Economy Ron Paul: It's A Shame (And Not An Accident) That Many Want To Believe In Something-For-Nothing

Oh I understand , that's why I qualified my first post. Fact remains that outside of the mythical " social contract " that ive never seen nor signed , its not consensual and enacted by force......or the threat of anyway
Yeah. They may show up at your house and demand you pay your dues. But they use the same tactics to ensure that the dollar retains its value.

I don't know of any country club that will send a goon squad to your house at 3 A.M to shoot you and your dog in the face if you refuse to pay your dues. Youd have a point if being dumped over the border was the penalty for tax evasion . It's the transfer of money from one party to the next administered with the implication of force.

Save a dog ! Pay your taxes ! Problem solved

Should the government come into your home and make sure you are eating/drinking? Starvation is really bad, therefore it should be the govenrnment's responsibility to make sure you put food and water into your body. Otherwise, people might die from not eating and drinking, right?

sQH2GUp.gif

Anyone that is against 'something for nothing' and not completely in favor of a 100% inheritance tax is a hypocrite of the highest order.

I am OK with playing the 'You don't get something for nothing' game........if everyone plays.

That would mean every company that produces anything must capture and store 100% of the emissions and waste resulting from said production. Why should they get to pollute our air and our water to make a profit on their shit. That is getting something for nothing.

This. Paul is against 'something for nothing' for poor people Im sure. Which is really just poor people who work who want fair compensation.

But Im sure he has no problem with people gifting their kids large 'somethings for nothing'.

This. Paul is against 'something for nothing' for poor people Im sure. Which is really just poor people who work who want fair compensation.

But Im sure he has no problem with people gifting their kids large 'somethings for nothing'.

Yeah, it’s their money n they decide what to do with it...

How is bequething ones earned rescources as one sees fit equivalent at all to having a 3rd party intercede and do it by force?

Buncha poor fucks itt. Don't have an issue with poor fucks by the way , but maybe try to step outside of the " how does this benefit me " bubble for 2 seconds.

Interesting how it's always people about 2 rungs up the ladder who" make too much" . To a burger flipper making 18k a year the guy making 100k has more than he needs , to the guy making 100k its the Doctor making a half mil.ECT ECT

Dr. Paul is conveniently ignoring all of the something for nothing that is basically screwing the working class.

As pointed out in this thread - Dr. Paul seems fine with property title enforced by the state. Trademark laws, copyright laws that give companies economic protection from competition for nothing. He's ignoring that the U.S. government pays for residencies that produce our doctors (like himself): something for nothing.

The list of things that we give away to corporations and limited industries for nothing doesn't seem to generate the same open concern as the potential list of things that we could give to actual people.

How is bequething ones earned rescources as one sees fit equivalent at all to having a 3rd party intercede and do it by force?

Because its the third party who lets you bequeath a large 'something for nothing'. Do you think if those people lived in Somalia they would be able to 'bequeath' large gifts to their kids for absolutely nothing?

Buncha poor fucks itt. Don't have an issue with poor fucks by the way , but maybe try to step outside of the " how does this benefit me " bubble for 2 seconds.

Why? Arent the rich basically thinking 'how does this benefit me' when they lobby to get rid of inheritance taxes?

Why is it that the poor have to suck it up and accept it but the rich have the luxury of being selfish, especially when being selfish would benefit the poor more? Seems rather illogical no?

Interesting how it's always people about 2 rungs up the ladder who" make too much" . To a burger flipper making 18k a year the guy making 100k has more than he needs , to the guy making 100k its the Doctor making a half mil.ECT ECT

Burger flipper? I though everyone was a barista to you nut huggers?

If everyone in society thinks everyone else makes too much, maybe there is something to it besides petty envy?

The left is crazy on social issues, but I don't think they're off on economic ones. It feels like he's throwing them both together so he can use the social issues to dismiss the economic ones too. They're a little exaggerated in what they're proposing. 70% tax on 10M+ income? Maybe not, 50% or 60% would be a benefit. 15$ minimum wage? Too far, but decent minimum wage is the norm in all other western countries. The idea isn't wrong. You don't get to use trannies and identity politics to dismiss economic common sense.

Because its the third party who lets you bequeath a large 'something for nothing'. Do you think if those people lived in Somalia they would be able to 'bequeath' large gifts to their kids for absolutely nothing?

Why? Arent the rich basically thinking 'how does this benefit me' when they lobby to get rid of inheritance taxes?

Why is it that the poor have to suck it up and accept it but the rich have the luxury of being selfish, especially when being selfish would benefit the poor more? Seems rather illogical no?

