Ronda Rousey Is The Best Thing That Ever Happened To This Sport

Frank Edgar

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Hardcore MMA fans are, by their very nature, ignorant people so I can see how they would have trouble appreciating Rousey, but I do appreciate her.

Rousey did more than any other fighter to bring MMA to mainstream status. She has a bad attitude and her skills were insanely overhyped, but that is irrelevant since she was great for the sport.

Rousey tapped into a cultural movement in a way that nobody could have planned or anticipated. She tapped into the Feminist agenda that the mainstream media has been pushing hard for the last few years. Since Rousey was a woman and she was successful in a man's sport, she became the darling of mainstream media and the UFC got tons of free positive press coverage.

Casual fans fell in love with her, not because of who she was, but because of what she represented. We should be grateful since MMA becoming mainstream means many good things, including: better athletes coming into the sport, higher pay for the fighters, more events, a bigger fan community, etc.

FzDO56R.gif

Starts topic by saying hardcore MMA fans are ignorant...on Sherdog

If she was attractive, I would put up with her personality. But she is not, so I will not.

One of the worst moments in MMA history.

You, my friend, represent a typical hardcore fan.

Intellectually glib and unable to look at the big picture.

You shit on the people who are working hardest to bring MMA to the next level like Rousey, McGregor, Dana White, etc.

That is why you are at home eating cheetos and watching Pride re-runs and they are working to ensure that the future of MMA is a bright one.

Yes shes the only reason i watch this gay grope fest

She broke deeper into the mainstream than any other fighter before her. This is true.

She's the best thing that ever happened to this sport. But I think her rise and fall are equally as important. There's no way the hype that we were experiencing around the Bethe fight and up to the Holly fight was good for the sport. It was borderline insane/hysterical.

You shit on the people who are working hardest to bring MMA to the next level like Rousey, McGregor, Dana White, etc.

That is why you are at home eating cheetos and watching Pride re-runs and they are working to ensure that the future of MMA is a bright one.
giphy.gif

He probably knows how to construct a paragraph though.

She brought a TON of new fans and more mainstream media than any other fighter in the history of the sport, that's inarguable.

You make a good point but 90% of people won't read that, and 99% of those people hate Ronda.

I wish a gal with a better attitude could've done it instead.

Back