Ronda Rousey is not an all-time great. Not a great fighter.

Yeah and she got lucky. Because she was going to lose that fight and basically hit a Hail Mary
That was the performance of her life. She probably realized she aint got another like that in her.

I see her as more of a tool of the corporation than a pioneer. A pioneer blazes their own trail. In this case the UFC handpicked a marketable female fighter and essentially cast her as the champion among champions. She is a great athlete, but very one dimensional. Everytime I saw her hit a headlock I thought "Jesus Christ, when are these broads going to figure out how to drop their hips?" People at it up too and a lot of money was made. Now Its over, but the women's division is established. I'm guessing some very dark days are ahead for Rousey. She already has some serious issues and it wouldn't surprise me if she went the way of Jason Miller.
royce was not a tool for the corporation? Royce is not a pioneer? I think we are all just thinking out loud in here,but you can find just as many differences as you can similarities with people who are considered great for whatever reason.

she is was and always will be royce gracie

the comparison was always pretty dead on

As soon as WMMA evolved to any acceptable level she was always going to look like shit but that doesn't mean she wasn't awesome when WMMA was terrible

Nah, I never seen Royce knock out anyone. Royce didn't have world class takedowns either.

Please, she beat Meisha twice, who beat Holm, who is one of the "evolved" fighter...

He wasn't a great fighter at all. You kidding? He was a great BJJ practitioner, but obviously not a great fighter. He couldn't do ANYTHING else!
you have no idea what you are talking about yet again. You try to tell anyone that he didnt have to fight for his life against Kimo. That fight is an all time classic,you cant just hipster contrarian your way into this and say that wasnt great. it was!

Not on the level of the very best male fighters I'd agree although really no woman is yet although actually I think her last couple of matches aren't really the product of "not having the heart of a fighter" there the product of becoming involved with a disgraceful charlatan trainer and turning away from her previous strengths in favour of mindless brawling.

Could agree with all that,but also it should be noted that Miesha wasnt under the pressure Ronda was either. No camera were following her around after he loss to Nunes at the airport,and mainstream media mags werent taking shots at her. Ronda could have handled it better but she had alot of weight on her shoulders.
That's because Miesha wasn't a raging thermonuclear asshole in victory.

Cameras were following Ronda after Holly bodied her because they wanted to see Ronda eat crow.

That's because Miesha wasn't a raging thermonuclear asshole in victory.

Cameras were following Ronda after Holly bodied her because they wanted to see Ronda eat crow.
They followed her because she was Ronda. Miesha could have pissed on hollys unconcious body and no one would have really cared.

she is was and always will be royce gracie

the comparison was always pretty dead on

As soon as WMMA evolved to any acceptable level she was always going to look like shit but that doesn't mean she wasn't awesome when WMMA was terrible
Ronda didn't lose because WMMA "evolved." Had she fought Cyborg 3 years ago this would have happened back then, and Cyborg had a WMMA belt before Ronda even joined the sport.

The very first time Ronda got matched against an experienced, competently-coached (but still extremely flawed!) fighter, she got her clock cleaned. Neither Holly Holm nor Amanda Nunes are some sort of freakish next-generation evolution of the fight game. They are capable strikers who don't immediately fall to the ground the first time you grab them, which makes them safely out of Ronda's league.

To compare her to Royce is ridiculous. Royce was fighting against some of the best strikers in the world. He beat an All-American wrestler that outweighed him by 75 pounds!

Ronda didn't lose because WMMA "evolved." Had she fought Cyborg 5 years ago this would have happened back then, and Cyborg had a WMMA belt before Ronda even joined the sport.

The very first time Ronda got matched against an experienced, competently-coached (but still extremely flawed!) fighter, she got her clock cleaned. Neither Holly Holm nor Amanda Nunes are some sort of freakish next-generation evolution of the fight game. They are capable strikers who don't immediately fall to the ground the first time you grab them, which makes them safely out of Ronda's league.

To compare her to Royce is ridiculous. Royce was fighting against some of the best strikers in the world. He beat an All-American wrestler that outweighed him by 75 pounds!
yah dude but

he was wearin a gi!

let Honda wear a gi,you see what happens!!!

yah dude but

he was wearin a gi!

let Honda wear a gi,you see what happens!!!
OK, we'll let Ronda wear a gi, and in exchange, she has to fight an All-American wrestler that weighs 200+. Sound legit?

you have no idea what you are talking about yet again. You try to tell anyone that he didnt have to fight for his life against Kimo. That fight is an all time classic,you cant just hipster contrarian your way into this and say that wasnt great. it was!

You dont understand this sport at all.

To say someone is a great fighter in an MMA context means they are a great mixed martial artist. GSP was a great fighter. So was Aldo. So was Jones.

Royce wasnt, because he wasnt a mixed martial artist, there was no 'mixed', he was just an insanely tough BJJ practitioner.

Roger Gracie, Galvao etc - great bjj, not great fighters. It's laughable I even have to explain this. So basic.

nah what she achieved is greatness. She beat miesha twice and cat once as part of a 12-0 streak. That is great.
Ronda holds wins over those two who have beat the two women that beat her. The sport hasn't changed or evolved passed her or some weird justification.

Incorrect.

What you saw was the steep learning curve that is women's MMA.

Ronda would lose to several girls that have now learned clinch defense.

Ronda will likely now retire, so it's a moot point, however.

No she doesn't.

She's been hurt twice in her career, and has folded immediately thereafter.

How is that heart? Surely someone should have to recover from being hurt and actually do something in retaliation before they could be considered as having heart?

If Honda has another fight, gets hurt, and then gets wiped out soon after again, are you still going to say she has heart?

Heart is not an inability to do anything whatsoever the minute you get stung with a punch dude. If you get punched and are then just waiting to get stopped, that ain't heart.
Dumb comment. Have you ever been in a fight? The girl got stopped standing after getting seriously hurt on her feet. Still coming forward.... plenty of heart shown. Keyboard works well though

I think she is. She finished off a lot of competitors in quick fashion and let's not pretend the division has magically evolved in the last year or so. It hasn't. Let's not write her off for losing twice in a row either. Holm lost twice in a row after beating Ronda, the first of which was to someone Rousey had defeated twice. By the time Nunes had fourteen fights like Ronda has, she had already tasted defeat a total of four times (twice being to women whom Ronda easily disposed of.) I still think it's possible Ronda switches camps, makes vast improvements to her game and returns to take control back of the division she once dominated. Dismissing her already is silly.

Not on the level of the very best male fighters I'd agree although really no woman is yet although actually I think her last couple of matches aren't really the product of "not having the heart of a fighter" there the product of becoming involved with a disgraceful charlatan trainer and turning away from her previous strengths in favour of mindless brawling.
The way Ronda fights has never worked against decent competition in men's MMA. Judo itself, as a one and only strength, is just about the worst one to have in MMA. Judo requires the clinch to even be able to implement it, and to get to the clinch, Ronda always marched forward with her head in the air.

She has no single legs. No double legs. She doesn't cut angles. She has no head movement. She literally walks forward with her head in the air and eats punches to get to the clinch. In men's MMA she would be 0-14 with every fight looking like the Nunes one.

Her last few fights haven't been Ronda trying to brawl. She's done the same thing she's always done. It's just the competition took one step up from being retarded. Her coach is awful, but I doubt she could beat Nunes even if she went to Jackson's for instance.

Back