Ronda making it big is annoying

mh1I7LM.png

I could do without the Taichi Panda commercial every break.

First of all this is not to take away from Ronda and her skills. She is obviously talented. Now with that being said, given all the great fighters and champions that have come before her it is annoying to see that she is being given so much hype and media attention mainly because she is a woman. Yea I said it, it's because she is a woman and she is marketable because she is a woman. Not being sexist but not even the great GSP was not given the same amount mainstream attention. She even gets more PR than Conor now. Just goes to show how mma is viewed by the masses, she is a novelty item and most ppl who know who she is can't tell you another UFC champions name. It's annoying that she enjoys the mainstream success that pioneers such as Evan Tanner, Randy Couture, BJ Penn, Tim Sylvia, Chuck Liddell and Matt Hughes never saw while they had way tougher competition and did it for considerably less money.

This might come as a shock to you but half the ppl on this planet are women.
They are also consumers.
So you technically your comments about her getting attention for being a women is correct but not for the reasons you thought. She is a legit business investment. She was not handed anything out of charity or given special treatment.
She earned the respect on her own and made her self.
It makes no difference that male athletes of the same level are greater then females. It's about inspiring people and being the best you can be with your limitations.

No one shits on Pac or Floyd for being so popular when they would be killed by Klitchko in a boxing match. It's just the way it is.

I like watching her fight but she's as annoying as fuck in those Metro PCS commercials.

All you gotta do is not pay attention to the thing that annoys you.

It won't annoy you any more because you won't know it's happening.

Simple.

Kind of like when you put certain sherdoggers on ignore because they shoot down the ridiculous points you make and you only like to live in a world where you're the shining knight of wisdom

Her brand is money.

She's a perfect storm at the perfect time in history.

The UFC is smart to be promoting the fuck out of her.

She's gonna help elevate the sport to new heights.

yeah, and along the way it'll be more fun for a guy if he doesn't get all upset about her success and growing popularity.

I see this all time in the music business. Female musicians are graded on a curve. A widely acclaimed "awesome" female guitarist is rarely better than your average small town male guitarist who schleps around in a cover band on the weekend. It's the novelty of the thing.

I do miss the Conor threads.

No wait, actually I don't.

I just wish they would do wmma cards so I can skip them. That's great to give the girls a paycheck and let them figh . Just don't shoe horn into the real fights.

I just wish they would do wmma cards so I can skip them. That's great to give the girls a paycheck and let them figh . Just don't shoe horn into the real fights.

Like the WNBA :) but no we can't say that cuz it's sexist.

Don't hate the playa, hate the game. Ronda is doing all that she can with a kiddie pool of a division. Not her fault they can barely last 30 seconds with her.

I see this all time in the music business. Female musicians are graded on a curve. A widely acclaimed "awesome" female guitarist is rarely better than your average small town male guitarist who schleps around in a cover band on the weekend. It's the novelty of the thing.

I am no music buff but i thought musicians were graded by the masses...Either ppl like them or they don't.
Sounds like a pretty fair system.
Play music I like..i will buy /listen to your stuff.
Don't make stuff I like and I won't.
Not sure how being male of female affects most ppls decisions to like art.
But that from my perspective. Can't comment on how other ppl think.

I do understand what your a saying though in terms of technical skill with instruments but like i said above, with art you either like it or not.

If someone is technically better on a instrument it doesn't really matter if you don't like what they are playing.

This is true, but there's also some pressing standards on women. It's usually not enough to just be good at something, they have to be good looking as well for people to care with only a handful of exceptions. That's not the same for men.

There's pros/cons to being a woman in the entertainment world.

As an Australian i wish Orianthi stuck around longer. She could shred.
Michael Jackson dying just before the tour didn't help.

But you're right. Rondas biggest challenge will be to keep the hot streak riding along.
You could get a case of overexposure but that's not happening any time soon.

Don't hate the playa, hate the game. Ronda is doing all that she can with a kiddie pool of a division. Not her fault they can barely last 30 seconds with her.

The iron is hot and she is striking the shit out of it. Nothing wrong with that.

I am no music buff but i thought musicians were graded by the masses...Either ppl like them or they don't.
Sounds like a pretty fair system.
Play music I like..i will buy /listen to your stuff.
Don't make stuff I like and I won't.
Not sure how being male of female affects most ppls decisions to like art.
But that from my perspective. Can't comment on how other ppl think.

I do understand what your a saying though in terms of technical skill with instruments but like i said above, with art you either like it or not.

If someone is technically better on a instrument it doesn't really matter if you don't like what they are playing.
Yeah, I'm speaking purely in technical terms. It's also a supply and demand thing. The supply of female guitarists is low, so that inflates their value relative to the guys. It's the same thing with Rousey in the fight game.

I'm not too awful salty about it

First of all this is not to take away from Ronda and her skills. She is obviously talented. Now with that being said, given all the great fighters and champions that have come before her it is annoying to see that she is being given so much hype and media attention mainly because she is a woman. Yea I said it, it's because she is a woman and she is marketable because she is a woman. Not being sexist but not even the great GSP was not given the same amount mainstream attention. She even gets more PR than Conor now. Just goes to show how mma is viewed by the masses, she is a novelty item and most ppl who know who she is can't tell you another UFC champions name. It's annoying that she enjoys the mainstream success that pioneers such as Evan Tanner, Randy Couture, BJ Penn, Tim Sylvia, Chuck Liddell and Matt Hughes never saw while they had way tougher competition and did it for considerably less money.

Now you know how the old farts like me felt when the Tuf fans turned up.

its not her fault. Also she is entertaining.

Same thing with Connor, he is skilled but he doesn't deserve to earn more than his counterparts. Anyway i'd do the same if that can bring millions to my account. They are marketeable, Ronda cause she is a woman who can actually fight and Connor cause he is a KO machine who loves to talk trash

Yeah, I'm speaking purely in technical terms. It's also a supply and demand thing. The supply of female guitarists is low, so that inflates their value relative to the guys. It's the same thing with Rousey in the fight game.

I'm not too awful salty about it

Back