Ronda Rousey is just not that good

If judo only works when you get someone to the ground, and she doesn't have a ground game, aren't you saying she doesn't have a judo game?

She has a judo game as far as takedowns.

But it's obviously ineffective if she isn't using it.

But like most judokas in MMA, her ground control is pathetic compared to that of equivalent level BJJ players.

So her groundgame insofar as maintaining top control and positioning is garbage in comparison to her judo takedowns.

She has a judo game as far as takedowns.

But it's obviously ineffective if she isn't using it.

But like most judokas in MMA, her ground control is pathetic compared to that of equivalent level BJJ players.

So her groundgame insofar as maintaining top control and positioning is garbage in comparison to her judo takedowns.
She has 9 submission victories. 7 were in under a minute. She wasn't outgrappled in either loss. What more do you want?

She has 9 submission victories. 7 were in under a minute. She wasn't outgrappled in either loss. What more do you want?

She is amazing at judo throws and armbars

Nobody wants to grapple with her because of armbar fear

But as for a complete groundgame like Maia, it is not there

She started her career off at 12-0, finished all of her opponents, some of them in seconds.
Many of the people she destroyed are still highly regarded.
Soccer moms. Being highly regarded in WMMA meant very little when Ronda was champ. Even now the overall quality of WMMA fighters is the equivalent of men's high school football compared to the pros.

Her legacy will be that of bringing the women's division to the masses. The UFC saw a chance to make a lot of money and boy did it ever pay off. Part of the scheme was to have a champion. Rhonda was selected as a champion for her looks, olympic pedigree, and ability to dominate a shallow division. Her skillset, while limited was enough to get the job done and keep the hype machine rolling. What is surprising to me is how many people were fooled. Sure the casual fan or person that watches the Ellen show Isn't going to know how limited her skillset is, but Joe Rogan...he should know better.
this

Rogan is a shill and a fraud. A wannabee tough guy.

She started her career off at 12-0, finished all of her opponents, some of them in seconds.
All grapplers who cant throw a punch for shit.

Miesha yes, Zingano at a push but the rest of her record is not that impressive.

I'm not sure what fight many of you saw but from what I observed the simple crux of the matter is just that she is not very good.

Very poor distance control.

Absent groundgame.

Judo only works if you can get somebody to the ground.

And her submission game is extremely limited.

Only armbars?

LOL

Big deal.

Why so many think she is this amazing all around fighter really boggles my mind.

I guess I will watch the rest of her fights now to see why so many think she is this all time great.
Cuz she's white. Your Ivy League Med School education shoulda told you that.

Reminds me of when Chuck Liddell started facing guys who could strike back against him and he started getting KTFO'd again and again.

She's clearly done. You won't be seeing her again in 2017, mark my words.

Soccer moms. Being highly regarded in WMMA meant very little when Ronda was champ. Even now the overall quality of WMMA fighters is the equivalent of men's high school football compared to the pros.
and it will never be as good, simply because there are fewer women interested in fighting. However, is the public ever going to figure that out? Not likely. So you can put someone like Ronda on a pedestal and make claims that she will beat most men at her weight. It can never be challenged in a sanctioned fight, so shit can be talked without repercussions. If there was ever a chance this facade was going to be exposed it was 2016. But holy shit, people are still making excuses. The coaching was no good...Nunez is just that amazing...womens MMA is just evolving faster than mens (that's rich!) If you know the sport, you know how shallow the talent pool is by comparison. Its a testament to Dana's business acumen that he could make the weakest division the most followed. Brilliant marketing.

Some of us were saying this for years... WMMA is still insanely shallow which allowed Rousey to be dominant as a one trick pony. It took awhile for some strikers that could keep the fight standing to come along and challenge her.

She will be remembered as the Royce Gracie of WMMA. She was extremely skilled in one aspect of the sport which her opponents didn't have the skill set to neutralize.

Rogan calling her a once ever athlete and saying she could beat half of the men was a complete joke that made him lose nearly all credibility in my eyes.
I really think this Royce Gracie of WMMA is bad mouthing.

- Royce Gracie fought guys way heavier than him.
- Knew at least a bunch of attacks other than judo throws followed by an arm bar.
- Had to fight no-rules bouts, which makes it much more mixed than contemporary MMA.
- Back in that era they fought in tournament styles.

I really don't care for Royce Gracie, but damn man, don't take him down to Ronda's level.

I really think this Royce Gracie of WMMA is bad mouthing.

- Royce Gracie fought guys way heavier than him.
- Knew at least a bunch of attacks other than judo throws followed by an arm bar.
- Had to fight no-rules bouts, which makes it much more mixed than contemporary MMA.
- Back in that era they fought in tournament styles.

I really don't care for Royce Gracie, but damn man, don't take him down to Ronda's level.

You're taking the comparison a tad too literally. They were both dominant by relying on being exceptionally skilled with a limited tool set that their opponents had no clue how to stop. I definitely agree that Gracie's accomplishments were far more impressive and he will have the better legacy.

In Ronda's defense though I will say that her opponents at least were familiar with all of the prominent disciplines in MMA. Some of the guys Gracie was subbing had never even heard of ju-jitsu.

Back