Ronda Rousey has never thrown a kick in a fight. She can't kick, period.

But can you name an instance where a male mixed martial artists took MMA just to lose weight, and then she gets signed to fight in the UFC, and to fight for the belt?

You can't compare men's MMA to women's MMA without ignoring a few key differences. Ronda Rousey is not fighting the best of the best, she is fighting the least best of the least best because women's MMA is relatively new.

Seriously, you need to get off the high horse.

Brock Lesnar got his title shot in his 3rd fight in the UFC with a 2-1 record, coming from Pro Wrestling and less than a year of MMA training and after close to 10 years after his last amateur wrestling match.

More recently, there was Taylor Lapilus. Played soccer and was a welder, started training MMA in 2010. Fought in UFC Fight night 69 (Berlin) on June 20, 2015. No wrestling or MMA background. After 20 years of development as a sport he was signed to fight for the UFC in the men's division.

And let's be honest here, the only reason Correia got a shot was because Rousey cleaned out most of the division, Correia had a good story line, and Correia was on a 9-0 streak.

And you should look up the backgrounds of the other contenders. Correia is really the anomaly. Tate, Zingano, Davis, Nunes, Eye, Kaufman, Holm and McMann all have histories as MMA or combat sports fighters.

The fact that correria was on a 9-0 streak should tell you all you need to know about how weak the field is.

7-0 was at the regional level. The other 2 were her first fights in the UFC.

And yes, the field is weak past the top 7 or 8 fighters, but we already knew that. That doesn't mean that Rousey has fought nothing but Correia's. The division is top heavy and not fully developed. That doesn't make every fighter the equivalent of Correia.

And if Rousey wasn't in the division, Correia would never have even gotten a shot at the title since we'd be looking at rematches of Tate-Zingano-Davis-Kaufman-McMann-(insert other contender here).

None of them dispatch their opponents so easy though, look at the fights you know your being disingenuous. Ronda's using a very limited skillset compared to the fighters you mentioned, her division is weak its obvious. Its not Ronda's fault it just is what it is.

1- Ronda is a WORLD CLASS Judoken
2- Shes knocked out a couple opponents, which indicates she has more than 1 skillset
3- Jones dispacted Shogun and Machida effortlessly, says more about the victorious fighters skill than anything else

But can you name an instance where a male mixed martial artists took MMA just to lose weight, and then she gets signed to fight in the UFC, and to fight for the belt?

Junior Dos Santos? The third ranked heavyweight in the world?

7-0 was at the regional level. The other 2 were her first fights in the UFC.

And yes, the field is weak past the top 7 or 8 fighters, but we already knew that. That doesn't mean that Rousey has fought nothing but Correia's. The division is top heavy and not fully developed. That doesn't make every fighter the equivalent of Correia.

And if Rousey wasn't in the division, Correia would never have even gotten a shot at the title since we'd be looking at rematches of Tate-Zingano-Davis-Kaufman-McMann-(insert other contender here).

You are impressed with 8 women's bantamweight's. Oh man. Mma fans today.hahaa!

I'm not ignoring it, im looking at the techniques utilized by the fighters you mentioned compared to Ronda.

Ronda is nowhere near GSP, Silva, Werdum's skill level, its obvious to anyone who has trained or watched fights.

Ronda is the best female fighter in the world and I love watching her fight, but her division is weak and that isn't her fault. If you want to compare the skill it took Werdum to take out Cain to Ronda taking out Bethe, well you either are a fanboy or don't know what you are watching.

The fact that you just compared Correia, by far the weakest challenger in recent memory in any division, to Cain lets me know that it's no longer worth my time to respond to you in regards to this argument. We do agree she's the best WMMA fighter in the world. We do agree she's not at the skill level of the ATG's like Silva and GSP, but she's taking what she's offered and making it look comical. She can't really do much better with the hand dealt her, I mean she's firing on all cylinders right now. She can't help the fact that she's so far in front of the pack, but best believe she will be a tremendous catalyst for the pack to improve in the near future and in generations to come. She's gonna be talked about forever in women's athletics, such is her impact. She's basically the Fedor of WMMA right now: a phenomenal champion in a growing phase of the sport.

