Ronda making it big is annoying

I am no music buff but i thought musicians were graded by the masses...Either ppl like them or they don't.
Sounds like a pretty fair system.
Play music I like..i will buy /listen to your stuff.
Don't make stuff I like and I won't.
Not sure how being male of female affects most ppls decisions to like art.
But that from my perspective. Can't comment on how other ppl think.

I do understand what your a saying though in terms of technical skill with instruments but like i said above, with art you either like it or not.

If someone is technically better on a instrument it doesn't really matter if you don't like what they are playing.

yeah, i agree with this. i don't think i've ever heard anyone talk about a female musician the way they do with steve vai or whatever other corn ball guitar hero comes up in discussion.

So you expect MMA to become mainstream because people should just like technical fighting? Good thing you're not President of UFC.

Don't hate the playa, hate the game. Ronda is doing all that she can with a kiddie pool of a division. Not her fault they can barely last 30 seconds with her.

Lol, the playa came up wit dat saying, because the game he was playing will end up getting his worthless ass killed. SO go ahead and kill the playa and then there will be no fucking game to play.

yeah, i agree with this. i don't think i've ever heard anyone talk about a female musician the way they do with steve vai or whatever other corn ball guitar hero comes up in discussion.
Probably because their are no female rock guitarists that are remotely in the same realm as a Vai, let along an Eric Johnson or Guthrie Govan (two name two insane guitarists who aren't as "corn ball" as Vai.) The closest I can think of who is a legitimate great top 1% guitarist

Just to add: the only thing that really makes me salty is when people try and claim a female is the equal of a male in either musicianship or fighting when it is clearly not the case. It's the denial of reality which chaps my ass. I accept and understand why the women have more fame and money than guys who are technically better, but don't shit on the guys' skills to try and make a case that doesn't need to be made.

Ronda Rousey is an olympic medalist in Judo. Her technical skills are beyond any male in the UFC. Also, no one gives a shit about technical guitar players except technical guitar players. It's no different than a bunch of 15 years olds trying to see who can bench the most in the weight room. The only people that care are people doing the same thing. Now if you don't care about money that much, you might be fine playing in some jazz quartet where 99% of the guys can't make a living. Does the average non musician have time to dedicate to understanding complex syncopations and chord progressions? No, but if you're like us (musicians/martial artists), you take your knowledge for granted and assume everyone can or wants to understand it. I'm sure Olympic Curling is a fine sport but I don't have the time or interest to care. I'm guessing there are a lot of curlers up in Canada that bitch about people like me who hold the popularity of their sport back.

Being a Ronda fan is the best thing ever because of the tears of people like TS

Wish it were Gina.

Too much playing dumb in terms of Ronda for my liking. Too much pretend.

Only in a perfect world. Ronda could've helped start things and Gina would be the one getting the attention now. Hell, if I heard rogan call Gina a once in a lifetime human being, I'd probably break down and cry, and agree with him.

Wish it were Gina.

Too much playing dumb in terms of Ronda for my liking. Too much pretend.

The thing is, Gina was a girl who picked up kickboxing to lose some weight.

Ronda was raised from birth by a world class fighter to be a world class fighter.

The only problem with Ronda is that she's too good and doesn't have enough competition.

If TS had a problem with Rondas popularity, I can't quite fathom how he seems to accept McGregor. People who are skilled at marketig marketing themselves or who fills a certan marketing niche will get more attention with those who don't. I'd prefer MMA to be sligthly more sports oriented myself, but this applies to a wide range of fighters to different degrees. It's not just Ronda. It's not just McGregor. It's every single popular fighter vs every single unpopular one.

Probably because their are no female rock guitarists that are remotely in the same realm as a Vai, let along an Eric Johnson or Guthrie Govan (two name two insane guitarists who aren't as "corn ball" as Vai.) The closest I can think of who is a legitimate great top 1% guitarist—male or female—is Jess Lewis.

I'm speaking more in the rock/jazz/blues realm here, not classical, where the females truly are the equals of their male counterparts. Rock/jazz/blues playing requires a lot of hand strength compared to classical. In this the fighting comparison is apt, because guitar playing is a very physical pursuit.

i agree with the guy who points out that no one gives a shit about technical guitar players aside from technical guitar players. fuck that cornball shit.

All you gotta do is not pay attention to the thing that annoys you.

