Rolling with your instructor

Usually a few times a week and the sub instructors around the same. I try to roll with pretty much everyone I can.

few times a week. I love it, I watch what he does to make my defense look like a joke and I learn both to get my D better and to learn his offense

i roll with my instructor about once a week. he usually crushes me. i usually get better at the thing he previously crushed me with. he finds new ways to crush me. my game has developed alot since ive been able to get more frequent rolls with him

I think is was Matt Arroyo said something that made a lot of sense to me about rolling. He said:

You should always have 3 different rolling partners.

1) Someone much better than you to push you and make you learn defense
2) Someone worse than you so that you can practice offense
3) Someone at your same level to round out your game

So when you're rolling with your instructor remember that you're learning a whole lot of defense, but you're still learning.

I think is was Matt Arroyo said something that made a lot of sense to me about rolling. He said:

You should always have 3 different rolling partners.

1) Someone much better than you to push you and make you learn defense
2) Someone worse than you so that you can practice offense
3) Someone at your same level to round out your game

So when you're rolling with your instructor remember that you're learning a whole lot of defense, but you're still learning.

Rolling with my instructors (in category 1) is also the big test for the part of my offense that has been successful against 2) and 3). If I'm able to get anywhere with it against my instructors I have a good thing going, if I don't, then I need to go back to the drawing board with those techniques even if they're successful at a lower level.

1st Gym--small class, rolled with BB coach every time I went
2nd Gym--about 30 people per class, rolled with BB head coach less than five times in a year and some, rolled with Brown coaches all the time
3rd Gym--about 30 people per class, never rolled with BB name on the door coaches, very rarely roll with people of any level who teach, but frequently roll with really good brown and black belts

I expect a coach from a gym like Gym 1 to roll, and do not imagine coaches from a gym like 3 to ever roll. It'd be nice, but it's unrealistic.

I don't roll with my coach often. He usually rolls with the purples and above and only occasionally with whites-blues. Last time I roll with him was before my last tournament and he let me work my A game, giving me tips and adjustments here and there in prevision of the competition. It was really helpful.

i'm a newer blue and obviously, I can't do nothing on him that he's not letting me do.

I roll with my coach in almost all of the classes that he teaches, and when we go we go for a long time, and then he gives me great advice on everything.

In the fall I was able to be utilized in my coaches training camp for ADCC. I rolled with him and other known people. My level of ability increased drastically in a short amount of time.(it was not apparent rolling with him, or Cavaca, but very apparent when I rolled with "normal" students again) I got my ass kicked regularly for 6-8 weeks, and LOVED it.

I get to roll with my BB instructor every time im in there. Its a small club with about 15 - 20 students most night classes.

I rolled with my BB instructor from day one.

I always enjoyed it.

Very regularly. The gym is a bit smaller, and he usually rolls to round out the numbers. He beats the crap out of me, but every once in a while I can take him down and it makes me happy.

Usually once a week with my BB instructor...I notice when he rolls, he's always always always moving...he does submissions step by step and I see them coming, but can't stop them.

I always try and avoid rolling with my instructor. He's relentless and usually just leaves me feeling frustrated.

I roll with one of my black belt instructors at least once a week. During that roll I typically get lots of pointers to help me out and get me to work on new stuff. It is a great experience and definitely assists me in expanding my game to continuously progress. These instructors have no egos so they are not just destroying me repeatedly. Its almost like a mini private.

I roll with my BB instructor bout every other week or so. I learn more rolling with him than anyone. If you do it right, he lets you have it. If you do it wrong he shuts you down then after he tells what you did wrong. He will usually let you submit him if you do everything correctlly, but he ALWAYS rolls with you again and submits you the same way to make sure you know the pecking order.

I roll with my instructor at least once a day for 10-20 mins. I learn ALOT just rolling with anyone especially him. I just keep my mind open and "flow with the go" and pay attention to how my opponent reacts, and try and pick up on what they do. My instuctor feels that rolling with us makes us better because he keeps a look out for anything we need to work on and then works with us. He also like having the more green guys roll and drill with the more experienced guys.

Back