Rolling with your instructor

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by stile0, Sep 3, 2010.

1. stile0

stile0 Purple Belt

How often do you get to roll with your instructor? If you roll often do you think rolling with your coach makes a huge difference?

I get to roll with our head black belt probably once every couple of weeks. I don't feel like I really learn anything from it except some humility.

I roll with our purple belt instructor at least once a week. He is in charge of the majority of our classes and I think it helps him more than me because it's a good way for him to figure out what we need to work on as a class. I don't take these rolling sessions for granted though and it's great to be able to experience higher levels of bjj.

2. Wandgun

Wandgun Orange Belt

I roll with our instructor if he pops into king of guard, but that's about it. We have a couple purples and a ton of blues that I roll with a lot.

3. MMA junkie

MMA junkie Purple Belt

He helps quite a bit. Flows really well and gives me pointers.

4. redaxe

redaxe Silver Belt

I roll with one of our black belt instructors once every couple of weeks. I think I learn a lot from it, it's a good opportunity to practice my defense. If I get a good position I have to keep super tight control or else he will escape instantly. If I get in a bad position I have to be really careful to protect my arms and neck or I will be tapping instantly.

Basically it's good for me because it helps me figure out which parts of my game are still sloppy.

5. curb1850

curb1850 Green Belt

Once in a while I roll with our blackbelt instructor. He tends to hop in if we have an odd number of guys.

Usually he lets me try something and makes me work hard on an escape or something. Generally he gives me something to work on and some tips about that position/move.

I simply can't move him, lol.

6. An end for

An end for Purple Belt

My black belt teacher likes to roll with the whitebelts when he wants to try something, look for new things, or see how are we doing. The rolls are very flowy, until he decides he's had enough and uses his top game on us. He prides himself on never rolling hard against any of his students, only rolling "tight".

The purple belt instructor just likes to do his thing. He trains his takedown defense and plays various guards.

7. redaxe

redaxe Silver Belt

The other thing I noticed about rolling with my instructor is that his posture is always too good for me to attempt guard submissions. As soon as I try to break his posture he starts passing and keeps me on the defensive.

I can sometimes pass guard, but as soon as I start setting up a submission that opens up an escape. I can't hold side control or mount on my instructor and set up a submission at the same time, as soon as I go for the sub he just escapes/gets his guard back.

The only time I've ever come close to submitting a black belt instructor, was when I took his back. But I still have never managed to finish the choke before he either escaped or the time ran out.

8. kramer733

kramer733 Blue Belt

I've only rolled with my instructor twice for the time i've been there. (2 years or more) He's a great guy but i feel like i raelly have to get better in order to feel i'm worthy of rolling with him.

9. Doctor Venture

Doctor Venture Black Belt

It depends on how often I show up at BJJ. If I do 4 classes a week for a month or two it seems like he pays me more attention. He will roll with any of us almost any time we ask. It makes a huge difference because he shows me exactly what I am doing wrong and how to make it right, and then throws in a little of the mental aspect too.

For Judo I randori weekly with our black belt instructors. At least one every class will go off to the side and work something with me, whether it is to help me or see if a certain combo will work. Im told Im a good uke, and I dont ever mind being thrown. So if they are working something on their own, they use me as uke then they walk me through what they are doing. Its an awesome learning experience, I just stayed a half hour late last night and learned as much in that half hour as I did in the two hour class.

10. SuperSuperRambo

SuperSuperRambo Senior Moderator Senior Moderator

I don't roll with him as often as I used to, maybe once every couple of weeks now (although I'm always the uke). It makes a difference because things I do that work on others often don't work on him, so I can see where my technique needs to tighten up. Also he can expose holes in my game that I get away with when rolling with other training partners.

11. Title Fight Productions

Title Fight Productions Steel Belt

Nice! This will go into my mental Rolodex for sure.:cool:

12. lowdown1

lowdown1 Orange Belt

once a week I will roll with my instructor, or more like try to pass his guard for an hour. No matter how hard I train he still makes me feel like I don't know shit,(In the grand scheme of things I don't) but its awesome to experience the timing and flow of someone who is at black belt lvl.

13. rowdstar

rowdstar Orange Belt

i switched schools and this was one of the reasons. i now get to roll with a black belt instructor every class, at least twice. oh, and its andre galvao btw, so no slouch.

14. KaosX

KaosX Banned Banned

At least once per class. It's good because you can ask for feedback and instantly get to the source of your problems.

15. hcteks

hcteks White Belt

I roll with my instructor all the time. It's usually no-gi but the way he flows into different positions, top and bottom is amazing. He'll stop and give you pointers on escapes and repositioning. It's always nice to see how far you've come when you first started rolling with him to where you are now.

16. adoniscomplex

adoniscomplex Orange Belt

the owner of my gym is a black belt
    i roll with him maybe once a week , he's pretty much down to roll whenever but it feels sort of point less to me , theres nothing i can do to offer any challenge and he just messes around the whole time , he's like 40 steps ahead of me

we have 2 brown and 1 purple instructors that i roll with and feel like atleast i make them think a little

17. Sloth

Sloth Brown Belt

I roll with one of my instructors 3-4 times a week and the other one about once every other week. I think it makes a big difference because they know how to shut down every single thing I do and while there are plenty of other guys at the school tuatara more skilled than me, the instructors give me the best feedback and help me with my weaknesses the most

18. Rws177die

Rws177die Yellow Belt

Maybe three times in a year

19. Mumrik

Mumrik Silver Belt

2-3 times every session. He is not some famous BJJ BB though. He's a former national JJ coach in my small country.

20. mtruitt76

mtruitt76 Purple Belt

I roll with by black belt world champion instructor everyday :)

It is a humbling experience to say the least in over a year I have never scored a point on him even though I out weigh him by 50 lbs. I have learned a lot though and it has made me tougher. Also I have been choked so many times I have started to build a tolerance to chokes (no joke).