So you think that ronda's opponents are as skilled as machida and shogun? Im not getting goated into this because I like Ronda, but comparing her opponents to jon jones opponents is retarded. LOOK AT THE FIGHTS, WATCH THEM, if you can't see the difference in skill used in a Ronda fight compared to Jon Jones I can't help you. Just because jon jones dispatched his opponents and ronda also does, it does not mean she is of the same skill.

Ronda is great but she is the quintessential big fish in a small pond, her skill level is no were near any of the male champions and barely as good as some of the lower tier male fighters.

Im done now i don't want to come across as a hater, just stating things that should be obvious to people who actually have martial arts experience.

Who were you banned as before?

Dude, it's just that I wasn't aware Ronda Rousey could kick because I've never seen her kick, honestly.

Then why didn't you have "I'm a FOX Noob who needs catching up" in your thread title to reflect reality, instead of coming up with this ridiculous idea that everything you don't know actually do not exists?

This thread gave me lots of laughs. Sherdog is full of piranhas:D The funniest bits are the people taking this thread serious.

You are impressed with 8 women's bantamweight's. Oh man. Mma fans today.hahaa!

It's not much worse than the early years of MMA. Early UFC tended to be top heavy without a very deep field. You had the "elite" fighters in the top 5 or 10 and lots of guys that simply were card fodder. Now the field is deep enough that the fodder is mostly at either the bottom of the roster or fighting in 2nd tier and regional promotions.

The first sanctioned WMMA match was in 2006. So you're talking 9 years since it was even legal to hold a match.

Rousey started training in 2010 and was inspired by Carano. We're currently looking at the 2nd generation of fighters (inspired by Carano) which would be more comparable to circa 1995-2000 MMA. The difference is that the men had a stronger ready made pool of amateur combat sports than the women given the difference in the strength of wrestling programs between men and women in the US and the lack of incentive for women in Judo, MT and Boxing to transition into MMA.

The next 2-5 years we'll see the influx of the 3rd generation of fighters (inspired by Rousey, Tate, etc) which I expect to be a significantly higher caliber of fighters given we're looking at the 3rd generation of women amateur wrestlers at the Olympic level (4th Olympics) and the number of women Judoka, BJJ practitioners, Boxers and Muay Thai practitioners who are considering transitioning into women's MMA given the success of Rousey.

We're also starting to see more serious fighters from TMA backgrounds entering WMMA but they haven't gotten to the UFC level yet.

For example, look at Angela Lee in ONE Championship.

She's 3-0 as an amateur and 1-0 as a pro, but she's a lifelong practitioner of TMA and MMA. Her father was a MMA fighter. She's competed and won 2 international Pangration championships, was a Hawaii state wrestling champion, and holds an amateur strawweight title. She's trained and competed in Judo, Boxing, Wrestling, submission grappling and BJJ (Brown belt).

She's 19 years old.

She's the type of fighter that is currently taking baby steps into the professional ranks. Her and others like her represent the future of the sport, but they will only continue to grow and develop as long as the UFC provides a legitimate option for them as a career.

If you remove WMMA from the UFC, then you essentially relegate them to regional shows and the better talent will look to other career options and complaints of weak divisions and lack of depth in talent becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

This thread gave me lots of laughs. Sherdog is full of piranhas:D The funniest bits are the people taking this thread serious.

Dude, I meant this thread to be serious. I am not aware of Ronda ever kicking in an MMA fight, and after seeing that lousy jump for her Reebok commercial, I just don't think she is as nimble on the feet as most people make her out to be.

Let's be honest, with her base being judo, her stance is going to be that of a heavy-footed person. This is why she mainly relies on boxing. Her judo training has allowed her to form a good base to throw punches.

However, she is not athletic in the sense that she has excellent footwork that allows her to throw great combinations.

I don't see why people compare her to Mayweather, or other boxers because Ronda is not at that level. It's really sad, honestly.

First off TS, it's really childish to mention periods in the title of a WMMA thread. Very poor taste, even as a troll you're better than that.

Secondly Ronda doesn't need to kick and is clearly not one dimentional as she had good grappling, submissions and (by WMMA standards) is not a terrible puncher. She hits hard and doesn't flail about like some others at the very least.

