Ronda is a product of the UFC

Nobody outside of MMA fans knew who she was in that movie. she is equivalent to a C-lister

she was a star before SF, with Amercian Gladiators,

funny how she hasn't had an MMA in years and is still making all that bread

Just like the long line of female champions who came before her in the UFC...

I am impressed that different groups believe the UFC makes no stars and others believe all stars are just ufc marketing.

it's not UFC marketing, it's UFC brand. Without UFC brand you cannot become a world wide star. Fedor is a great example, not a major star, virtually unknown outside of MMA circles, if he made his run in UFC dude would be a bigger star than GSP

It's like saying a soccer player can become a world wide star in MLS or a football player can become a star in CFL or a basketball player can become a star in some euro league

I have been a fan since her SF days.

UFC had nothing to do with it.

it's not UFC marketing, it's UFC brand. Without UFC brand you cannot become a world wide star. Fedor is a great example, not a major star, virtually unknown outside of MMA circles, if he made his run in UFC dude would be a bigger star than GSP

It's like saying a soccer player can become a world wide star in MLS or a football player can become a star in CFL or a basketball player can become a star in some euro league

The ufc stage does make a big difference. They do give the opportunity but Ronda and her people have managed it great.

you are only proving my point. Casual appeal would be massively limited and she would never be a major star. UFC made her the star that she is.

Name one fighter that didn't become huge because of Ufc OR Pride Fc's work. Would there be Chuck's Tito's, Silva's, Rampage's without the right platform? Or is this just one of those "yeah it's obvious" threads?

The ufc stage does make a big difference. They do give the opportunity but Ronda and her people have managed it great.

not a big difference, THE difference. I'd say UFC is about 80% of it, looks 19%, and 1% to miscellaneous

Saying this is just meaningless. Yes, in order to be a star you need a venue where people can actually watch you. You can't be a "star" on YouTube without YouTube. You can't be a star musician playing in your garage. Saying that as a means to diminish the person is pointless, because there tons and tons of fighters in the UFC that are NOT stars. If creating a star was as easy as the UFC pushing them then they wouldn't pay fighters anything because they dictate when and where stars appear. The reality is they don't, and all they can do is put their best foot forward to promote people who they think could thrive with the promotion.

The UFC's job is basically to recognize star power and give those fighters a venue to be seen.

Name one fighter that didn't become huge because of Ufc OR Pride Fc's work. Would there be Chuck's Tito's, Silva's, Rampage's without the right platform? Or is this just one of those "yeah it's obvious" threads?

you would think it's obvious but it's not, the responses in this thread are proof enough

Saying this is just meaningless. Yes, in order to be a star you need a venue where people can actually watch you. You can't be a "star" on YouTube without YouTube. You can't be a star musician playing in your garage. Saying that as a means to diminish the person is pointless, because there tons and tons of fighters in the UFC that are NOT stars. If creating a star was as easy as the UFC pushing them then they wouldn't pay fighters anything because they dictate when and where stars appear. The reality is they don't, and all they can do is put their best foot forward to promote people who they think could thrive with the promotion.

The UFC's job is basically to recognize star power and give those fighters a venue to be seen.

terrible example with youtube, a better example would be whatever the top record compoany is. Youtube and independent labels would be the equivalent of strikeforce and WSOF. And many musicians have proven you can become a worldwide star without a major label. Ronda could never become an A-lister without UFC, she is a product of the UFC

not a big difference, THE difference. I'd say UFC is about 80% of it, looks 19%, and 1% to miscellaneous

It is not "the ufc." It is what you do with it. If Ronda was grinding out wins like Tate she wouldn't be talked about on SportsCenter.

of course, never said it wasn't, just addressing the numerous threads and white knights who claim she is a self-made success

Show me these threads

Mayweather fans are so bitter, they know RRR would destroy Money as would GGG

Show me these threads

1 google search, there are tons more:

http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f2/ronda-rousey-view-2964889/index7.html

Damn straight. It's difficult to stomach these fools that say that Ronda is a creation of the "UFC marketing machine". It's the exact opposite. She was already wildly popular before she got to the UFC and now she does more for the UFC than the UFC could ever do for her. Their marketing reach doesn't extend beyond their traditional fan base and target demo, while she's becoming a mainstream global phenom.

Ronda Rousey is not the creation of the "UFC marketing machine". Ronda Rousey is the creation of Ronda Rousey.

She is truly a self-made woman. (UFC was just at the right place at the right time to sign her and reap the benefits).

Wrong.............

So UFC made Gina Carano the huge star she is today then???

and Ronda was doing well enough in SF, the UFC just help propel her to the next level

she's made herself a Movie star and the UFC's MVP

bye Ronda Hater

Rousey was a star before the UFC. All the UFC's next level has been is having her fight a bunch of opponents that make her look good, save for that lesbian chick that looks like that little Uriah guy.

I guess that is next level? *shrugs*

Back