It won't annoy you any more because you won't know it's happening.

Simple.

Some of us aren't content with the "ignorance is bliss" way of life.

First of all this is not to take away from Ronda and her skills. She is obviously talented. Now with that being said, given all the great fighters and champions that have come before her it is annoying to see that she is being given so much hype and media attention mainly because she is a woman. Yea I said it, it's because she is a woman and she is marketable because she is a woman. Not being sexist but not even the great GSP was not given the same amount mainstream attention. She even gets more PR than Conor now. Just goes to show how mma is viewed by the masses, she is a novelty item and most ppl who know who she is can't tell you another UFC champions name. It's annoying that she enjoys the mainstream success that pioneers such as Evan Tanner, Randy Couture, BJ Penn, Tim Sylvia, Chuck Liddell and Matt Hughes never saw while they had way tougher competition and did it for considerably less money.

You're right, TS. She's only getting this much fame and notoriety because she's a female. Her abilities and achievements are grossly overexaggerated.

Her brand is money.

She's a perfect storm at the perfect time in history.

The UFC is smart to be promoting the fuck out of her.

She's gonna help elevate the sport to new heights.

this. I have no problem with it. there will end up being a trickle down effect for the other fighters so it's a good thing, man.

I just wish they would do wmma cards so I can skip them. That's great to give the girls a paycheck and let them figh . Just don't shoe horn into the real fights.

Ronda just got 800-1million people to pay to watch those other guys fight. That's 900k more than a mighty mouse ppv.

If I were an mma fighter I would love being on a Ronda card.

Don't rustle the feminists. They fought really hard for quota based jobs and undeserved attention.

On topic: the bullies on bully beat down are better fighters than anyone Ronda has faced.

i agree with the guy who points out that no one gives a shit about technical guitar players aside from technical guitar players. fuck that cornball shit.

It's okay, technical music is not for the simple listener. No one will hold that against you.

It's okay, technical music is not for the simple listener. No one will hold that against you.

technical music and guitar hero cornball technical music are two different things. the latter is gratuitous, self-indulgent, and onanistic.

You're right, TS. She's only getting this much fame and notoriety because she's a female. Her abilities and achievements are grossly overexaggerated.

That's an oversimplification.

Conor isn't becoming famous simply because he's Irish, or simply because he knocks people out. Conor has those advantages but also is able to parlay his charisma into popularity.

Some posters dislike Rousey's personality and trash talk and like to assume it's all about her being a woman or somewhat attractive, but her personality and ability to trash talk, interview well, and produce perfectly sized sound bites are also integral parts to her ability to enter and remain in the limelight.

There are multiple components to Rousey's fame, and like any true crossover star from any discipline it goes beyond purely athletic or physical attributes, it includes things like charisma, memorability, and how well she relates to various demographics.

(Puts on marketing hat)

If you were to question 10 people on why they find an athlete like Rousey fascinating, you might get 10 different answers.

Some might say her dominance, or her trailblazer status in MMA, or the juxtaposition of a woman in a traditionally male dominated sport, others might note her physical attractiveness, her ability to talk trash, the content of her interviews, her positions on issues like body image, her unusual juxtaposition of femininity and masculinity as a woman who fights for a living, her battles with bulimia, her difficult childhood in coping with the death of her father, her accomplishments as an Olympian, that she's a world class Judoka, etc, etc, etc.

If you see what I'm getting at, it's that popularity across this broad of a spectrum is usually and typically complicated. Large groups of people can rarely agree on anything, so it usually take a very unusual human being who can tick a large number of boxes to really have broad cross-cultural appeal.

It's like the old saying... being all things to all men. Rousey is able to represent and symbolize any number of things to any number of people and in that comes the unique position to translate that into wide scale relevance.

To try to simply say it's just "because she's a woman" is both simplistic, and quite frankly condescending. Rousey has a large base of fans both male and female, old and young, among MMA fans and the casual, American and international.

Why do people find Rousey fascinating? The answer will depend completely on who you ask.

Unlike other fighters, Ronda has always understood the entertainment part of being a professional fighter and has utilized her assets into becoming a brand and not just a fighter. Other fighters who aren't women have assets they could also leverage, as we see with Conor, but they don't do so.

Don't blame the player, blame everyone else who doesn't know the game.

Back