Ronda Rousey Is The Best Thing That Ever Happened To This Sport

Hardcore MMA fans are, by their very nature, ignorant people so I can see how they would have trouble appreciating Rousey, but I do appreciate her.

Rousey did more than any other fighter to bring MMA to mainstream status. She has a bad attitude and her skills were insanely overhyped, but that is irrelevant since she was great for the sport.

Rousey tapped into a cultural movement in a way that nobody could have planned or anticipated. She tapped into the Feminist agenda that the mainstream media has been pushing hard for the last few years. Since Rousey was a woman and she was successful in a man's sport, she became the darling of mainstream media and the UFC got tons of free positive press coverage.

Casual fans fell in love with her, not because of who she was, but because of what she represented. We should be grateful since MMA becoming mainstream means many good things, including: better athletes coming into the sport, higher pay for the fighters, more events, a bigger fan community, etc.
Couldn't agree with any post more.

giphy.gif
sausage_vidpic_031516_1280Copy.jpg

You make a good point but 90% of people won't read that, and 99% of those people hate Ronda.

I wish a gal with a better attitude could've done it instead.
By the very nature of this sport it would be difficult to achieve what a woman like Ronda did with a cheerful personality.

By the very nature of this sport it would be difficult to achieve what a woman like Ronda did with a cheerful personality.

No doubt someone who can draw as many haters as lovers will.always outsell someone firmly on either end. I just yearn for a world where positivity conquers all. Mostly cause I've been drinking.

She gave us a villian to hate and it was fun but she is never going to fight again.

She's the best thing that ever happened to this sport. But I think her rise and fall are equally as important. There's no way the hype that we were experiencing around the Bethe fight and up to the Holly fight was good for the sport. It was borderline insane/hysterical.

Solid and balanced post. Things were definitely getting out of hand.

I don't think Ronda was the best thing that ever happened to MMA, but she clearly was the best thing that happened to WMMA. It's an established and growing part of the sport now, but it was pretty marginal not that far back. That's got more to do with Ronda Rousey than any other individual.

She gave us a villian to hate and it was fun but she is never going to fight again.

To casuals she was and still is a hero, not a villain. She is inspiring olympians and bringing them into the sport.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ronda-...vbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQjI0OTBfMQRzZWMDc3I-

“I think there is a beauty standard that is growing that healthy is now strong, not just skinny,” Gray said. “The whole movement now, I think Ronda was a huge part of it. MMA embracing [women in] combat spots has been very progressive from the standpoint of allowing women to be of a more muscular build and have that hard work show and have it be appreciated."

She is only a villain to some hardcore fans, I assume because they are insecure and are threatened by strong women. Also because of how heavily she was promoted by White and Rogan, but they were only doing the smart thing and running with the media phenomenon.

Hardcore MMA fans are, by their very nature, ignorant people so I can see how they would have trouble appreciating Rousey, but I do appreciate her.

Rousey did more than any other fighter to bring MMA to mainstream status. She has a bad attitude and her skills were insanely overhyped, but that is irrelevant since she was great for the sport.

Rousey tapped into a cultural movement in a way that nobody could have planned or anticipated. She tapped into the Feminist agenda that the mainstream media has been pushing hard for the last few years. Since Rousey was a woman and she was successful in a man's sport, she became the darling of mainstream media and the UFC got tons of free positive press coverage.

Casual fans fell in love with her, not because of who she was, but because of what she represented. We should be grateful since MMA becoming mainstream means many good things, including: better athletes coming into the sport, higher pay for the fighters, more events, a bigger fan community, etc.
RHonda fans are freakin mentals

One of the worst moments in MMA history.

You, my friend, represent a typical hardcore fan.

Intellectually glib and unable to look at the big picture.

You shit on the people who are working hardest to bring MMA to the next level like Rousey, McGregor, Dana White, etc.

That is why you are at home eating cheetos and watching Pride re-runs and they are working to ensure that the future of MMA is a bright one.

Bringing MMA to the next level? How many more rules will that have? I liked it best in the early days when fights weren't called MMA, they were called No Holds Barred Fights and the objective wasn't to be the best within a 10 or 15 pound range of weight; the objective was to be the best, period. You got a stacked card every time with men now considered legends and they charged $20 for each PPV.

Aren't hardcore fans the fans that know more about the sport than the other fans? How do you equate knowing more with being ignorant?

They might know more trivia, MMA history, etc. similar to how autistic people can know a lot about one subject, but they are ignorant about what is best for business, what mainstream society likes versus what just they themselves like, and how to turn MMA from a niche product to a mainstream sport like baseball, soccer, basketball etc.

The people that REALLY what is good for the sport are those whose livelihood depends on it and who are in charge of shaping its future. Guys like Dana White, Joe Rogan, etc. and clearly they stand firmly behind Rousey.

To casuals she was and still is a hero, not a villain. She is inspiring olympians and bringing them into the sport.

You mean heroine, right? She is female. Her attitude was that of a heel, however because of her arrogance. She was friends with Roddy Piper and her manager is or was Gene Lebell. They taught her enough so that she understands the psychology from pro wrestling of what makes a great heel and was smart enough to realize that her personality made her much more successful as a heel than as a fan favorite or babyface.

Aren't hardcore fans the fans that know more about the sport than the other fans? How do you equate knowing more with being ignorant?

So, being a blood and gore loving fanboy equal knowlegde now? Generally speaking; hardcore fightfans are seldom among the sharpest knives in the drawer...

They might know more trivia, MMA history, etc. similar to how autistic people can know a lot about one subject, but they are ignorant about what is best for business, what mainstream society likes versus what just they themselves like, and how to turn MMA from a niche product to a mainstream sport like baseball, soccer, basketball etc.

The people that REALLY what is good for the sport are those whose livelihood depends on it and who are in charge of shaping its future. Guys like Dana White, Joe Rogan, etc. and clearly they stand firmly behind Rousey.

You say these "ignorant" people know more about the sport but they don't especially care what mainstream society likes; they care about what they like. That sounds reasonable to me. If I'm going to spend my money on something, the standard I base my purchase upon certainly won't be based on how much mainstream appeal the product has; it will ne based on how much it appeals to me. That's not ignorance; it's rationality.

So, being a blood and gore loving fanboy equal knowlegde now? Generally speaking; hardcore fightfans are seldom among the sharpest knives in the drawer...

If the sight of blood makes you squeamish, you never should have gotten involved with watching people who fight in a cage for a living. BTW, I never mentioned blood or gore. You made that up and put in a context where it appears blood and gore offend you. I'm not a child either. I bought UFC 2 when it originally aired so do the math.

Regarding knowledge, I stated that the hardcore fans know more about the sport than the other fans. You're twisting my words around and outright making up things that you claim I posted in order to try to appear clever but it only makes you dishonest, or more to the point, a liar.

Back