Burger flipper? I though everyone was a barista to you nut huggers?

If everyone in society thinks everyone else makes too much, maybe there is something to it besides petty envy?

My father was an electrician , my mother a 12 dollar an hour book keeper / office worker. My wife's father was a public school teacher and her mom a nurse.

She's in IT and works her butt off , I've got a sole proprietorship/ small business. We've been diligent savers and own a pretty large home and a rental , our net worth is slightly north of a million at a few years from 40. We are are comfortable but not rich and I feel fine saying Fuck you if you feel entitled to a slice of that as opposed to my children because you habitually make fuck tard knuckle dragger choices and don't have a pot to piss in. Be better and you won't have to take from others.

Jealousy is a perfectly and petty human emotion and doesn't indicate shit other than a biological drive to covet resources for preservation of self.

Last edited by a moderator:
The left is crazy on social issues, but I don't think they're off on economic ones. It feels like he's throwing them both together so he can use the social issues to dismiss the economic ones too. They're a little exaggerated in what they're proposing. 70% tax on 10M+ income? Maybe not, 50% or 60% would be a benefit. 15$ minimum wage? Too far, but decent minimum wage is the norm in all other western countries. The idea isn't wrong. You don't get to use trannies and identity politics to dismiss economic common sense.
The left should just focus on those issues instead of the more radical social issues that turn off ordinary Americans. There's a time and place for those social issues and its not all the time and everywhere.

My father was and electrician , my mother a 12 dollar an hour book keeper / office worker. My wife's father was a public school teacher and her mom a nurse.

She's in IT and works her butt off , I've got a sole proprietorship/ small business. We've been diligent savers and own a pretty large home and a rental , our net worth is slightly north of a million at a few years from 40. We are are comfortable but not rich and I feel fine saying Fuck you if you feel entitled to a slice of that as opposed to my children because you habitually make fuck tard knuckle dragger choices and don't have a pit to piss in. Be better and you won't have to take from others.

Jealousy is a perfectly and petty human emotion and doesn't indicate shit other than a biological drive to covet resources for preservation of self.
Its fine for people to pass their wealth on to their kids but its still a form of something for nothing. The point in bringing up inheritance is that something for nothing is not inherently bad as it isn't in the case of inheritance.

Its fine for people to pass their wealth on to their kids but its still a form of something for nothing. The point in bringing up inheritance is that something for nothing is not inherently bad as it isn't in the case of inheritance.

So a person's wishes concerning their rightfully and presumably honestly acquired property don't rate at all? You choose of your own volition whether or not your money goes to your children. Good genes are " something for nothing " too aren't they ? Why don't we figure out a way to redistribute that against an individuals will as well?

Finding 20 bucks on a sidewalk ( something for nothing ) would be different than taking 20 bucks from some random schmoe at gunpoint .....no ? I don't see how the scenarios relate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its fine for people to pass their wealth on to their kids but its still a form of something for nothing.

Kids have roles and responsibilities within a family. Same as a spouse. If a spouse never works and the breadwinner dies then the inheritance is "something for nothing"? That doesn't seem right. Earnings, in my view, belong to the entire family.

Except we actually have social scientists who have approached the question via that discipline, using empirical data to conclude that the financial satiation point for human happiness (in the US) is about 105K. A previous, 2010 Princeton study places the figure at 86K (in today's dollars).

This is the non-subjective ballpark we need to be honing in on when confronting income inequality and debating the "how much is enough" question.

Kids have roles and responsibilities within a family. Same as a spouse. If a spouse never works and the breadwinner dies then the inheritance is "something for nothing"? That doesn't seem right. Earnings, in my view, belong to the entire family.
I agree, but wanted to point out that a similar argument can be made for the poor working class. The economy would be crippled without anybody to do the shit jobs we all rely on. And of course caring for the most vulnerable who can't work for themselves is a must for a healthy community. So, imo, neither inheritance nor government assistance are a case of something for nothing.

So a person's wishes concerning their rightfully and presumably honestly acquired property don't rate at all? You choose of your own volition whether or not your money goes to your children. Good genes are " something for nothing " too aren't they ? Why don't we figure out a way to redistribute that against an individuals will as well?

Finding 20 bucks on a sidewalk ( something for nothing ) would be different than taking 20 bucks from some random schmoe at gunpoint .....no ? I don't see how the scenarios relate.
I never said that at all, I pretty much said you're well within your rights to pass down wealth. Just saying that in a sense the children get something for nothing though to be fair @Cubo de Sangre had a good response to that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
durbanik916
Back