Ronda Rousey: "If GSP Wasn't Good-Looking & Canadian He Would Be Unknown"

Status
Not open for further replies.

UptownRilla

Orange Belt
Reaction score
"I respect Georges St. Pierre as a businessman and an athlete. I don't have anything against him personally. But he's not the kind of fighter I like watching.
He fights to win matches. He doesn't fight to defeat his opponents.
I lost a lot of judo matches because of points fighters. It was extremely frustrating for me. And when I see that same style being played out in a different sport, it brings out the same reaction in me

Everybody keeps coming up to me and saying, 'Oh, do you think if you didn't look such a way, people would like you so much?' I'm like, 'Dude, if GSP was butt ugly, you wouldn't want to know who he is so much.'
I think he lucked out a lot that he's Canadian. I love Canadians. They are the coolest, nicest, most patriotic people, and they will support their countrymen no matter what, and I think that's commendable. But if GSP wasn't really good-looking, and really Canadian, he would be really unknown

I like fighters that go into it to finish it. They're not afraid to take risks, by saying, "I'm going to try to do something crazy, and if I end up in a bad position, I know I can handle it. That confidence gets me excited."

Full Article: http://www.lvrj.com/neon/ufc-s-ronda-rousey-talks-fast-hits-hard-186282872.html

ace8ad105d0211e2a4da22000a1f9253_7.jpg

If Ronda wasn't pretty and a chick, she'd be unknown.

/thread

Agree with Rousey somewhat. He's the biggest draw but his fights aren't that great. Canadians are ridiculously nationalistic.

If GSP wasn't the best WW fighter of all time then he would be unknown, I doubt his looks or being Canadian is the reason he's the best.

while being canadian and good looking certainly has a major impact on gsp's marketability, to say that those are the only reasons for his success is kinda far-fetched

in many ways she is right. if gsp was ugly and not from canada, then he would simply be an ugly fighter who has a boring/unentertaining style.....nothing special there.

I like RR but 'unknown'??? Pfft...been WW champ for how long now.

Ronda is completely wrong on this one. If GSP didnt have any looks and was American, he'd still be popular with his record.

no way, gsp was exciting once!! no point fighting when he destroyed matt hughes.

i like ronda but she is talking out of her ass.

im sure he would be unkown

if he wasnt unbeaten in ...how many years ronda?

wow , she is a huge troll.

Why does GSP average twice as many ppv buys as Anderson Silva when Anderson is more exciting and has had a more dominant run?

in many ways she is right. if gsp was ugly and not from canada, then he would simply be an ugly fighter who has a boring/unentertaining style.....nothing special there.

go back to 2006/07.. gsp was an exciting fighter.

...In the meantime...

Cyborg is on a diet cutting weight, and will destroy Ronda...

...Then what?

I agree that point fighting sucks but GSP has taken it to another level. Point fighters usually end up losing but GSP's skills are just on another level. He might not be able to finish but he has excellent technique.

And yes she is Nick's friend...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back