Ronda Rousey is not an all-time great. Not a great fighter.

Honestly for most of her run Miesha was the best fighter in her division other than Ronda. And Miesha is tough, and experienced but she is not Great.. Once that division evolved to girls with actual dangerous weapons.. Ronda was fucked.
y'all gunna forget Miesha holds a victory in what was probably the greatest womens mma title fight and it happened this year. Why talking like these girls are years past their prime. This was six months ago.

She needed to defend those strikes. Or move to get away. I think she didnt move because she was trying to see an oppurtunity to grab her,which she did try.

There was no concerted attempt to get the fight to the floor either time after she got hurt. This is the crux.

Cool. Every time you get hurt, you fold and lose = heart. You learn something new in this game every day.
I don't think she got a heart problem during fights. She just has no idea how to defend against strikes. She didn't fall into fetal position, she actually tried to engage Holm and got destroyed.
She does have a "heart" or mental problems terms of crying and eating too much ice cream after losing and calling retirement.
Compare with Miesha, girl got destroyed tons of times but still came back to win the belt, she didn't go on retirement when ronda broke her arm or zingano koed her.

But he kept trying. He didnt just fold mentally and get TKO'd.

I think we just have a very different idea of heart. I think of it as someone who keeps fighting even when hurt. You think of it as someone who doesnt retire immediately after suffering one pro loss.

Cool.
cool! keep dealin in absolutes :D

There was no concerted attempt to get the fight to the floor either time after she got hurt. This is the crux.
she did try to grab her,but Nunes broke free.

Penn came back from losses multiple times. Do you really not know that??
this is such a random criteria though. Why do you have to come back from losses? That is only one attribute

I don't think she got a heart problem during fights. She just has no idea how to defend against strikes. She didn't fall into fetal position, she actually tried to engage Holm and got destroyed.
She does have a "heart" or mental problems terms of crying and eating too much ice cream after losing and calling retirement.
Compare with Miesha, girl got destroyed tons of times but still came back to win the belt, she didn't go on retirement when ronda broke her arm or zingano koed her.
Could agree with all that,but also it should be noted that Miesha wasnt under the pressure Ronda was either. No camera were following her around after he loss to Nunes at the airport,and mainstream media mags werent taking shots at her. Ronda could have handled it better but she had alot of weight on her shoulders.

this is such a random criteria though. Why do you have to come back from losses? That is only one attribute
some guys come back from mulitple losses just to accomplish nothing noteworthy. And how much pressure are they under to perform?

If someone goes through their career NEVER rallying and doing ANYTHING after getting hurt, does that mean they have heart?

No, but it doesn't say they don't either. Heart isn't Ronda's problem, ego is. She could never believe that someone was better than her, so she never felt the need to adjust/improve. She's really just a spoiled brat.

The undisputed Greatest fighter of All Time Muhammad Ali ended his boxing career on a two-fight losing streak. So everything he accomplished before that was fraud? You can't really be this idiotic? You are just trolling right? Please tell me its some sick joke.
No, Ronda beat average competition and lost to top competition in her prime. Ali beat top competition and lost to average competition at retirement age.

she did try to grab her,but Nunes broke free.

One very distant, feeble attempt and done.

Man, that's some serious heart right there.

If that's heart, what isn't?? It's the point we come to again and again.

You really do seem to think that anything other than tapping to strikes as soon as you get touched = heart.

Heart is more than that.

She achieved a lot, but she surely goes down in history as more of a pioneer than an actual great fighter.

Much like 90s Royce Gracie (who either submitted you or got wasted because he could only do one thing) or early 00s Tito Ortiz (who either won via TD's & top control or got wasted because he could only do one thing), Ronda (won via judo throws or got wasted) was successful at a particular point in time, but never evolved past that.

You surely can't be considered a great fighter or an all-time great if:

A - you are so one-dimensional that once people work out how to disengage from the clinch and pop you with strikes from range, your career is effectively over because you are incapable of doing anything else at all

B - you are totally unable to come back from a loss and win another fight, because you have a heart the size of a pea and were left so devastated by that one loss, ie: having a one-dimensional mentality to match a one-dimensional skillset

For me, Ronda is the female Royce. A pioneer, but not a great fighter. Joanna Champion and Nunes and Cyborg and maybe others like Shevchenko and Waterson, this is where we should look for great female fighters with more modern and evolved MMA games.
I don't like Tito but comparing him to Ronda is an insult to Tito.

One very distant, feeble attempt and done.

Man, that's some serious heart right there.

If that's heart, what isn't?? It's the point we come to again and again.

You really do seem to think that anything other than tapping to strikes as soon as you get touched = heart.

Heart is more than that.
oh hey mr absolutes,i thought you just said there was no attempt and now there is one? :D

y'all gunna forget Miesha holds a victory in what was probably the greatest womens mma title fight and it happened this year. Why talking like these girls are years past their prime. This was six months ago.

Yeah and she got lucky. Because she was going to lose that fight and basically hit a Hail Mary

She might be female version of tank abbott. It's still fun to see some of his knockouts.

she is was and always will be royce gracie

the comparison was always pretty dead on

As soon as WMMA evolved to any acceptable level she was always going to look like shit but that doesn't mean she wasn't awesome when WMMA was terrible

7 Title defenses. Good luck doing ladies. Haters gonna hate.

oh hey mr absolutes,i thought you just said there was no attempt and now there is one? :D

I dont consider it a serious attempt. You might, I dont. A serious attempt would have been trying to push into the clinch and go for a throw, even if it meant risking taking some shots as she was losing anyway.

As I say, you seem to think anything that isnt immediately tapping out is worthy of praise. There are many ways to give up.

Penn came back from losses multiple times. Do you really not know that??

I'm a huge BJ fan, but refusing to commit to training and growth could be considered a lack of heart. Is someone had the talent to be the best ever at something, and ended up just being very good, I question their heart. Heart isn't just on work days.

Back