Dude, I meant this thread to be serious.
wpid-dcfca269bc660747e6107ea7d1a3542a420733062f0e1adf227ddcc0690e7961.jpg

I don't see why people compare her to Mayweather, or other boxers because Ronda is not at that level. It's really sad, honestly.
What's sad is you not understanding the context of the comparison, and then starting a crusade agsint your misinterpretation. Nobody's saying she's as skilled as Mayweather. They compare her to dominant champions because she is a dominant champion. She has also brought in a lot of new fans, so some of her defenders aren't armed with the experience in the sport to argue effectively.

So you think that ronda's opponents are as skilled as machida and shogun? Im not getting goated into this because I like Ronda, but comparing her opponents to jon jones opponents is retarded. LOOK AT THE FIGHTS, WATCH THEM, if you can't see the difference in skill used in a Ronda fight compared to Jon Jones I can't help you. Just because jon jones dispatched his opponents and ronda also does, it does not mean she is of the same skill.

Ronda is great but she is the quintessential big fish in a small pond, her skill level is no were near any of the male champions and barely as good as some of the lower tier male fighters.

Im done now i don't want to come across as a hater, just stating things that should be obvious to people who actually have martial arts experience.

Having plenty of martial art experience myself, I can tell for sure that this post is just unfounded HOGWASH...

First off TS, it's really childish to mention periods in the title of a WMMA thread. Very poor taste, even as a troll you're better than that.

Secondly Ronda doesn't need to kick and is clearly not one dimentional as she had good grappling, submissions and (by WMMA standards) is not a terrible puncher. She hits hard and doesn't flail about like some others at the very least.

Yeah, I don't know what period you are referring, but I meant the period used to make a bold and definitive statement.

Thank you.

Also, that's what I'm getting at with Ronda Rousey, she has not evolved, and she is going to get Silva'd by a more well-rounded fighter. Weidman starched Silva because he did not evolve.

Same thing will happen to Ronda Rousey because she doesn't need to kick, or do anything else besides bum rush opponents, eat a few punches, then use judo for the win.

The fact that the WMMA UFC division is so weak, should give Ronda ample amount of time to evolve, and bring in more skills to her fights. Yet, all Ronda Rousey does is use judo, and eat punches while rushing opponents, and the UFC portrays her as if she is on the same level as GSP. Ridiculous.

Yeah, I don't know what period you are referring, but I meant the period used to make a bold and definitive statement.

Thank you.

Also, that's what I'm getting at with Ronda Rousey, she has not evolved, and she is going to get Silva'd by a more well-rounded fighter. Weidman starched Silva because he did not evolve.

Same thing will happen to Ronda Rousey because she doesn't need to kick, or do anything else besides bum rush opponents, eat a few punches, then use judo for the win.

The fact that the WMMA UFC division is so weak, should give Ronda ample amount of time to evolve, and bring in more skills to her fights. Yet, all Ronda Rousey does is use judo, and eat punches while rushing opponents, and the UFC portrays her as if she is on the same level as GSP. Ridiculous.

Has not evolved...? You are insane. Ronda of today would humiliate Ronda from 2 years ago. She knows how to use a whizzer effectively which is not used as much in the gi world. She had to get used to facing opponents without a gi and is getting better and better at it. Her striking might not be the best out there but it is 1000% better than it was when she started MMA.

She is improving faster than the other women.

This shows a little of her improvements. She is not standing still, she is getting better and better. Everyone has bad habits but Ronda has fewer of them than she used to. She is learning how to adapt to other fighters and think on her feet outside of judo.

To say she is not evolving is stupid.

A couple of places they will mention the difference between old Ronda and new Ronda.

Last edited:

Thank you.

Dude, did you know Ronda ko's Correia and Davis with punches and McMann with a body knee? There are no punches or knees allowed in judo.

Your claim is absurd, your thread us shit, and everyone is calling you out.

You're right Ronda is becoming too one dimensional, she's relying too much on the knockout. I mean, she has 2 KO's in her last 3 fights, she really needs to mix it up more. MMA is so much more than just knocking bitches out.

She should train the clinch more, maybe develop some throws, and definitely needs to work on her ground game, develop some transitions and sub game sucks, need to ratchet that shit up

Come on Ronda don't be a DNB

i approve this post

-thedonald

Back