Ronda Rousey is not an all-time great. Not a great fighter.

Yup, like some of us have been saying for a while. WMMAs Hoyce Gracie
She achieved a lot, but she surely goes down in history as more of a pioneer than an actual great fighter.

Much like 90s Royce Gracie (who either submitted you or got wasted because he could only do one thing) or early 00s Tito Ortiz (who either won via TD's & top control or got wasted because he could only do one thing), Ronda (won via judo throws or got wasted) was successful at a particular point in time, but never evolved past that.

You surely can't be considered a great fighter or an all-time great if:

A - you are so one-dimensional that once people work out how to disengage from the clinch and pop you with strikes from range, your career is effectively over because you are incapable of doing anything else at all

B - you are totally unable to come back from a loss and win another fight, because you have a heart the size of a pea and were left so devastated by that one loss, ie: having a one-dimensional mentality to match a one-dimensional skillset

For me, Ronda is the female Royce. A pioneer, but not a great fighter. Joanna Champion and Nunes and Cyborg and maybe others like Shevchenko and Waterson, this is where we should look for great female fighters with more modern and evolved MMA games.
Sorry, I don;t buy her being a pioneer either.
Dana got the hots for her. that's all about this.

Cyborg, Gina were pioneers.

Ronda just caught the train in motion and was over-hyped by the UFC. And now exposed.

We didnt get to see her in the blood and guts war that could have defined her.

Exactly. Because she mentally checks out of fights as soon as she gets hurt. She could have given us a war vs Holm and vs Nunes if she had the heart to fight back either time, but she didn't, she got hurt and lost heart and was just hanging out in the cage waiting to get finished. There was no concerted fightback either time once she got hurt. That's why there were no wars, and she simply went down like a sunken ship both times. You're disproving yourself here. The opportunity for wars were there, she didn't take them.

Ronda just caught the train in motion and was over-hyped by the UFC. And now exposed.
I think thats unfair.

Carano left soon as she lost,and Cyborg fumbled the ball BADLY. If it werent for Rousey itd be over.

Eh? What sort of idiot could make this deduction from what I said?

I'm saying greats could come back from defeats and have success. Nothing whatsoever to do with perfection or not losing. The fuck you talking about??
The undisputed Greatest fighter of All Time Muhammad Ali ended his boxing career on a two-fight losing streak. So everything he accomplished before that was fraud? You can't really be this idiotic? You are just trolling right? Please tell me its some sick joke.

I dont doubt Ronda's heart at all. She didnt get hit and act like a coward,in fact the fact that she came back at all shows she DOES have alot of heart. Carano never came back. She was woefully unprepared for this fight,and maybe it wasnt the right thing to fight such a tough fighter on her first fight back,but heart? she definitley has that.

HAHA.

Did you just say that Ronda has "heart"?

Wow.

Exactly. Because she mentally checks out of fights as soon as she gets hurt. She could have given us a war vs Holm and vs Nunes if she had the heart to fight back either time, but she didn't, she got hurt and lost heart and was just hanging out in the cage waiting to get finished. There was no concerted fightback either time once she got hurt. That's why there were no wars, and she simply went down like a sunken ship both times. You're disproving yourself here. The opportunity for wars were there, she didn't take them.
This is where we disagree,i just dont think she had the tools she could have had. When you hear Edmond talk,you just wonder what the hell he is telling her to do when the going gets tough. I dont agree she was waiting to get finished. She is not a natural striker. her instinct when hurt is to grapple.

Eh? What sort of idiot could make this deduction from what I said?

I'm saying greats could come back from defeats and have success. Nothing whatsoever to do with perfection or not losing. The fuck you talking about??
the guy in your avatar is 1-5-1 in his last seven fights and I still consider him one of the greatest to ever to do it.

This is where we disagree,i just dont think she had the tools she could have had. When you hear Edmond talk,you just wonder what the hell he is telling her to do when the going gets tough. I dont agree she was waiting to get finished. She is not a natural striker. her instinct when hurt is to grapple.

So where were the attempts to grapple vs Holm and Nunes after she got hurt? They never came, because she was mentally torched as soon as she got touched up. A grappler with heart would have gone after the opponent, and went down in a blaze of glory while trying towards that end. Ronda didn't in either fight, she just hung out on the feet and got smoked. Again, you're disproving yourself with your comments.

And you still aren't answering the question. If a fighter who gets finished quickly every time she gets hurt and is incapable of rallying after getting hurt = heart, then what isn't heart? Please explain this.

Yes i did,she didnt have to come back. It took alot to do that.

Jesus H Christ.

So now as long as you don't retire immediately after ONE loss, you 'have heart'??

Go to bed Edmond. You're drunk and embarrassing yourself.

Not everyone has a granite chin to fall back on when their skills aren't up to the task. I don't begrudge her for that. She got finished by two very skilled strikers after eating a ton of punishment. I don't see that as some indictment on her heart/will to fight.

Honestly for most of her run Miesha was the best fighter in her division other than Ronda. And Miesha is tough, and experienced but she is not Great.. Once that division evolved to girls with actual dangerous weapons.. Ronda was fucked.

Sorry, I don;t buy her being a pioneer either.
Dana got the hots for her. that's all about this.
You're being irrational. She is undeniably a pioneer in WMMA, and other WMMA fighters say the same shit.

So where were the attempts to grapple vs Holm and Nunes after she got hurt? They never came, because she was mentally torched as soon as she got touched up. A grappler with heart would have gone after the opponent, and went down in a blaze of glory while trying towards that end. Ronda didn't in either fight, she just hung out on the feet and got smoked. Again, you're disproving yourself with your comments.

And you still aren't answering the question. If a fighter who gets finished quickly every time she gets hurt and is incapable of rallying after getting hurt = heart, then what isn't heart? Please explain this.
She was trying,just got too hurt too fast. Think what you want. Heart wasnt the problem for me.

the guy in your avatar is 1-5-1 in his last seven fights and I still consider him one of the greatest to ever to do it.

So what the fuck does that have to do with anything?

Penn lost to Pulver early in his career, then came back to be the best lightweight ever, and a multiple-weight champion.

That has no relevance to anything being discussed here.

She was trying,just got too hurt too fast. Think what you want. Heart wasnt the problem for me.

Heart wasn't the major problem, nobody said it was, but it still was a clear area of deficiency. To disregard it because she's a shit boxer is missing a key point.

Not really. He took advantage of a sport in it's infancy, and got embarrassed once the sport evolved.

I'll give him extra points for no weight classes though.

Is/was WMMA fully evolved when Ronda was facing Bethe, Davis, Tate, Carmouche etc. for the belt?

Heart wasn't the major problem, nobody said it was, but it still was a clear area of deficiency. To disregard it because she's a shit boxer is missing a key point.
I dont disregard anything. I just think she got int a hole and couldnt dig herself out. If she knew how,she would. Hendricks would have done better against Wonderboy if he knew what to do. He didnt.

Back