.

Strange list

They have champions like Rory McIlroy and Lebron James

And fringed contenders like Andy Murray

Then they have some obscure American soccer player?

It should be one or the other

The reason is quite simple if you think about it. Cyborg was destroying people yes, but she is ugly and not very personable and can't even speak english.

Gina, while extremely attractive, was shy on camera and didn't speak out.

Rhonda, is destroying people just like cyborg was, but she is attractive and highly outspoken. That is the big difference as to why she is where she is at, and both Gina and cyborg never came close to what Rhonda has done. Just look at what Chael sonnon did, once he started becoming more outspoken. While Rhonda isn't to the extreme sonnen is, people aren't used to hearing a woman so brazen and brash. That all translates into people wanting to see her, hear what she says. Dana loves it.

What are you talking about??

Rousey's hype is mostly the work of the UFC marketing team.

Cyborg got where she is by knocking people's heads off.

Gina got where she is by having a 7-0 MMA record, beauty, and most importantly, by doing a tons of other work outside of MMA, such as video games, modeling, tv shows, etc.

So, in terms of MMA accomplishments, Cyborg has done the most.
In terms of mainstream popularity, Gina has achieved the most.

People outside of the MMA community don't know who Rousey is, whereas Gina is going Hollywood and is dating Cavill, the star of the new Superman film:

afp-516380541-4_3_rx512_c680x510.jpg

220px-Man_of_Steel_poster.jpg

I feel what some of yall are saying. I might not have selected anyone in MMA, because its such a short list, and there are so many fields to choose people from. If any MMA fighter were to be selected, Jones would be the obvious choice. I don't think Rousey will see 1/10 of his career earnings, when its all said and done. We have yet to see if she has anywhere near his drawing power.

That said, what's good for the goose is good for the gander. I don't find her more than mildly attractive, and I find her trash talk to be pretty elementary and boring. But if she can bring even a few more thousand people to MMA, I'm all for seeing her face plastered everywhere. The goal here is the growth of the sport, and acceptance into the mainstream. Anyone who furthers that goal should be welcomed with open arms.

Back